Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Podium Predictions

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Rachael does not skate with the same speed or power that Kim, Asada, Rochette, Kostner, and Ando have. They all have great flow accross the ice. Her PCS are going up but I have a hard time thinking they will be as high as the people I mentioned. Unless there's some serious politiking going on. Also in terms of quality, her jumps aren't going to get that high of GOE, in comparision to the GOE those five I mentioned are going to get on their great jumps.

Rachael's PCS have gone up, but they aren't going to go up that much further unless she makes some changes to her skating.
    I just said her PCS goes up and her TES also is going up so she's closing the gap between the top 4 quickly. I don't think anyone said her PCS now rivals the top 4.
    The point was, last year, the top 4 can make 1 mistake and still have a comfortable margin over Rachael. Not this year. They make one mistake, it will be close. They make 2 mistakes, Rachael will overtake them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    It's not noteworthy by itself, but very much so in the context I presented.
    Flatt has PCS advantage over Suzuki, regardless of the amount.
    Flatt TES is also stronger than Suzuki. So I was just wondering how some people think Suzuki can beat a clean Flatt? It's not like there's a third component decided by online posters and bekalc aproved = + 3 GOE.

I think if Flatt delivered, she can just sit back and watch the other headcases explode. There will be quite a few, especially if she put pressure on them by skating first of the final group.
    It's all about strategy and mind game on top of what you can actually do under pressure. If the other girls can't deliver when it counts then the nightmare is their own making and they get to live it for the rest of their life.
    1. Her PCS advantage isn't noteworthy, though. It'll help, but a two-three point PCS advantage is essentially margin of error stuff.

2. TES? Yep - Flatt > Suzuki.

3. Your scenario is just that - a scenario. I can envision dozens. Not sure what's funny about great skaters living a nightmare of their own making at the biggest event of their careers, though. Could you explain that to me?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Well, I guess we should let Flattfan live out his/her fantasies . I think Flatt being on the podium is not only a nightmare for the other elite skaters but also a nightmare for a lot of skating fans. I mean a lot of people even complained when she won nationals against Mirai who was more graceful, so I can imagine all hell will erupt if she beats even greater skaters. I think the general viewers prefer graceful and aesthetically pleasing skaters, and Flatt just doesn't do it. Harsh but true.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see what kind of PCS push Rachael will get as a result of being the US Champion. PCS is rated more on politics, reputation, and momentum than it is on aesthetics.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of PCS push Rachael will get as a result of being the US Champion. PCS is rated more on politics, reputation, and momentum than it is on aesthetics.
    I dunno. Sure, she's the US champion but that doesn't say much when everyone knows that the US team has been pretty weak in recent years. In a way, I feel if Sasha made the team, she may have helped the American team in the PCS dept because she brings some reputation with her. Rachel has a lot of good qualities such as consistency and strong nerves, but what she lacks is the "it' factor, which helped propel teenage phenoms to the top before. Even Tonya Harding (whose altheltic prowess is similar to Flatt's) had that "it" factor. When she was on, she could really excite the crowd. Rachel's skating is just too bland. She really needs to work on that to have the results match her consistency.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Well, I guess we should let Flattfan live out his/her fantasies . I think Flatt being on the podium is not only a nightmare for the other elite skaters but also a nightmare for a lot of skating fans. I mean a lot of people even complained when she won nationals against Mirai who was more graceful, so I can imagine all hell will erupt if she beats even greater skaters. I think the general viewers prefer graceful and aesthetically pleasing skaters, and Flatt just doesn't do it. Harsh but true.
    Well, speaking for skating fans now? I suppose having that power means you can actually censor fantasies. Censor this,
    Mao absolutely bomb the SP, score 40+.
    Then proceed to bomb the LP, score 90+, place 25th.
    Miki repeat her 15th place.

It's funny how someone a Miki fan wants a graceful and aesthetically pleasing skaters.

Well, speaking for skating fans now? I suppose having that power means you can actually censor fantasies. Censor this,

It's funny how someone a Miki fan wants a graceful and aesthetically pleasing skaters.
    How about if Rachael doesn't qualify for the LP?

Oh, gosh! I'm joking! I don't like Rachael, but I want all skaters to do well!

Well, when so many articles published questioning her artistry compared to mirai, that recent comp result may not help her. I personally do not think her presentation bad though (perhaps she can get rid of some of the spins and find music that better matches her. But she is a very expressive and intelligent performer and I liked her La Mer).
    Last edited by Bennett; 02-06-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice

I am not really a Miki fan. Miki is just a nickname I had for a long time. It's actually a name of a character from a manga (japanese comic book). Miki is common name for Japanese girls . Anyways, I have no intention of censoring your fantasies, if you read my first line, I said you can live out your fantasies as much as you want . Also, I know those comments sound harsh but I am just saying out from my observations. Many of my friends and family, skating and non-skating fans, watched Rachel's LP at nationals said even harsher things about it that I am not going to repeat here. Also, don't you think you were the one trying to control Olympic destiny by predicting that the top contenders bomb and live out their nightmare? I mean if you don't want harsh things said to your beloved skater, you shouldn't wish bad on others. Just saying.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Well, when so many articles published questioning her artistry compared to mirai, that recent comp result may not help her.
    Since when do journalists comprise ISU panels to judge PCS scores in competitions? Mirai has the downgrade issue to worry about and if the USFSA judges grilled her for it, you know the ISU panel will too, just as they have all through the Grand Prix series.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-06-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Since when do journalists judge PCS scores in competitions?
    They may not. But the point is that Mirai outskated Rachael on that night in terms of presentation. If Rachael won the comp in a more definitive way in terms of presentation, it would be more convincing in boosting her PCS. I recall Nakano came to receive better PCS after her breakthrough performances at Worlds 2008. I think that Mirai may be in a similar situation right now at least within the US as far as her PCS goes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    How about if Rachael doesn't qualify for the LP?

Oh, gosh! I'm joking! I don't like Rachael, but I want all skaters to do well!
    hahahaha. good one.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Here are my predictions and in no particular order

PAIRS

1. Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao (CHN)
    2. Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (GER)
    3. Qing Pang and Jian Tong (CHN)/Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov (RUS)

MEN

1. Jeremy Abbott (USA)
    2. Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
    3. Patrick Chan (CAN)

ICE DANCING

1. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (CAN)
    2. Meryl Davis and Charlie White (USA)
    3. Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto (USA)/Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin (RUS)

LADIES

1. Yu-Na Kim (KOR)
    2. Mao Asada (JPN)
    3. Joannie Rochette (CAN)/Miki Ando (JPN)

Custom Title
    Miki definitely doesn't have more artistry and presentation than Flatt. Miki's artistry has improved but she is still awkward. Her strength is her technical elements. I watched Flatt's programs from Nationals. I don't see why people are picking on her so much. I don't see her artistry any less than Kostner or even Rochette. Mao's programs this year doesn't add that much either. It's not like Cohen is going to the Olympics.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Miki definitely doesn't have more artistry and presentation than Flatt. Miki's artistry has improved but she is still awkward. Her strength is her technical elements. I watched Flatt's programs from Nationals. I don't see why people are picking on her so much. I don't see her artistry any less than Kostner or even Rochette. Mao's programs this year doesn't add that much either. It's not like Cohen is going to the Olympics.
    The difference is that Miki is kind of like Irina in that while Miki is not that graceful (although she's more refined than Rachael). She is still a very powerful fast skater who gets great coverage accross the ice, and her jumps are huge with great flow. So Miki inspite of not being the most graceful skater has still some rather impressive live.

The thing about Rachael is that while she is a very consistent jumper, its not like her jumps are these amazing things on their own. They are actually rather tight/ just barely rotated; They don't have great height and they don't have great flow. And Rachael does not have the speed, flow accross the ice that Ando has. So the difference is that neither are the most artistic skaters around but at least Ando skates with speed and power and has amazing jumps to look at.

In the case of Mao, she by all accounts is absolutely incredible to watch live. Mao has incredible posture and line. Wonderful soft knees and has a softness accross the ice.

As for Carolina Kostner. Kostner has arguably the best basic skating skills in the world. Amazing edges, and incredible speed. She also has great line. Nice jumps with flow.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast