Should Mao include the 3 ax in Vancouver? | Golden Skate

Should Mao include the 3 ax in Vancouver?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Arguments for or against? I just read the article on the Golden Skate mainpage about her figuring out @ 4CCs whether it will go in or not.

Personally, I think she doesn't need it and I'd rather see her skate with clean, fully rotated jumps.

silversprings77

Rinkside
guess she tried in the SP at 4CC and it didn't go well.

I htink she should take it out of the short program...by doing that, she takes the pressure off herself and sets herself up nicely for a podium run. Then only do 1 in the long....if she does that then she will be on the podium.

but i think if she keeps on trying 3 3A's...she won't make the podium....or maybe even top 5 beause after she makes a mistake onthe axel she tends to "check out" on her program

miki88

Medalist
Well she does have a backup plan in which she does not try to 3A in the short, so maybe she goes for that after 4CC results. But I think she will stick to 2 3As in LP.

N

n_halifax

I'm not a Mao fan - but I think the 3axel is the best thing she has going for her (maybe not in the SP but in the FS definitely). Worth a shot most definitely. :thumbsup:

miki88

Medalist
I just saw an old clip of Midori Ito doing a 3A-3T in practices and it was so impressive! She really gets great height into them. So it got me wondering if it might be a good idea for Ito to help Mao on her 3A. Perhaps if Mao gets more height in her 3A, it might get ratified more.

M

mylastduchess

putting a 3A in the short is very risky, in the long its okay cause it wouldn't be as costly under-rotating the jump.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well she does have a backup plan in which she does not try to 3A in the short, so maybe she goes for that after 4CC results. But I think she will stick to 2 3As in LP.

What is her back up plan? Does it include a 3-3? If it doesn't include a 3-3 can she hope to be within striking range of Yuna Kim after the SP anyway? (asuming Yuna is clean.)

kandidy

Final Flight
I thinkonly one in LP (3axel+2t) is really enough and low risk, see she won world 2008 by that jump layout.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I say keep it out of the SP... then, she can decide at that moment in the LP when she goes out whether or not to throw it in.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
In my opinion, Mao needs to take risks as if she doesnt Yu-na may just run away with the gold. Mao doesnt have a 3-3 under her belt and the only way in which she can garner points is through the 3A....So I would answer yes to the original question.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In my opinion, Mao needs to take risks as if she doesnt Yu-na may just run away with the gold.

that's why I say play it safe in the SP - leave it out. Who knows how Yuna's going to fare under the extreme pressure she will be under from her country, the sport at large, the media in general and that weirdness that hits people when it's *the olympics*

how many skaters "favored to win" don't just because of some fluke that only seems to hit when it's the Winter Games? Yuna's not 100% all the time.

Play it safe in the short, see what you need to win in the long (if she skates before Yuna in the LP go for broke... if she skates after Yuna let Yuna determine what gets thrown out there)

BlackAxel

Final Flight
that's why I say play it safe in the SP - leave it out. Who knows how Yuna's going to fare under the extreme pressure she will be under from her country, the sport at large, the media in general and that weirdness that hits people when it's *the olympics*

how many skaters "favored to win" don't just because of some fluke that only seems to hit when it's the Winter Games? Yuna's not 100% all the time.

Play it safe in the short, see what you need to win in the long (if she skates before Yuna in the LP go for broke... if she skates after Yuna let Yuna determine what gets thrown out there)

You do have a good point, Tonichelle. However, the main thing that I am worrying about is Yu-na's large lead over Mao and the rest of the field with her 3-3 combo. Before, I was against Mao's 3A in the short since it was waaayy to risky. But if Yu-na nails all her jumps in the SP, she could be sitting pretty at the top with a score that I think will break her previous SP record. Albeit, Yu-na is a little less consistent with her LP, Mao's needs to garner as many points as she can through her SP and LP. And since she doesnt have any 3-3's, the only way she has an edge over Yu-na is with her 3A.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You do have a good point, Tonichelle. However, the main thing that I am worrying about is Yu-na's large lead over Mao and the rest of the field with her 3-3 combo. Before, I was against Mao's 3A in the short since it was waaayy to risky. But if Yu-na nails all her jumps in the SP, she could be sitting pretty at the top with a score that I think will break her previous SP record. Albeit, Yu-na is a little less consistent with her LP, Mao's needs to garner as many points as she can through her SP and LP. And since she doesnt have any 3-3's, the only way she has an edge over Yu-na is with her 3A.

true, but... if Mao doesn't hit the 3ax and it's under rotated and she falls there's no way she'll win anyway and the lead that Yuna has will be even greater...

there's no perfect answer/plan to beat Yuna... but the pressure is going to be killer for Kim in Vancouver (not just with her home country but I think the international media as well will be breathing down her neck). I hope I'm wrong for her sake. No one should have to deal with that pressure and the disappointment of not making it happen at the olympics. it's devastating to watch no matter if they're a favorite or not.

bekalc

Record Breaker
true, but... if Mao doesn't hit the 3ax and it's under rotated and she falls there's no way she'll win anyway and the lead that Yuna has will be even greater...

there's no perfect answer/plan to beat Yuna... but the pressure is going to be killer for Kim in Vancouver (not just with her home country but I think the international media as well will be breathing down her neck). I hope I'm wrong for her sake. No one should have to deal with that pressure and the disappointment of not making it happen at the olympics. it's devastating to watch no matter if they're a favorite or not.

I highly doubt that Orser will let the international media anywhere near Yu-na. She's not going to be staying at the Olympic village and she won't be arriving at the Olympics until a few days before her competition starts. They've already announced that there will be no more interviews. Orser is going to try to keep her as isolated as possible from the media horde.

As for pressure, I'm having a hard time thinking that Yu-na is somehow going to be under that much more pressure than Mao for example. And Joannie will have huge pressure. The Olympics is huge pressure for everyone. If anything I think that the fact that Yu-na has already shown she can be beaten, and that's she not going to be putting up world record scores, if anything I think thats taken some of the pressure off her.

Orser said that he thinks its a good thing she lost a short and a long program this season because it means Yu-na will know she'll have to fight and go into her programs fighting.

Sophia KP

Rinkside
I think Mao's 3A is not perfect. Her 3A is UR and sometimes cheated.

but cuz she don't have 3-3 combo and 3lz, she should include her 3A in the "LONG program".

Bennett

Record Breaker
At this point of time, perhaps there's no choice for her but to go for it. Her confidence seems to be dependent on that jump, and things seem to be looking better than before. She would regret if she doesn't try it. Her backup plan is not meant to be for that. It's only for the case when her 3A turns into 2A. So I don't see it happening. She also does not have the coach to help such a strategic decision-making.

It's just too late to change anything.

miki88

Medalist
I wonder why it's harder for her to land one in SP compared to LP. The chances of her landing two 3A in LP seems to be higher than just one in SP. Is it because she needs to have a set up for this jump but in SP, there is not enough time in the beg for the set up so she doesn't have enough speed going in?

Barb

Record Breaker
I wonder why it's harder for her to land one in SP compared to LP. The chances of her landing two 3A in LP seems to be higher than just one in SP. Is it because she needs to have a set up for this jump but in SP, there is not enough time in the beg for the set up so she doesn't have enough speed going in?

I think Is more difficult because is just one and its crucial, she get very nervous.

and of course Mao needs try 3 3a in Vancouver, she has not option (if she wants the gold medal).Right now is very late for a change.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
of course Mao needs try 3 3a in Vancouver, she has not option (if she wants the gold medal)
I disagree. I don't think she needs 3 of them. What are the odds of her completing the rotation in the short? If not, she'll be credited for a double axel. Wouldn't any other fully rotated jump be better? Also, she has to do a circle of crossovers into the 3ax and that has to hurt her from a Program Components prespective. I don't see Tarasova being able to let go of the 3ax, I don't know about the Japanese Federation. If I were her coach, I'd let her try it in the LP (just one) and play it safe in the short. If she goes for the 3axa nd underrotates it, she'd better hope the other contenders miss the combo completely. I think Mao has a good shot at the gold without the 3ax but not with it, even if it's landed, unless all 3 are completed rotated (which I just do not see happening).