Podium Predictions | Golden Skate

Podium Predictions

louieb2009

Rinkside
MEN:
Plushenko has been the only skater who has proved he is solid in both the short and the long. Abbott has the ability to beat him, but likely will falter at such a big event. Lysacek’s short will place him too far behind Plushenko to catch up.

1. Plushenko
2. Lysacek
3. Abbott
4. Joubert
5. Lambiel
6. Takahashi

Spoilers: Chan, Oda, Breznia

WOMEN:
If Kim performs either program perfectly, she’ll win. Flatt will likely place second in the free skate, so she needs to make sure she isn’t too far behind in the short. Ando could secure a medal with her short, while Asada’s inability to skate a good short will be her undoing.
1. Kim
2. Flatt
3. Ando
4. Suzuki
5. Rochette
6. Asada

Spoilers: Kostner, Nagasu, Lepisto

PAIRS:
Shen/Zhao win hands down unless Kavaguti/Smirnov pull off quads in both short and long. Savchenko/Szolkowy have had bad long programs, which could keep them off the medal stand entirely. If Pang/Tong skate two solid programs, the silver should be theirs.
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Pang/Tong
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
5. Mukhortova/Trankov
6. Zhang/Zhang

Spoilers: Dube/Davison, Volosohozhar/Morozov, Langlois/Hay

DANCE:
Davis/White will start off the competition in third in the compulsory dance. They’ll go on to surpass Domina/Shabalin, but Virtue/Moir will win the free skate, securing the gold. Meanwhile, the compulsory will likely place Belbin/Agosto too far behind to knock D/S off the medal stand.
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Domina/Shabalin
4. Belbin/Agosto
5. Faiella/Scali
6. Khoklova/Novitski

Spoilers: Pechalat/Bourzat, Kerr/Kerr, Delobel/Schoenfelder

miki88

Medalist
MEN:
Plushenko has been the only skater who has proved he is solid in both the short and the long. Abbott has the ability to beat him, but likely will falter at such a big event. Lysacek’s short will place him too far behind Plushenko to catch up.

1. Plushenko
2. Lysacek
3. Abbott
4. Joubert
5. Lambiel
6. Takahashi

Spoilers: Chan, Oda, Breznia

WOMEN:
If Kim performs either program perfectly, she’ll win. Flatt will likely place second in the free skate, so she needs to make sure she isn’t too far behind in the short. Ando could secure a medal with her short, while Asada’s inability to skate a good short will be her undoing.
1. Kim
2. Flatt
3. Ando
4. Suzuki
5. Rochette
6. Asada

Spoilers: Kostner, Nagasu, Lepisto

PAIRS:
Shen/Zhao win hands down unless Kavaguti/Smirnov pull off quads in both short and long. Savchenko/Szolkowy have had bad long programs, which could keep them off the medal stand entirely. If Pang/Tong skate two solid programs, the silver should be theirs.
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Pang/Tong
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
5. Mukhortova/Trankov
6. Zhang/Zhang

Spoilers: Dube/Davison, Volosohozhar/Morozov, Langlois/Hay

DANCE:
Davis/White will start off the competition in third in the compulsory dance. They’ll go on to surpass Domina/Shabalin, but Virtue/Moir will win the free skate, securing the gold. Meanwhile, the compulsory will likely place Belbin/Agosto too far behind to knock D/S off the medal stand.
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Domina/Shabalin
4. Belbin/Agosto
5. Faiella/Scali
6. Khoklova/Novitski

Spoilers: Pechalat/Bourzat, Kerr/Kerr, Delobel/Schoenfelder

I will be really shocked if Flatt manages to take silver. Actually I will be kinda upset too~~~. That will only happen if all the others do kinda poorly. Yes, Rachel won the freeskate over Kim ONCE, but she still wasn't second, so I dunno how she can be second when her LP is second.

louieb2009

Rinkside
Perhaps you are right. However, I don't think Asada or any of the European ladies will medal, so really all it would take is for Ando, Suzuki and Rochette to do poorly. Yet you make a good point; that could be unlikely (at least one of them has to do well right?) :)

miki88

Medalist
Perhaps you are right. However, I don't think Asada or any of the European ladies will medal, so really all it would take is for Ando, Suzuki and Rochette to do poorly. Yet you make a good point; that could be unlikely (at least one of them has to do well right?) :)

Well, I wouldn't count Mao out. It really depends on her competitors and if she bombs both SP and LP, cause she is known to come from behind with LP. Her and Miki are kind of unpredictable. Suzuki is the most consistent Japanese skater but her lower PCS at the lower end. But if the other top contenders falter, I expect her to medal. Rochette is unpredictable as well. Too hard to predict this because a lot of the top contenders are inconsistent and unpredictable :cool:

jovani2293

On the Ice
In the ladies, I predict al ot of personal bests, but I also see the top five or top ten being decide in the short program. If you bomb the short you're out of the running.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Ladies:

1.Yu-Na
2. Mao
3. Any one of many, depending on how they skate. If they all skate clean, Carolina or Joannie. If not, there's Miki, Akiko and Rachel. To me, Rachel's an outside shot but it will come down to delivering on the day and I think she will whereas Joannie and Carolina are very iffy in that regard.

Men:

1. Plushy. He is not going to let anyone else have this. I think it will be a ridiculously decisive victory.
2. Jeremy Abott.
3. This is a huge toss-up between who brings it and who doesn't. You've got Chan, Lysacek, Lambiel, Joubert, Oda, Takahashi, Van der Perren.....

Pairs:
1/2 Szolkowy & Savchenko vs. Shen and Zhao
3. Whichever Chinese other pair skates better

Dance:
1. Domnina and Shabalin will, according to Olympic tradition, be handed the gold, regardless of the performances.
2/3. Virtue & Moir vs. Davis & White, depending on who skates best.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Pairs
Shen / Zhao for the gold: they seem to have better programs than S/S, and I'm also kind of romantic who think they deserves gold!
S/S had a bad season, or they get all together for the Olympics, or they risk also the silver. But I think they can manage to be 2nd.

Bronze: no idea...I think a bunch of couples can get it. Kavaguti Smirnov arrive in Vancouver as EuroChamps and that make they look a bit favourites.

Spoilers: M/T, Z/Z, Pang/Tong, Dube/Davison

Dance
Domnina/Shabalin, if don't fall or great errors, should keep up the tradition...

IF there's a different judging, I think D/W and V/M for gold and silver (it depends on who skates best)

2 russians team, french, Faiella-scali, Belbin/agosto for bronze

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Men

1) Plushenko
2) Lysacek
3) Lambiel

Women

1) Kim
2) Asada
3) Flatt

Pairs

1) Shen and Zhao
2) Savchenko and Szolkowy
3) Kawaguti and Smirnov

Dance

1) Davis and White
2) Virtue and Moir
3) Belbin and Agosto

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I have a feeling, Rochette will take home gold... My favorite is Asada but she has been getting UR calls on lots of jumps... Yu-Na, I think will collapse because she's under too much pressure! But I think she'll lead after short program!

Short Program

1. Yu-Na Kim 74.00-75 ( Judges will be a lot more strict )
2. Joannie Rochette 68.00/70.00 with a 3-3 she'll go into early 70s
3. Mao Asada 65-70 ( I think she'll take third or fourth if Carolina/Mirai/Rachel skates better then her if she gets her 3A, 3F and everything ratified she might go into second place )

Miki, I think will score below 65...

Free Skate

1. Joannie skates her best ever and scores 130+
2. Yu-Na fall on her flip and two foot her 2A+3T... 125??
3. Battle for bronze!! Mao just might take home bronze!!

I think Yu-Na can definitely win it!! Mao can win it with a clean skate but it's held in Canada and all...:agree::agree:

Sernando

Rinkside
Men

1) Plushenko
2) Abbott
3) Lambiel

Women

1) Kim
2) Asada
3) Rochette

Pairs

1) Shen and Zhao
2) Savchenko and Szolkowy
3) Pang/Tong

Dance
1) Davis and White
2) Virtue and Moir
3) Belbin and Agosto or D/S

miki88

Medalist
I have a feeling, Rochette will take home gold... My favorite is Asada but she has been getting UR calls on lots of jumps... Yu-Na, I think will collapse because she's under too much pressure! But I think she'll lead after short program!

Short Program

2. Joannie Rochette 68.00/70.00 with a 3-3 she'll go into early 70s
3. Mao Asada 65-70 ( I think she'll take third or fourth if Carolina/Mirai/Rachel skates better then her if she gets her 3A, 3F and everything ratified she might go into second place )

Miki, I think will score below 65...

Free Skate

1. Joannie skates her best ever and scores 130+
2. Yu-Na fall on her flip and two foot her 2A+3T... 125??
3. Battle for bronze!! Mao just might take home bronze!!

I think Yu-Na can definitely win it!! Mao can win it with a clean skate but it's held in Canada and all...:agree::agree:

Wow. Definitely can see this scenario becoming true. :yes:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
:frown:

Judges are stricter, but Kim's in the mid-70s :rofl: Exactly why my money's on Kim :agree: Yu-na has uncharacteristically faltered this season, but I would say that's the exception, rather than the rule. She tends to be very strong after a long hiatus from international competition because she's able to purge all of her little devils in that time and gain a calm of mind. Expect to see two masterful performances front and back.

My dream podium is (1) Kim (2) Asada (3) Rochette or Miki, but after the 4CC SP and the Canadian Nationals, I have doubts about (2) and (3). Joannie, when she's on, she's ON. CONFLAGRATION ON! Although her performances are not my cup of tea, she definitely knows how to get the crowd hollering for more...and we cannot deny that the Games are behind held in Canada ;)

My predicted scenarios for SP are exactly the same as pokky_oc. The LPs are close, with the exception that I think Kim will falter not on the flip, but one of the jumps further into the program (like the 3S at 2009 worlds). She has poor stamina. I also think Joannie will deliver a clean SP, but not a clean LP. She skates exceptionally at Nationals, true, but she has been known to falter on the bigger, international stage. So which Joannie will skate that night? The Nationals Joannie or the Worlds Joannie? I think the latter. The pressure's simply staggering. But I still think Joannie will do more than enough to win silver. :agree:

Mao :cry: I don't know what to expect from her now. She's been on such a ride this season. I expected her to gain momentum after Nationals, but that 4CC SP :frown: Her Olympic PCS is another worry. The judges are indeed subjective and consider reputation and recent performances when giving PCS. I don't know how that bodes for Mao... She was supposed to dominate 4CC with her clearly superior skating and that 3A that has returned.. But of course there is the LP. I might be jumping to hasty conclusions. The SP is just the SP, and that has never been Mao's stronghold. I hope I return to change my predictions soon.

Sorry for the rant :p
My predictions are
Ladies
1. Kim
2. Rochette
3. Asada

Men
1. Plushenko
2. Abbott
3. Chan

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Not sure

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Men:

1.) Joubert
2.) Plushenko
3.) Lysacek
4.) Abbott
5.) Lambiel/Verner

Ladies:

1.) Kim
2.) Ando
3.) Asada/Kostner
4.) Rochette
5.) Flatt

But who knows, the ice is SLIPPERY! :agree:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow, a lot of people are betting on Flatt more. Well, it's become pretty unpredictable with Joannie, Miki, Mao and Carolina having such spotty seasons. Yuna and Flatt have really been the only reliable ones, I'll give you that.

Mirai and Akiko have been fairly consistent but they suffer from technical glitches and don't have that much international experience.

Hmmmm......

Here goes:

1. Kim
2. Mao
3 Akiko

But I reserve the right to change my mind every day until the SP :)

Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Evan
3. Jeremy/Oda/Joubert/Lambiel/Weir

figuristka

Medalist
Ladies:
1 Yuna Kim
2 Asada
3 Rochette
4 Akiko
5 Ando

Men:

1 Plushenko
2 Lambiel
3 Abbott
4 Joubert
5 Lysacek

Dance

D/W
V/M
D/S
B/A

Pairs

S/Z Ch
S/S Ger
K/S Rus

Ituriel

On the Ice
Ladies
G: Yu Na Kim
S: Miki Ando
B: Johannie Rocchette

Men
G: Daisuke Takahashi
S: Brian Joubert
B: Eugeny Plushenko

Pairs:
G: Shen/Zhao
S: Savchenko/Szolkowy
B: Kavaguti/Smirnov

Dance:
G: Virtue/Moir
S: Davis/White
B: Delobel/Schoenfelder

pokky_oc

On the Ice
:frown:

Judges are stricter, but Kim's in the mid-70s :rofl: Exactly why my money's on Kim :agree: Yu-na has uncharacteristically faltered this season, but I would say that's the exception, rather than the rule. She tends to be very strong after a long hiatus from international competition because she's able to purge all of her little devils in that time and gain a calm of mind. Expect to see two masterful performances front and back.

My dream podium is (1) Kim (2) Asada (3) Rochette or Miki, but after the 4CC SP and the Canadian Nationals, I have doubts about (2) and (3). Joannie, when she's on, she's ON. CONFLAGRATION ON! Although her performances are not my cup of tea, she definitely knows how to get the crowd hollering for more...and we cannot deny that the Games are behind held in Canada ;)

My predicted scenarios for SP are exactly the same as pokky_oc. The LPs are close, with the exception that I think Kim will falter not on the flip, but one of the jumps further into the program (like the 3S at 2009 worlds). She has poor stamina. I also think Joannie will deliver a clean SP, but not a clean LP. She skates exceptionally at Nationals, true, but she has been known to falter on the bigger, international stage. So which Joannie will skate that night? The Nationals Joannie or the Worlds Joannie? I think the latter. The pressure's simply staggering. But I still think Joannie will do more than enough to win silver. :agree:

Mao :cry: I don't know what to expect from her now. She's been on such a ride this season. I expected her to gain momentum after Nationals, but that 4CC SP :frown: Her Olympic PCS is another worry. The judges are indeed subjective and consider reputation and recent performances when giving PCS. I don't know how that bodes for Mao... She was supposed to dominate 4CC with her clearly superior skating and that 3A that has returned.. But of course there is the LP. I might be jumping to hasty conclusions. The SP is just the SP, and that has never been Mao's stronghold. I hope I return to change my predictions soon.

Sorry for the rant :p
My predictions are
Ladies
1. Kim
2. Rochette
3. Asada

Men
1. Plushenko
2. Abbott
3. Chan

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Not sure

Haha!! Yeah!! Probably!! Mao just skated a strong free skate at the four continets, her program components were low... too low... but if she get 60-63 in her PCS she just might get the gold if she's not too behind in the short!! Yu-Na?? I think she could win the gold but when was the last time the favorite won?? Miki could win, Joannie could win and others too but I just think, it's anyone's gold!! And I do agree with Joannie might not skate her best free skate, too much pressure I think! I hope program componets will be fair for the Olympics!!! It'll be really unfair to give Yu-Na 70+ PCS and give Akiko 52 with around same technical score... That's just an example what I don't want seeing!! I am so excited though!!

Go YU-NA!! MAO! MIKI! JOANNIE! MIRAI! LAURA!!

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Miki and Akiko are both clean I highly doubt Akiko will beat her, not because she isn't good enough but because her PCS are always so low. Joannie also has high bomb potential, and if Carolina were to have an on night, she could easily be on the podium. Even Lepisto, if she could land, say 5 triples in the FS, her scores would be HUGE, considering the scores she's been getting for FS with 1, 2 and 3 triples recently.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Women

1) Miki
2) Yu-Na
3) Mao

I know, it seems crzay, but in he womens' event the favourite's haven't won in ages.

Men

God this is tough. The most obvious contenders are European, but lets be honest, there's little chance that an Olympic podium will be 100% European.

1) Plushenko
2) Joubert
3) Lysacek
4) Lambiel

The thing is, I honestly don't have a clue who will win gold (I don't even have a guttsy feeling). Brian will medal, I don't know what colour though. A North American skater will probably be on there, most likely Evan. I put Plush randomly on there - like I said I haven't got a clue who's gonna win. I think he should get bronze though, so he can have one of each!:laugh:

Ice Dancing

This is the toughest

1) Dom/Shabs (awful, I know. They're not worth all that, and many other skaters are far mush better, but seeing their scores so far...)
2) Del/Schoen
3) D/W
4) V/M
5) B/A

To be honest any of the 5 could be in any position.

Pairs

1) S/Z
2) P/T
3) S/S