Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Original Dance

Custom Title

Od 4cc 2010

I'm watching Bold/CBC. I don't know if I can't load but I don't see Halifax's PBP. I can't do PBP as I know nothing about dance. But I can try to type what PJ is saying on BOLD. She's good at explaining elements and is always positive about skaters.

Custom Title
    Oops sorry, I just saw the PBP by Halifax, who's doing a great job. I agree with her about the latest Australian team. It was a show piece.

Custom Title
    Any live feed that I can watch?

Custom Title

Summersett/Gillis - absolutely delightful

Loved their expression, beautiful lines and excellent edge work, nice unison. They really danced to the music. Great skaters. Loved the music. Great future for them.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    First in the second group are Summersett/Gilles who are currently in 8th place following their compulsory dance. She looks just like a china doll with a cute dress and matching head scarf. He is in a pinstriped shirt and black pants. Music is from "Panpipes Of The Andes", same music as the Duchesnay's famous "Missing II" program that won them the world title in 1991 (not the music from "Missing" in 1990) and Contesti's FS this season. Really good speed throughout the dance and tons of energy and personality on the ice! I really like this team and think they have a great future in the sport. I think what makes them stand out is that they seemed enthusiastic and committed to what they were trying to portray in this dance. You can see the influence of Tom Dickson and Christopher Dean in the choreography. Interesting transitions between elements and they are both just too cute smiling the whole way through! Great dance. 43.95, 69.21, 1st place, new SB.

Custom Title
    Okay, that couple's OD was adorable. Great choreography.

Custom Title

Hannah McCurdy/Coreno CAN

PJ says "charming original dance, great originality, wonderful playful quality", nice dance to an italian folk music. score 25.60/22.61 48.21 NSB 78.10 total. 1st place

Dressed like something out of a pizza sauce commercial, Canada's Allie Hann-McCurdy and Michael Coreno are in 3rd place and are full of energy in this Sicilian folk dance routine. Lots of sweet, great speed and ice coverage through both twizzles, really outgoing and well dished up choreography with fabulous attention to detail. I buy this 100% as a folk dance and it is being sold that way. A little taste of Italy even if the costumes are totally kitchy. Good edges in mid-line step sequence and a really well done lift near the end. Very engaging, well choreographed and well skated performance! Good for them. 48.21, new SB, 78.10, new leaders in 1st place.

Weaver/Poje are up next - they are the leaders - coached by Krylova/Bourne/Camerlengo. Very dramatic opening lift posing with the fan. Their edge quality is far superior to any of their competitors but Andrew just totally messed up the first of the two twizzles. Speed, timing and choreography is so well timed to the music. Not to sound biased, but the fact we are not going to be seeing this dance at the Olympics is a complete travesty. All of their steps just have such good unison and I really, really, really sincerely hope his missing a twizzle doesn't hurt them too much. This dance is in a class of its own in this particular competition. In the replay, I noticed that how Andrew missed the twizzle was a simple slip off of his edge on the turn. He recovered nicely in the second twizzle though. What a beautiful flamenco though. 48.42, 81.09, 1st place... thank goodness.
    Last edited by n_halifax; 01-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Dressed like something out of a pizza sauce commercial, A little taste of Italy even if the costumes are totally kitchy..

Learned a new word today "kitchy". agreesthey were really good. Good PBP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Weaver/Poje are up next - Not to sound biased, but the fact we are not going to be seeing this dance at the Olympics is a complete travesty.
    Agree, and their costume. You could wear them to the Oscar! Beautiful.

Custom Title
    The mistake on the twizzles clearly hurt them a lot in the judge's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    The mistake on the twizzles clearly hurt them a lot in the judge's eyes.
    .....Their TES was low, naturally, but they still managed to lead in the OD thus far and are in first overall as well.

Custom Title

4cc 2010 od - yu/wang chn

I like this Chinese couple. Nice dance.

The final team in group four are Xiaoyang Yu and Chen Wang, skating to more Chinese folk music. His long, sleeked, tied back hair and facial hair really give a dramatic picture coupled with her dress and his very imperialistic costume. The music is from the "House Of Flying Daggers" film soundtrack. It's a shame they had to skate after three such strong dances. A little unison problem on the second twizzle, some very well choreographed footwork, speed OK, good use of arm movement and intersections in their midline no touch step sequence. They didn't project a lot but technically showed some good proficiency and the choreography and timing was good. Personally, I don't feel it was as good as Summersett/Gilles. I do feel it was better than everyone else I'd seen otherwise so far aside from S/G and obviously H-M/C and W/P. Let's see what the judges have to say. P.J. Kwong made a good point in noting that there was quite a bit of stroking in this OD - mainly in the first half though. 42.48, 70.64, 3rd place.

So far:

1. Weaver/Poje CAN
    2. Hann-McCurdy/Coreno CAN
    3. Yu/Wang CHN
    4. Summersett/Gilles USA
    5. Guan/Wang CHN
    6. O'Brien/Merriman AUS
    7. Bruhns/Lavrik MEX
    8. Borounov/Borounov AUS

Four more teams to go...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast