Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Free Skate

Custom Title
    I would say this is easily the best the Zhangs have skated all year. Everything was landed well. I am tired of their music, but the program was well skated.

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I would say this is easily the best the Zhangs have skated all year. Everything was landed well. I am tired of their music, but the program was well skated.
    All I really noticed was that they changed their costumes. An improvement from the other one, I say!

Custom Title

zhang and Wang CHN Pairs long - Four Continents 2010

double axel triple toe combo done well; OMG what a triple twist; they are so much better than they were at Skate America; one hand variation to their lift, very nice; nice death spiral done; off sync in SBS spin at the beginning and at the end, totally off; beautiful throw triple loop, she was leaning a bit but plenty of time to land; throw triple sal, beautiful height; lasso lift nice variation; they almost lost the end position but he held both of them together; nice performance, this program and performance is gel'ing. they did a SBS triple sal, I missed that before I think. PJ just explained in slow mo; they look happy with their performance. 69.00/57.36 126.36 NSB Total 192.22 1st place

Custom Title
    Zhangs--competent but something about their skating leaves me colder and colder season after season. They just don't connect at all. But at least they changed costumes--no more pink and gold "Mankini" for Hao Zhang! Think they've got this comp won.

(For no good reason, I find myself wondering what Hao Zhang would look like skating with Tatiana Volosozhar....)

Keauna fell on her 2T(? wasn't really paying attn) and throw triple. I think the Zhangs have got this in the bag.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 01-28-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Custom Title

Mclaughlin and Brubaker USA Pairs Long - Four Continents 2010

starts with SBS triple sal, she falls event though she landed a nice one in practice; great speed in triple twist; SBS double axel, landed; spectacular speed from element to element says PJ; throw triple sal landed; death spiral with changing pivot, PJ likes it; I love this music and the choreo is great; SBS spin, pretty nice, a little off in sync and speed at the end; maintaining good speed in spiral sequence says PJ, doesn't look too speedy to me I don't know if PJ is on the ice I don't think so; PJ is impressed by the speed late in the program; she has a beautiful position on the lasso lift; throw triple loop, lands on two feet then she falls; very athletic dynamic team on the ice; spiral inventive and position rock solid PJ says in slow mo; score is 53.85/52.75 -2 105.61 total 170.17. Ends in 2nd position.

Custom Title
    1 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 192.22 1 1
    2 Keauna MCLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 170.17 2 2
    3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN CAN 158.02 3 4
    4 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN USA 157.49 4 3
    5 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN 151.83 7 5
    6 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 146.60 6 6
    7 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN 146.31 5 7
    8 Huibo DONG / Yiming WU CHN 136.05 9 8
    9 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 135.76 8 9
    10 Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR USA 128.91 10 10
    11 Amanda SUNYOTO-YANG / Darryll SULINDRO-YANG TPE 116.49 11 11

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=bigsisjiejie;460632]Zhangs--competent but something about their skating leaves me colder and colder season after season. They just don't connect at all. But at least they changed costumes--no more pink and gold "Mankini" for Hao Zhang! Think they've got this comp won.
    /QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more. I saw them live at Skate America and I wanted to yell at them to change the costume. He looked like he had a bra on. They were awful costume. I think they heard us.

Custom Title
    Keauna seems to jump more hesitantly in competition than in the practices lately. That's just a mental thing. It didn't really matter so much because M/B weren't catching the Zhangs anyway. The Zhangs were on fire today.... Much better than we've seen them lately. They may not have very good presentation skills, but they did all that they could today.

I am happy Keauna and Rockne were able to get silver. I didn't really expect them to skate clean or anything... That program is very hard. But they presented it pretty well considering. Really, it wasn't a well-skated free skate aside from the Zhangs, but that's pairs for ya. haha.
    Last edited by gold12345; 01-28-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I feel sad for Keauna and Rockne. Thier freeskate at Nationals was better than this. I think things have gotten to a point where she has a mental things about competing and it worsens everytime she has a bad skate. Have a shapely body can't be helping much either.

Congrats to Z/Z, M/B and D/B. Nice for M/B to get silver at this competition even though their FS was a little rough. Thanks to everyone for the pbp.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    They just don't connect at all. But at least they changed costumes--no more pink and gold "Mankini" for Hao Zhang!
    Best thing about the performance!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I feel sad for Keauna and Rockne. Thier freeskate at Nationals was better than this. I think things have gotten to a point where she has a mental things about competing and it worsens everytime she has a bad skate. Have a shapely body can't be helping much either.

I don't think they should feel sad at all from this. I think they should be very proud of getting silver. Just competing here was a bit of a mental hurdle.... I'm sure for the past week they've had trouble thinking about anything besides not being on the Olympic team. And of course there was no time to prepare for this competition, or even go home before this competition. I'm sure competing in back-to-back events was not something they anticipated at all. They put up a good fight this week, especially considering the Nationals/Oly team disappointment they just had. Doing a short program here that was light-years better than their Nationals one was an accomplishment in itself. And despite the mistakes, I think they presented their LP well.

As for the 2 problems yesterday-- I was waiting for them to finally fall on that throw 3loop at the end. I think having the throw in the last five sec. of their LP was too ambitious this season. They hadn't fallen on it until yesterday, but I think their odds of landing it cleanly would increase a lot if it wasn't so late. And when Keauna does her 3S-2T like she did in the warmup yesterday, it looks great, and you wonder how she could miss in the competition. I don't think she is weak mentally by any means... But I think you could be right-- As you mess up in competition, it can start to get in your head... But at least she went for all the jumps and didn't pop any, because in the past, that might have been what she would do. This year was a ton of excess pressure on M/B, so I really don't blame her if mentally things started to get to her a little.

I'm also happy for Duhamel/Buntin for being able to hang on to a medal. Missing out on the Olympic team couldn't have been easy for them either, and their Nationals were pretty recently as well. There was really no time for anyone to recover from that.
    Last edited by gold12345; 01-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I was so happy to see the Zhangs skate so well. This is a really lovely Scherazade. I've been wishing and hoping she could get into it more all season.

Can't quite agree about the costumes, though . The problem with the old ones was that the use of pink was a bit wishy-washy for her character. It didn't help that she seemed a bit wishy-washy in the role. She needed a more vibrant colour. The trouble with these new ones , which I actually like a lot , is that they only have a tenuous connection to the program.

I feel like I'm arguing with myself, because generally speaking , I am a fan of the approach that it can be enough to see the skaters just bring out the emotion of the music through their movement..they don't always have to act out the story.. this approach can help keep down the tendency to go over the top that is often so evident...But this program is one of the best exceptions to that line of reasoning that I've seen in a long time.

Most skating portrayals of this ballet music cast the skaters as the Sultan and Zubeida and end up with him killing her...We've seen it a million times ; sometimes done well, but too often straight up ham and cheese. Here, Zoueva has cast them as Zubeida and the Golden Slave , portraying their forbidden romance ( the cause of both their eventual deaths ) , and suitably for this couple, dwelling on the romantic aspects of the story rather than the lustful. There are so many great touches in the choreography that reflect the ballet, but are masterfully adapted to skating..and his old costume, in particular, was a perfect fit with this..the chest and arm bands a direct translation from the ballet costumes, without getting into harem pants, turbans, etc.etc. which can distract from the skating.. Her portrayal just needed to be a bit stronger...

Oh well, enough whinging..I guess I'm just mourning what might have been a little bit..these are very nice costumes and it's still a great program, just a titch short of perfection for me.....Hope to see it at peak for the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I don't think they should feel sad at all from this. I think they should be very proud of getting silver. Just competing here was a bit of a mental hurdle.... I'm sure for the past week they've had trouble thinking about anything besides not being on the Olympic team. And of course there was no time to prepare for this competition, or even go home before this competition. I'm sure competing in back-to-back events was not something they anticipated at all. They put up a good fight this week, especially considering the Nationals/Oly team disappointment they just had. Doing a short program here that was light-years better than their Nationals one was an accomplishment in itself. And despite the mistakes, I think they presented their LP well.

As for the 2 problems yesterday-- I was waiting for them to finally fall on that throw 3loop at the end. I think having the throw in the last five sec. of their LP was too ambitious this season. They hadn't fallen on it until yesterday, but I think their odds of landing it cleanly would increase a lot if it wasn't so late. And when Keauna does her 3S-2T like she did in the warmup yesterday, it looks great, and you wonder how she could miss in the competition. I don't think she is weak mentally by any means... But I think you could be right-- As you mess up in competition, it can start to get in your head... But at least she went for all the jumps and didn't pop any, because in the past, that might have been what she would do. This year was a ton of excess pressure on M/B, so I really don't blame her if mentally things started to get to her a little.

I'm also happy for Duhamel/Buntin for being able to hang on to a medal. Missing out on the Olympic team couldn't have been easy for them either, and their Nationals were pretty recently as well. There was really no time for anyone to recover from that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast