Thread: costumes, costumes...in ice dance

Tripping on the Podium

costumes, costumes...in ice dance

Do you think that Chait &Serganoski(?) circus costumes were over the top? Did they detract from the performance? I think so.

Black on one side, yellow and the rainbow on the other....roses that looked like they were made from kleenex and crinolines.....
    sww

Rogue Leader
    They were absolutley hideous. The only saving grace was the black on the back. I kept wanting them to have their backs to the cameras. I know everyone has their own tastes, but holy freakin' cow those are loud.

Any pictures? I love this team .

Piel

Tripping on the Podium
    Pictures will come tomorrow, I have no doubt. These were the worst costumes I have seen since Shen and Zhou's black, pink and blue numbers several years ago. Blinding. Obscured the program. I kept wondering how it would have looked in black practice tights.
    sww

Buttle "Catch The Victory" ~ Torino 2006

Thumbs down

ITA with you. They were terrible and definitly were a major distraction throughout their performance. I don't understand why skaters have to go "over the top" with their costumes, I mean an exhibition performance is one thing, but during the actual competition, I think its un-necessary.

Also too another note I'd like to make about this team was that many of the lifts that were performed during their free skate were really tasteless.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    The only word for most of the costumes in ice dance - free program - is horrible.

Originally posted by Blade1
    ITA with you. They were terrible and definitly were a major distraction throughout their performance. I don't understand why skaters have to go "over the top" with their costumes, I mean an exhibition performance is one thing, but during the actual competition, I think its un-necessary
    Over the top seems appropriate for a circus theme IMO. If you're looking for tasteful fashion you may want to look elsewhere (than the circus OR ice dancing LOL). If it fits the music then I don't have a problem with it.

Again, I don't understand why more entertaining music/costume selections should be deemed appropriate for exhibitions but not competition. IMO good, entertaining skating, is just that and is always appropriate. This usually is mentioned when R&R music is used too. I just don't get it.

Piel

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

costumes, costumes...in ice dance

Piel:

If they were skating in a show then the costumes may have been appropriate. However, this was a competition and costumes like this are distracting to the choreography. Too much material is cumbersome and gets in the way of body line.

Do you remember Torville and Dean's Barnum? That was a circus theme - their costumes were not outlandish.

Tone down please for the rest of the season!

Custom Title
    Speaking of T&D and earlier ice dancing, one of my favourite dances is their FD from 1980 worlds. I could never get the big deal about T&D until I saw that, my jaw was on the ground all the way through. And the costumes? As simple (or simpler) as a pairs program today. The short freestyle skirt for ice dancing may not *look* as flashy, but you can see so much more of how the legs are working together, how in unison they are. Sometimes I wish ice dance would sacrifice the glitz and flappy skirted glamour for simplicity and a clean body line.