Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Podium Predictions

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Podium Predictions

MEN:
    Plushenko has been the only skater who has proved he is solid in both the short and the long. Abbott has the ability to beat him, but likely will falter at such a big event. Lysacek’s short will place him too far behind Plushenko to catch up.

1. Plushenko
    2. Lysacek
    3. Abbott
    4. Joubert
    5. Lambiel
    6. Takahashi

Spoilers: Chan, Oda, Breznia

WOMEN:
    If Kim performs either program perfectly, she’ll win. Flatt will likely place second in the free skate, so she needs to make sure she isn’t too far behind in the short. Ando could secure a medal with her short, while Asada’s inability to skate a good short will be her undoing.
    1. Kim
    2. Flatt
    3. Ando
    4. Suzuki
    5. Rochette
    6. Asada

Spoilers: Kostner, Nagasu, Lepisto

PAIRS:
    Shen/Zhao win hands down unless Kavaguti/Smirnov pull off quads in both short and long. Savchenko/Szolkowy have had bad long programs, which could keep them off the medal stand entirely. If Pang/Tong skate two solid programs, the silver should be theirs.
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Pang/Tong
    3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    5. Mukhortova/Trankov
    6. Zhang/Zhang

Spoilers: Dube/Davison, Volosohozhar/Morozov, Langlois/Hay

DANCE:
    Davis/White will start off the competition in third in the compulsory dance. They’ll go on to surpass Domina/Shabalin, but Virtue/Moir will win the free skate, securing the gold. Meanwhile, the compulsory will likely place Belbin/Agosto too far behind to knock D/S off the medal stand.
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Davis/White
    3. Domina/Shabalin
    4. Belbin/Agosto
    5. Faiella/Scali
    6. Khoklova/Novitski

Spoilers: Pechalat/Bourzat, Kerr/Kerr, Delobel/Schoenfelder

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by louieb2009 View Post
    MEN:
    Plushenko has been the only skater who has proved he is solid in both the short and the long. Abbott has the ability to beat him, but likely will falter at such a big event. Lysacek’s short will place him too far behind Plushenko to catch up.

1. Plushenko
    2. Lysacek
    3. Abbott
    4. Joubert
    5. Lambiel
    6. Takahashi

WOMEN:
    If Kim performs either program perfectly, she’ll win. Flatt will likely place second in the free skate, so she needs to make sure she isn’t too far behind in the short. Ando could secure a medal with her short, while Asada’s inability to skate a good short will be her undoing.
    1. Kim
    2. Flatt
    3. Ando
    4. Suzuki
    5. Rochette
    6. Asada

PAIRS:
    Shen/Zhao win hands down unless Kavaguti/Smirnov pull off quads in both short and long. Savchenko/Szolkowy have had bad long programs, which could keep them off the medal stand entirely. If Pang/Tong skate two solid programs, the silver should be theirs.
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Pang/Tong
    3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    5. Mukhortova/Trankov
    6. Zhang/Zhang

DANCE:
    Davis/White will start off the competition in third in the compulsory dance. They’ll go on to surpass Domina/Shabalin, but Virtue/Moir will win the free skate, securing the gold. Meanwhile, the compulsory will likely place Belbin/Agosto too far behind to knock D/S off the medal stand.
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Davis/White
    3. Domina/Shabalin
    4. Belbin/Agosto
    5. Faiella/Scali
    6. Khoklova/Novitski

I will be really shocked if Flatt manages to take silver. Actually I will be kinda upset too~~~. That will only happen if all the others do kinda poorly. Yes, Rachel won the freeskate over Kim ONCE, but she still wasn't second, so I dunno how she can be second when her LP is second.

Rinkside
    Perhaps you are right. However, I don't think Asada or any of the European ladies will medal, so really all it would take is for Ando, Suzuki and Rochette to do poorly. Yet you make a good point; that could be unlikely (at least one of them has to do well right?)

Mashimaro on Ice
    Perhaps you are right. However, I don't think Asada or any of the European ladies will medal, so really all it would take is for Ando, Suzuki and Rochette to do poorly. Yet you make a good point; that could be unlikely (at least one of them has to do well right?)
    Well, I wouldn't count Mao out. It really depends on her competitors and if she bombs both SP and LP, cause she is known to come from behind with LP. Her and Miki are kind of unpredictable. Suzuki is the most consistent Japanese skater but her lower PCS at the lower end. But if the other top contenders falter, I expect her to medal. Rochette is unpredictable as well. Too hard to predict this because a lot of the top contenders are inconsistent and unpredictable

Custom Title
    In the ladies, I predict al ot of personal bests, but I also see the top five or top ten being decide in the short program. If you bomb the short you're out of the running.

Ladies:

1.Yu-Na
    2. Mao
    3. Any one of many, depending on how they skate. If they all skate clean, Carolina or Joannie. If not, there's Miki, Akiko and Rachel. To me, Rachel's an outside shot but it will come down to delivering on the day and I think she will whereas Joannie and Carolina are very iffy in that regard.

Men:

1. Plushy. He is not going to let anyone else have this. I think it will be a ridiculously decisive victory.
    2. Jeremy Abott.
    3. This is a huge toss-up between who brings it and who doesn't. You've got Chan, Lysacek, Lambiel, Joubert, Oda, Takahashi, Van der Perren.....

Pairs:
    1/2 Szolkowy & Savchenko vs. Shen and Zhao
    3. Whichever Chinese other pair skates better

Dance:
    1. Domnina and Shabalin will, according to Olympic tradition, be handed the gold, regardless of the performances.
    2/3. Virtue & Moir vs. Davis & White, depending on who skates best.

On the Ice

If flatt medals... I'll never watch skating again

If flatt medals I'll stop watching womens skating

MEN:

1. Plushenko
    2. Lysacek
    3. Abbott
    4. Joubert
    5. Lambiel
    6. Takahashi

WOMEN:
    1. Kim
    2. Flatt
    3. Ando
    4. Suzuki
    5. Rochette
    6. Asada

PAIRS:
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Pang/Tong
    3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    5. Mukhortova/Trankov
    6. Zhang/Zhang

DANCE:
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Davis/White
    3. Domina/Shabalin
    4. Belbin/Agosto
    5. Faiella/Scali
    6. Khoklova/Novitski

If Flatt medals... I'll never watch skating again

Quote Originally Posted by skatefancan View Post
    If flatt medals I'll stop watching womens skating
    And as god as my witness I'll never go hungry again.

I predict that, regardless of who will end up on the podium, there will be whining.

Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    I predict that, regardless of who will end up on the podium, there will be whining.
    Exactly. A few will claim to have seen URs on their Television which the judges and Tech Panel missed.

Down With It
    For those iPhone users out there, the official NBCOlympics app is now out. It's cool...you can choose favorite sports and athletes to follow. I chose Lindsey Vonn, Figure Skating, Rachel Flatt and Mirai Nagasu

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Ice dancing is the only discipline I can hazard an educated guess, because the judges seem to have made their minds up long before the competition. So:

Gold: Davis/White
    Silver: Domnina Shabalin (Boo! Boooooo!)
    Bronze: Virtue/Moir

I'm a lot iffier on pairs, but based on this season so far and the mood of the judges:

Pairs:

Gold: Shen/Zhao
    Silver: Kavaguti/Smirnov
    Bronze: Savchenko/Szolkowy

The only thing I know in men's is that Plushenko will win. So:

Gold: Plushenko
    Silver: ?????
    Bronze: ?????

And ladies, is, by far, the most unpredictable. We've had a surprise winner the last 3 times, and it's only going to be more chaotic this time. The two frontrunners, Yu Na and Mao, are having and will have some of the most intense media scrutiny ever trained on them. They are under an unimaginable amount of pressure. It will get to them. So:

Gold: ?????
    Silver: ?????
    Bronze: ?????

Rinkside
    For ladies..
    one thing for sure is that Yuna Kim will medal. She might not win the gold (although I believe she is the most favorite) but will still medal even if she makes some mistakes. But as for other ladies..I'm not sure. Mao, Joannie, and Miki..they are very likely to medal at this Olympics but if the mess something up? then it is possible for them to not medal.

On the Ice
    Well, for me ladies are the biggest question.
    OK, the gold is for Kim, but who will earn the silver and the bronz. I think Kostner is good, but maybe she will be too nervous to earn the bronze, and I reallly hope that Asada will be able to fight for the podium. I don't think the american girl will get medal, the are good, but they need more time to practice maybe in Sochi, but I'd like to watch there Caroline. Joannie has a big chance to be on the podium: she'll skate at home. So I think:
    1. Kim
    2. Joannie
    3. Asada

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I predict it's the Olympics and anything can happen, and like beep_beep said, there will for sure be a lot of whining going on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast