Pairs or Singles for Amanda Dobbs? | Golden Skate

Pairs or Singles for Amanda Dobbs?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One of the stories I found interesting was the solid placements at Nationals for Amanda Dobbs in both pairs (7th) and ladies (6th). And now she's second after the 4CC short program in Ladies. (ahead of Mao Asada!)

Some have already concluded that at some point one will have to choose. Which one do you think she should choose?

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
One of the stories I found interesting was the solid placements at Nationals for Amanda Dobbs in both pairs (7th) and ladies (6th). And now she's second after the 4CC short program in Ladies. (ahead of Mao Asada!)

Some have already concluded that at some point one will have to choose. Which one do you think she should choose?

Amanda should compete in Ladies single.
She is such a pretty girl.

She'll shine like Sasha Cohen.

N

n_halifax

I think her current position at 4CCs says it all... certainly a breakout performance!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amanda doesn't have the lutz, and she's only attempted the flip once at Nationals---and fell. She is secure enough with the jumps she does have to place well in SPs. However, I think she's unlikely to amass a high enough TES in FSs to contend at the highest levels of Ladies skating.

For that reason, I think she'd be better off in Pairs as a solid 3T and 3S are the most Pairs teams need to be successful. I'm not sure Joe Jacobsen is the best partner for her, though. He's always had problems with side-by-side jumps.

lcd

Match Penalty
I love her basic skating, power and confident presentation. I think though that for singles she would ultimately need to raise the bar on the higher level triples. Otherwise, will be hard to get further on an international level.

Hope she continues to progress with both, but if I had to peg just one discipline for her, it would definitely be pairs as she accomplished so much in such a short time and the opportunities should only continue to improve if they stay on this pace. :clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think she will have to decide this season. Depends on what her goals are. The pairs program is much weaker in the US than the ladies, so she has a better chance of being natioanl champ and/ or making a world or Olympic team if she sticks with pairs. The gamble with that is that if her partner is that consistant, think Keauna M. she could never reach the top. With singles she will be pretty much in charge of her own destiny. If Jacobson is not thy strong of a partner I would say that she should start looking for a new young man (while she is a hot name) and work on her flip and lutz over the summer. Compete at Natioanls in both disciplines again in 2011 and based on results there make a final decison.

soogar

Record Breaker
Amanda's listed height is 5'4- kind of tall for pairs and she has a lanky look to her as if she is going to get taller. I think she competes well with what she has but I don't see her adding a 3 lutz or flip at this stage of her career. I don't see a long skating career for her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Amanda's listed height is 5'4- kind of tall for pairs and she has a lanky look to her as if she is going to get taller. I think she competes well with what she has but I don't see her adding a 3 lutz or flip at this stage of her career. I don't see a long skating career for her.

Currently, most of the top female skaters are 5'4" or taller, so I don't think her height should be a huge issue.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
5'4" is tall for a Pairs skater. Joe Jacobsen is tall enough for Amanda, but he is not a good jumper, so their opportunities to progress may be limited. And because she is tall, she'd have a limited choice of partners should she want to switch.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
5'4" is tall for a Pairs skater. Joe Jacobsen is tall enough for Amanda, but he is not a good jumper, so their opportunities to progress may be limited. And because she is tall, she'd have a limited choice of partners should she want to switch.

Yeah I meant for a singles skaters. Almost all the ladies in pairs are like 5'0". Amanda is also young and could grow more, if she ends up being 5'6", she'd be much better off sticking with singles.

cornell08

Final Flight
There's Agnes and Christina on the horizon (or arrived?), possibility of revamped (I hope) Caroline, Ashley taking bronze in stride, Mirai getting past the Evil Mirai, and Rachael about to leave Tom Z.....I love Dobbs singles and pairs skating but thats gotta be a daunting/deep field to compete with.

Amanda's got the best throw landings in American pairs right now imo-- flow, speed, height and she lands like a feather! The throw 3-sal in their freeskate was truly outstanding. I feel like she could be part of a standout pairs team if 1) she doesn't get much taller 2) Jacobsen becomes a better jumper and/or more expressive 3) she gets another partner. Perhaps Ryan Bradley could be Amanda's new partner :biggrin: I don't know how they could be beat.

i

and Amanda has legs for days. Parents should have sent her to ballet school. I do see a modeling career for her, meanwhile she skates welll and is proving it.

inside edge

On the Ice
Amanda doesn't have the lutz, and she's only attempted the flip once at Nationals---and fell. She is secure enough with the jumps she does have to place well in SPs. However, I think she's unlikely to amass a high enough TES in FSs to contend at the highest levels of Ladies skating.

For that reason, I think she'd be better off in Pairs as a solid 3T and 3S are the most Pairs teams need to be successful. I'm not sure Joe Jacobsen is the best partner for her, though. He's always had problems with side-by-side jumps.

:yes: :yes:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There's Agnes and Christina on the horizon (or arrived?), possibility of revamped (I hope) Caroline, Ashley taking bronze in stride, Mirai getting past the Evil Mirai, and Rachael about to leave Tom Z.....I love Dobbs singles and pairs skating but thats gotta be a daunting/deep field to compete with.

Amanda's got the best throw landings in American pairs right now imo-- flow, speed, height and she lands like a feather! The throw 3-sal in their freeskate was truly outstanding. I feel like she could be part of a standout pairs team if 1) she doesn't get much taller 2) Jacobsen becomes a better jumper and/or more expressive 3) she gets another partner. Perhaps Ryan Bradley could be Amanda's new partner :biggrin: I don't know how they could be beat.

Well she's young. She could probably change partners if she needs to. But yeah with Pairs not being super deep, she might benefit by sticking to that.

Hm...Ryan Bradley in pairs? That's a new idea! It could work. But I think Bradley would be better off getting rich doing ice shows!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley has previously skated pairs (1996 to 1998 with Tiffany Vise -- they placed 6th in Novice at '98 Nationals).

ETA On-topic trivia fact: Amanda Dobbs qualified for 2006 US Nationals in Novice Pairs with Christopher Trefil, who's now skating for Hungary.

Last edited: