Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I agree. When I saw her first long on TV at TEB I didn't get it at all. I didn't see much in the program and could not hear the "waves" of the music. Now it's so clear. I do wonder if the Olympic audience (who's not watching skating regularly) would have the same reaction I did the first time I saw it. Especially when it's compared to all other heavy duty Olympic figure skating music being used by all other skaters. More the reason her skating as to shine and rise above.
    Yeah, I agree the LP is a grower and the more you watch it the more you notice the intricacy in choreography, especially the transitions. The SP was an immediate hit for me.

Custom Title
    She was even more alive at the FCC Gala which aired on BOLD. I thought it was interesting to see Mao and Akiko back to back doing Spanish music. Mao skated it almost like both of her programs this year, even though it's a completely different style of music. She didn't have that "snap" and "tension" that goes with this type of music. Akiko had that in loads. I don't think Mao's expression is at its fullest it should be at 19 in an Olympic year.
    I love Suzuki! I still wish Mao used that exhibition for her short program! She interprets it so much better than Masquerade (I still don't get the young girl going to her first ball idea)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    LI am hardly a teenager anymore
    No worries neither am I. So I do not and cannot act like a teenager when I see figure skaters. Like when Tarasova sat in my seat thinking it was a part of VIP seats at the LA Worlds and she was asked to move. Our seats was joined to the VIP section so each event, all the big names of figure skating were coming and going (Debbie Thomas, Tara Lipinski, Stephane Lambiel on and on)

In Lake Placid, I was checking out of the hotel, when I was invited to stay for an autograph because Yuna was doing an interview there (not by hotel staff, someone else, I will not mention as I don't want anyone to get into trouble). It was reported in the media that she was not staying at the same hotel as all other skaters. It turned out she stayed in the same hotel I did.

I stayed a few minutes to say hi and thank yous to Yuna's mom (who's very quiet and shy) while Yuna was being interviewed right next to us. There was no one else around. And we left before Yuna's interview was done and I didn't ask for autograph. I didn't want to bother her.
    Last edited by aurora100; 01-31-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Custom Title
    It was reported in the media that she was not staying at the same hotel as all other skaters. It turned out she stayed in the same hotel I did.
    Was it the Golden Arrow? (I hope it's ok to ask since it's in the past, but feel free to decline to answer if that's not appropriate). And I can understand not wanting to bother her. I did not try to get her autograph even though I had a couple of opportunities, like at practices.

Custom Title
    Was it the Golden Arrow? (I hope it's ok to ask since it's in the past, but feel free to decline to answer if that's not appropriate). And I can understand not wanting to bother her. I did not try to get her autograph even though I had a couple of opportunities, like at practices.
    No it was the one right above the arena. Crown Plaza I believe. Golden Arrow is where all the skaters stayed at I believe. I have so many stories. We checked out on Monday whereas I think everyone left on Sunday. Here we were my mom and I, loading our luggages from the back door and there is this huge SUV filled to the brim with stuffed animals right in front of us. And it was Yuna's SUV. That's how I knew. It was in front of my nose and I wasn't looking for it. And the person who invited us was a Korean person. Just for the record.
    Last edited by aurora100; 01-31-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Custom Title
    Nice! Wow, I almost booked at the Crown Plaza, but then decided against it after I heard that it's sitting atop a very steep hill. I had never been to Lake Placid but I read so many complaints about the "wicked hill" that I ended up booking at the slightly more expensive Golden Arrow.

Custom Title
    Nice! Wow, I almost booked at the Crown Plaza, but then decided against it after I heard that it's sitting atop a very steep hill. I had never been to Lake Placid but I read so many complaints about the "wicked hill" that I ended up booking at the slightly more expensive Golden Arrow.
    I hear you. The first evening mom and I walked up the hill, with our small luggage with all the clothes we wore at the rink. My mom is not a young pup, neither I am, and it was enough to get me worried about her having a heart attack. After that we drove down the hill and parked and I drove us back to the hotel each night. I felt bad, environmentally speaking, but it was the safe thing to do. By the time I got around to booking Golden Arrow was sold out. Crown Plaza was too but some rooms came open for the last month or so.
    Last edited by aurora100; 01-31-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Custom Title
    So, maybe that's why Yuna's LP did not go as expected. She was too exhausted after having to go up and down the hill a few times .. JK

Custom Title
    yes, now we have it all figured out. hopefully it's flat where she stays at in Vancouver

Custom Title
    yes, now we have it all figured out. hopefully it's flat where she stays at in Vancouver

Thanks for the great stories!

ETA: See, the ISU did not need to be concerned about Yuna's absence from 4CC. She has more than three pages in the Ladies Long Program thread all to herself. It's like she was there!
    Last edited by yunasashafan; 01-31-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Custom Title
    I saw the whole thing live and Mao was great. Suzuki was good, too, but she left the door open. First time in the season that Mao's program really worked for me.

To watch for the future: Haruka Imai and Min-Jung Kwak. I thought they should have been ahead of Dobbs -both had great mostly clean performances and harder triples.
    Last edited by oleada; 01-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I saw the whole thing live and Mao was great. Suzuki was good, too, but she left the door open. First time in the season that Mao's program really worked for me.

To watch for the future: Haruka Imai and Min-Jung Kwak. I thought they should have been ahead of Dobbs -both had great mostly clean performances and harder triples.
    Is it just me or does Amanda Dobbs look kinda like Taylor Swift?

Rinkside
    In mao's LP, second triple axel looked under-rotated. and in 3-2-2 combo, second 2loop was under-rotated. especially her flip jump look so wierd to me.(it seems like flutz and loop's mix)
    obove all her program is not particularly good. that's why there are no choreography, transition, feelings in her program.
    Last edited by jenny; 02-01-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    In mao's LP, second triple axel looked under-rotated. and in 3-2-2 combo, second 2loop was under-rotated. especially her flip jump look so wierd to me.(it seems like flutz and loop's mix)
    obove all her program is not particularly good. that's why there are no choreography, transitions, feelings in her program.
    I wouldn't say there is no choreography. It just doesn't have a wider appeal. Mao's jumps were fine this time. They had much higher height into them.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I wouldn't say there is no choreography. It just doesn't have a wider appeal.
    Mao's skating this time reminded me of Miki's long program at 09 Worlds. Beautiful jumps, but such preoccupation in LANDING them which in effect lacks detailed moves between those and kills the overall flow. I think this is the problem. I mean, compared to Akiko or Yuna's LP, her program looks like a whole framework of jumping sessions, to me. I've noticed that Miki worked on that from this season and look how decent her choreographies fitted together now.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast