Podium Predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Podium Predictions

louieb2009

Rinkside
Changed my predictions. I don't know what made me think Flatt had a chance. Nationals euphoria I guess.

MEN (so much more unpredictable than the other fields!):
1. Plushenko
2. Lysacek
3. Joubert
other possibilities: Lambiel, Chan, Abbott, Takahashi

WOMEN:
1. Kim
2. Rochette
3. Ando
other possibilities: Asada

Pairs:
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
other possibilities: Kavaguti/Smirnov

Ice Dance (I really think it's some combo of these three):
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Domina/Shabalin
other possibilites: none.

bmcc102

Rinkside
Even if Mao gets a downgrade for her 3A, if she doesn't mess up her other elements in the SP, she will likely to be on the podium because she is known to come back strong in the LP. Flatt can't beat Mao unless she completely bombs her SP. Also how can Akiko be under Lepisto and Flatt??? :think: That girl won a bronze medal at GPF; I definitely think she will be at least fourth or even be on the podium if the top contenders falter. Also I think people are giving Flatt way too much credit. I don't think the judges favor her that much. I mean she hasn't won a world medal and has not even qualified for a GPF. I don't even remember a skater who medalled at Olympics not having at least qualified for GPF or won a major medal prior to the games. This may happen if the field is pretty weak but the present field of skaters are so deep that I just don't see this happening. I see the Europeans having a better chance than Flatt. IMAO.

Woah. Relax.

I was making a prediction of what I think may happen. You don't need to analyze every little detail. I feel that if Mao misses her 3 axel in the SP, the rest of it will fall apart, including the LP. This isn't what I WANT to happen, it is just my guess.

Is this your first or second Olympics? ;)

miki88

Medalist
Woah. Relax.

I was making a prediction of what I think may happen. You don't need to analyze every little detail. I feel that if Mao misses her 3 axel in the SP, the rest of it will fall apart, including the LP. This isn't what I WANT to happen, it is just my guess.

Is this your first or second Olympics? ;)

It's actually my fourth Olympics. I have been watching since 1998, so I have seen all the upsets. But as her fan, I hope you'll understand why I responded that way. I just feel Mao regardless of how she'll place, will end on a strong note and not repeat her diastrous performance at GP earlier this season.

evangeline

Record Breaker
The whole point of this part of the thread is that Kostner is not that much better than Flatt, aimed at all those who keeps knocking down Flatt.

:unsure:

Are you sure you're watching the same skater as I am? I'm not trying to knock down Rachael, but Carolina beats out Rachael hands down in terms of jumps (height, distance covered, etc...that is, when she lands them), spins, footwork, skating skills, SPEED. The only thing I'd say Rachael clearly has over Carolina at this point is her consistency...which isn't really saying much, given how huge a headcase Carolina is.

And everyone does not look fast on Youtube. Granted, it's hard to objectively measure speed on video, but it's pretty obvious Carolina skates faster than Rachael and many other skaters based on her spiral sequence alone.

Trewyn

Medalist
Carolina has also such natural grace (not easy, being tall as she is): Rachael (sorry to say it) has the posture of a hockey player a lot of the time. Carolina strikes beautiful positions; Rachael hits her jumps and ticks off her elements one by one. I hope Rachael has a great Olympic experience because she earned it and it'll be great for her; but if I had to choose between the two of Rachael and Carolina, I'd chose Carolina in a heartbeat.

I think Mao should have a good showing. If not? what?
I think I detected a bit of nervousness in Kim at GPF. Was this a one time thing?
I think rochette should skate better than she has.

The little girls are now grown up, and young ladies must deal with nerves.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
1.) Kim
2.) Ando
3.) Asada

Asian domination with potential spoilers being:
Rochette, Kostner, Suzuki (could very well end up on podium)
Lepisto, Flatt, Nagasu, Leonova (less likely)

I think these are the only people who really have a shot. Although I wonder if Mirai got no downgrades if she would get scores to contend with the favorites, I feel like she deserves to, but would probably be kept down in PCS. Boo

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Pairs

1. S & Z
2. S & S
3. K & S

I'm really rooting for S & Z!

Men

1. Plushenko
2. Abbott
3. Lysacek

What an amazing event this will be! I think Plushenko will win. I just don't think anyone else can match his mental toughness, jump consistency, and, most importantly, quad/triple combination. I know he doesn't match up to some of the other guys in terms of difficult transitions and complex choreography. However, he has, in spades, what some of the other men lack: Sheer, undeniable charisma. That "you-can't-take-your-eyes-off-him" quality. I'm predicting Abbott & Lysacek for the other two spots, but really it could also be any of the following: Lambiel, Oda, Takahashi, Joubert, Weir, Chan, Kozuka. I would love to see Johnny Weir end his career with an Olympic medal and am personally rooting for him, but doubt it will happen.

Dance

1. Davis & White
2. Virtue & Moir
3. Belbin & Agosto

I'm so looking forward to this competition. What an event. If the competition is judged fairly, Davis & White should win. Their OD and FD are both spectactular dances. Their speed, skill, and difficulty are absolutely the best in the field in my opinion. I know many people think Virtue & Moir are as good as or better than Meryl & Charlie, but I just simply disagree. To me, Scott & Tessa are slower, they are less well matched physically, their programs are less inventive and dynamic, and I also feel that Tessa's posture and flexibility through her back is not as good as Meryl's. (I'm sure I will be denounced vehemently by V/M fans for saying this. It is just my opinion.) I would love to see Tanith & Ben win bronze. I honestly think their dances this year are very solid and well delivered. In another year, against weaker competition, they might have won; but I just don't think they can match the difficulty of D/W and V/M. This podium is what I believe I should happen, but of course there is always the chance that politics will rear its ugly head, as it did last year at Worlds, and we could see Dom/Shab or Del/Schoes on or at the top of the podium. I think both of the top European teams are extremely talented, but let's face it, neither is at the top of their game at this point.

Ladies

1. Asada
2. Kim
3. Flatt

I feel like this event is the hardest to predict. Also, to be honest, I'm the least interested in it. None of the ladies has had an outstanding season, and none of them really has the complete package that I like to see in a ladies' champion. Despite all the hype about Yu-Na Kim, I just don't find her all that amazing. Yes, she has nice programs, great speed, and good presentation. However, her spins are nothing special, and she can only consistently land 3 triple jumps: Lutz, Salchow, and toe. Plus, of course, she's facing so much pressure. Yu-Na is absolutely the strong favorite, yet I also feel she's very beatable, if someone else can just manage to put together two clean programs (which seems extremely difficult for the ladies these days).

Enero

On the Ice
Men

1. Plushenko
2. Lysachek
3. Lambiel/Jourbert

Plushenko seems unbeatable at this point. Seems is the operative word. If he continues to bring his A-game I don’t think anyone will be able to catch him. However, if he slips up (no pun intended) I think it will be anyone’s game. That said, I think it will go as predicted above. Despite Lysachek’s issues this season he is a fighter. I think he will fight for a spot on the podium and will get one. Lambiel is still new to the game after a four year leave. I think he’ll still be a bit rusty. If Jourbert continues to have problems, he and Lambiel will fight it out for the bronze.

Women

1. Asada
2. Kim
3. Rochette/Ando

Yuna Kim is a beautiful skater with the full package, but she does have flaws, and we’ve seen this type of skater before. The Olympics does strange things to those ladies with the full package, and its not helping matters that this will be her first Olympics. I think Kim will continue the trend of the ladies favorite in the past few Olympics. She will have some issues, or she will be outskated. I know Mao has had her issues this season, but I think she will pull herself together and do what she needs to do to win. Rochette will thrive off the home town support and do well. Ando could sneak in for the bronze if Rochette have problems.

Pairs

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Pang/Tong
3. Savchenko/Szozkowy

S/S have been having a rough go of it this season. I think it will continue at the Olympics. Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong’s Olympic experience is a stronger than S/S. I think this will help the two Chinese teams tremendously.

Ice Dancing – I don’t watch much Ice Dancing, but I’m hoping for:

1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Domina/Shabalin

Last edited: