Thread: Podium Predictions

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    Men
    Ladies
    Gold - Kim
    Silver - Asada
    Bronze - Rochette

I predict that Yu-na will skate two clean programs for the first time in her career.

And...
    after winning the Worlds at Torino, she will retire from competitive skating for a couple of years.
    Then she will come back and rejoin the Grand Prix circuit in the 2012-2013 season.

Her final competition will be at Sochi Olympic Games in 2014, and the podium will look like this:

Gold - Kim
    Silver - Murakami
    Bronze - Nagasu
    I love this prediction! Although I think it's more of a Dream Podium than a Podium Prediction I doubt Kim will be perfect for both programs, but I predict near perfection (and an OGM). I get the feeling this year's Ladies event will be far, far from the splatfest of 2006. I'm expecting the top contenders to bring their A game. They all seem to be in great shape both physically and mentally. They seem to be coping much better now that the Games are nearing.

... but then again I may be wrong. It is THE Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    every one skates fast in "You Tube". Even Flatt, who we are comparing here against Kostner. Seeing her live she is not any faster than any other. A real noticeable fast one is Yuna, but she even doesn't skate as fast live as she does on TV, or on You Tube.
    Not true.

I'm not a Kostner fan, but, objectively, the time it takes for her to cover the rink during the part of her spiral sequence where she changes edge is definitely much shorter than the other ladies.

every one skates fast in "You Tube". Even Flatt, who we are comparing here against Kostner. Seeing her live she is not any faster than any other. A real noticeable fast one is Yuna, but she even doesn't skate as fast live as she does on TV, or on You Tube.
    That isn't true at all. It is pretty obvious that she is very fast - I guess all the commentators that make statements on her amazing speed are just imagining it, then :sheesh:. It is very obvious how fast she is going, especially in her 2007 short performance at Worlds where it looks like she is going to crash into the boards when she steps into her spiral - but yet just rides that edge. That is a beautiful moment.

I'm hoping most of my predictions don't come true

Ladies:

1. Kim
    2. Ando
    3. Rochette or Asada

Men:
    1. Plushenko
    2. Lysacek
    3. Abbott

Pairs:
    1. Shen/Zhao (please skate gods!!)
    2. S/S
    3. K/S

Dance:
    1. V/M
    2. D/W
    3. D/S

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    I get the feeling this year's Ladies event will be far, far from the splatfest of 2006. I'm expecting the top contenders to bring their A game. They all seem to be in great shape both physically and mentally. They seem to be coping much better now that the Games are nearing.

... but then again I may be wrong. It is THE Olympics.
    Yes, it is shaping up to be quite an exciting event for figure skating.
    No major injuries, highly anticipated comebacks, lots of exciting first-time Olympians, no worries about too much/little snow, etc.

In the singles events, this is what we're getting:

Men
    4 World Champions
    3 Euro Champions
    4 4CC Champions
    5 GPF Champions

Ladies
    3 World Champions
    3 Euro Champions
    2 4CC Champions
    2 GPF Champions

What a treat!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    That isn't true at all. It is pretty obvious that she (Kostner) is very fast -
    The whole point of this part of the thread is that Kostner is not that much better than Flatt, aimed at all those who keeps knocking down Flatt.

Rinkside
    Changed my predictions. I don't know what made me think Flatt had a chance. Nationals euphoria I guess.

MEN (so much more unpredictable than the other fields!):
    1. Plushenko
    2. Lysacek
    3. Joubert
    other possibilities: Lambiel, Chan, Abbott, Takahashi

WOMEN:
    1. Kim
    2. Rochette
    3. Ando
    other possibilities: Asada

Pairs:
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3. Pang/Tong
    other possibilities: Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ice Dance (I really think it's some combo of these three):
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Davis/White
    3. Domina/Shabalin
    other possibilites: none.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Even if Mao gets a downgrade for her 3A, if she doesn't mess up her other elements in the SP, she will likely to be on the podium because she is known to come back strong in the LP. Flatt can't beat Mao unless she completely bombs her SP. Also how can Akiko be under Lepisto and Flatt??? That girl won a bronze medal at GPF; I definitely think she will be at least fourth or even be on the podium if the top contenders falter. Also I think people are giving Flatt way too much credit. I don't think the judges favor her that much. I mean she hasn't won a world medal and has not even qualified for a GPF. I don't even remember a skater who medalled at Olympics not having at least qualified for GPF or won a major medal prior to the games. This may happen if the field is pretty weak but the present field of skaters are so deep that I just don't see this happening. I see the Europeans having a better chance than Flatt. IMAO.
    Woah. Relax.

I was making a prediction of what I think may happen. You don't need to analyze every little detail. I feel that if Mao misses her 3 axel in the SP, the rest of it will fall apart, including the LP. This isn't what I WANT to happen, it is just my guess.

Is this your first or second Olympics?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcc102 View Post
    Woah. Relax.

I was making a prediction of what I think may happen. You don't need to analyze every little detail. I feel that if Mao misses her 3 axel in the SP, the rest of it will fall apart, including the LP. This isn't what I WANT to happen, it is just my guess.

Is this your first or second Olympics?
    It's actually my fourth Olympics. I have been watching since 1998, so I have seen all the upsets. But as her fan, I hope you'll understand why I responded that way. I just feel Mao regardless of how she'll place, will end on a strong note and not repeat her diastrous performance at GP earlier this season.

I think Mao will have a good showing, also.

On the Ice
    Pairs:
    1.SZ
    2.KS
    3.SS
    4.MT
    5.PT
    6.DD
    7.ZZ

Custom Title
    The whole point of this part of the thread is that Kostner is not that much better than Flatt, aimed at all those who keeps knocking down Flatt.

Are you sure you're watching the same skater as I am? I'm not trying to knock down Rachael, but Carolina beats out Rachael hands down in terms of jumps (height, distance covered, etc...that is, when she lands them), spins, footwork, skating skills, SPEED. The only thing I'd say Rachael clearly has over Carolina at this point is her consistency...which isn't really saying much, given how huge a headcase Carolina is.

And everyone does not look fast on Youtube. Granted, it's hard to objectively measure speed on video, but it's pretty obvious Carolina skates faster than Rachael and many other skaters based on her spiral sequence alone.

Custom Title
    Carolina has also such natural grace (not easy, being tall as she is): Rachael (sorry to say it) has the posture of a hockey player a lot of the time. Carolina strikes beautiful positions; Rachael hits her jumps and ticks off her elements one by one. I hope Rachael has a great Olympic experience because she earned it and it'll be great for her; but if I had to choose between the two of Rachael and Carolina, I'd chose Carolina in a heartbeat.

I think Mao should have a good showing. If not? what?
    I think I detected a bit of nervousness in Kim at GPF. Was this a one time thing?
    I think rochette should skate better than she has.

The little girls are now grown up, and young ladies must deal with nerves.

Custom Title
    1.) Kim
    2.) Ando
    3.) Asada

Asian domination with potential spoilers being:
    Rochette, Kostner, Suzuki (could very well end up on podium)
    Lepisto, Flatt, Nagasu, Leonova (less likely)

I think these are the only people who really have a shot. Although I wonder if Mirai got no downgrades if she would get scores to contend with the favorites, I feel like she deserves to, but would probably be kept down in PCS. Boo

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast