Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Original Dance

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Madison and Keiffer Hubbell, the U.S. brother/sister team coached by Krylova and Camerlengo are next to take the ice, skating to Ukrainian folk music in very Ukrainian outfits. Excellent deep edges and speed. First twizzle had perfect unison, timing was a bit off on the second one for him. What the twizzles did have going for them were that there were VERY close together. Cute lift with a clap on the exit. They are skating with a lot of energy and carrying good speed. Timing to the music just great on a circular step sequence. Very spunky, energetic skaters though compared to Hann-McCurdy/Coreno who also did very much a folk dance this didn't have the same degree of intricacy although the speed and edges were right up there IMO. They are both very natural PERFORMERS musically. I really like this team although I have to admit I am still very much surprised by Ralph/Hill's scores... I expected them to really make a move with such a good dance. 46.75, new SB, 76.51, 3rd place behind W/P and H-M/C.

On the Ice
    R/H score doesn't make sense - did someone hit a wrong button??? No way they deserved those marks

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    First of the final group are Canada's Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill, the skaters with the hard for me to remember names and great original dance. And here it is! Interpreting traditional African music performed by a gospel choir and real African dancing, this number was a big hit at Canadians. Very theatrical costumes. They have a lot of ground to make up as they are 7th following the Compulsory Dance but that has been their strong point in the past. Canadian Nationals is a prime example. EXCELLENT expression of the character of the music and interesting linking movements. Great speed and deep edges. Just flew through their footwork sequence. Very clever entry and exit from both twizzles, which were performed with unison and nicely close together. Unique dance spin to close. Just a fantastic performance full of unique choreography and good speed and edges everywhere. This should move them up considerably, one would hope. 41.80, 68.37, 5th place. Ouch. What's that all about?
    I agree, so how come they were marked so low do you think? He looked really disappointed and surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Skatie View Post
    R/H score doesn't make sense - did someone hit a wrong button??? No way they deserved those marks
    That's exactly what I thought!!!!!!!!!!
    They are clearly the best so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by gopatrick; 01-27-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Custom Title
    It would be really bad if Ralph/Hill falls below this US team of Chock and Zuerlein. And they just did, that's terrible. Now I remember why I hate dance as a sport.:frown2:

The third of three U.S. teams are reigning World Junior Champions Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein performing to an afro-cuban theme where Madison represents a bird whereas Greg is a hunter. 5th heading into the original dance. She is wearing a very samba inspired dress. Ooo... their first twizzle was so fast and close together and the second one was really botched, moreso than her by him but he didn't nail his either. Good energy and speed throughout the dance but I didn't really buy what was being sold. I didn't see any choreography that illustrated the theme they described. Definitely elements of afro-cuban jazz dance but they second part was skated more like a mambo than anything. That said, they were certainly musical and their program was well performed. I liked the music a lot - very toe tapping. They looked like they were having a lot of fun. Scores: 44.12, 73.26, 4th place behind the Hubbells.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    It would be really bad if Ralph/Hill falls below this US team of Chock and Zuerlein. And they just did, that's terrible. Now I remember why I hate dance as a sport.:frown2:
    They were behind them at junior worlds last year.

Custom Title

Hwang Zheng CHN OD

PJ says "great expression of music". I say this Greek was too fast and difficult for them. Wow, surprised at the marks. I must say I am impressed with these Chinese dancers at the 4CC. Three great teams.

Ouch Ralph/Hill is 8th. That's not right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    The third of three U.S. teams are reigning World Junior Champions Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein performing to an afro-cuban theme where Madison represents a bird whereas Greg is a hunter. 5th heading into the original dance. She is wearing a very samba inspired dress. Ooo... their first twizzle was so fast and close together and the second one was really botched, moreso than her by him but he didn't nail his either. Good energy and speed throughout the dance but I didn't really buy what was being sold. I didn't see any choreography that illustrated the theme they described. Definitely elements of afro-cuban jazz dance but they second part was skated more like a mambo than anything. That said, they were certainly musical and their program was well performed. I liked the music a lot - very toe tapping. They looked like they were having a lot of fun. Scores: 44.12, 73.26, 4th place behind the Hubbells.
    OMG, both Hubbells and C/Z got 54 at US Nationals!!
    C/Z were 10 points lower here!! Their PCS was also much lower!!
    S/G got 52 at US nationals, 9 points lower too!!

Huang and Zheng, the team that surprised everyone including me with their impressive second place finish in the OD are the final team to take the ice in the OD. Wearing very god and goddessy looking costumes, they are skating to Zorba The Greek. Let's see if they can maintain their position after so many good skates... choreography by Linichuk. Good upper body carriage and holds. Their footwork IMO is not keeping up with this driving music at all. First twizzle had unison problems, second was slower but more unison. Technically a sound and proficient performance despite the little unison problem on the first twizzle but I have to be honest in saying that I was underwhelmed. They performed the choreography but they didn't sell a Greek folk dance - they skated to Zorba The Greek with not enough expression for my liking. Unison and carriage are on their side though, as are their edges. Speed not bad either. 47.21, 77.33, 3rd place. Better than the Hubbells or Ralph/Hill? No. They did the same thing AND EXPRESSED the folk/country dance theme. Meh.

So... let's recap. After the OD:

1. Weaver/Poje CAN
    2. Hann-McCurdy/Coreno CAN
    3. Huang/Zheng CHN
    4. Hubbell/Hubbell USA
    5. Chock/Zuerlein USA
    6. Yu/Wang CHN
    7. Summersett/Gilles USA
    8. Ralph/Hill CAN (who dropped! what is that?)
    9. Guan/Wang CHN
    10. O'Brien/Merriman AUS
    11. Bruhns/Lavrik MEX
    12. Borounov/Borounov AUS

Custom Title
    I really want to know what went wrong with Ralph/Hill here. Something on the technical side? Hopefully the detailed scoring has a good explanation.

They are showing Joey Russell's FS from Canadian Nationals right now... I used to skate with this kid! Now I feel old. He was like 11 or something then and I was what? 16? 17? lol. Anyway... off to bed - hope you all enjoyed the PbP and have a great night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    I really want to know what went wrong with Ralph/Hill here. Something on the technical side? Hopefully the detailed scoring has a good explanation.
    Their TES was 20.90, only 0.60 ahead of the Mexican team. How this is the case is beyond me. Twizzles were entered with difficulty and exited with difficulty, good edges, speed, complexity, originality, timing... I'm really curious as to what "went wrong". I'm no CoP expert but I have been watching figure skating religiously since 1992 and am every year faced with at least 2 or 3 "WHAT"'s? :chorus:

Custom Title
    Ice dance judges are never very generous at giving rising junior teams (i.e. new to senior competition) great marks. Chock/Zuerlein, despite success at the Jr Intl level the last 2 years, score-wise did not exactly set the world on fire in their first year of intl senior competition this season. Ralph/Hill is likely to experience the same thing. It used to be called "paying your dues" and despite COP, still exists and esp in dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Ice dance judges are never very generous at giving rising junior teams (i.e. new to senior competition) great marks. Chock/Zuerlein, despite success at the Jr Intl level the last 2 years, score-wise did not exactly set the world on fire in their first year of intl senior competition this season. Ralph/Hill is likely to experience the same thing. It used to be called "paying your dues" and despite COP, still exists and esp in dance.
    The teams that were more successful were Samuelson/Bates, Tessa/Scott and Davis/White. When they moved up seniors, they received instant success, do not remember "paying the dues" in their first year .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast