New angle on Domnina&Shabalin's OD kerfuffle? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New angle on Domnina&Shabalin's OD kerfuffle?

Doris - I agree with what you say that there is a difference between bluegrass and modern country dancing but both are regional and both, unfotunately. are open to parody, and that's what skating does. The many over-the-top Ukrainian dances are often done in parody. Country vs. Folk. I'm not sure, and does it matter that the folk dances and country dances intertwine?

Navarro and Bommentre did an African number straight out of Hollywood influence depicting savages (whoa). Was it folk?

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
According to this translation of a statement made by Russian federation president Piseev, they will meet with the First Nations people to explain to them why the Aborigines should not be offended, and in fact should feel honored for the attention. However, Shabalin may change his face paint, because it might look better.

Oh dear. In my experience, telling other people how they should feel is not a very productive form of conflict resolution. I do not foresee a happy end here (unless the comment is by the Russian official and doesn't represent D/S's attitude).

My suggestion would be for them to not let Linichuk attend the meeting (so that both sides can blame her). Just themselves and the interpreter (so they don't have to struggle to try to express themselves and reinforce the idea that the whole thing is a question of ignorance and not willful malice).

I have the impression that in person they're personable and likeble (unlike Linichuk) and with the right admixture of repentance and charm they can win over the first nations people. I can't see Linichuk winning anyone over........

ITA that your typical ice dance Kalinka isn't going to be authentic either ( it's not called Ice Anthropology for a reason). But there are differences between the two cases and I hope (against hope) that they don't try to make that analogy in person.

Bennett

Record Breaker
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2604009&postcount=50

According to this translation of a statement made by Russian federation president Piseev, they will meet with the First Nations people to explain to them why the Aborigines should not be offended, and in fact should feel honored for the attention. However, Shabalin may change his face paint, because it might look better.

That's arrogant.
As Mafke says, I do not think it a good way to settle conflicts. Acknowledging and respecting their feelings are so essential. The first thing that they need to do is to listen to their point of view, instead of insisting their own view. Then they can tell them politely that it was not on purpose on their part to offend their feelings (without sounding making excuses or shifting blame). But not the other way around.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Navarro and Bommentre did an African number straight out of Hollywood influence depicting savages (whoa). Was it folk?

they, at least, worked with someone who understood that culture and who helped them choreograph a program that would not offend the people they were portraying. completely different from this situation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, I don't think it matters at this point whether they pick country, folk, or a mixture as long as the region of origin is the same. The ISU is not that clear about it in the rules. IMO, they probably should clarify this the next time they have country/folk.

Certainly in 2008, nobody was penalized for music or dance style or even for failing to use movements typical of the style in their elements (which they were supposed to do). It's like the UR and edge penalties in singles-the penalties were in the ISU Communications, but at first the deductions were not taken. Some time, they should either follow their own rules or get rid of rules they are not going to follow.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I wrote my views on this subject and provided proof of Linichuk's stating the OD is based upon an Australian Aboriginal dance, when she first talked about it on the Dom/Shab officail website. Her denial to Russian media came later.

http://www.blazingblades.com/720678479/blazing-blades-commentary/

I was more referring to the fact that she was backpedaling, as the initial post I replied to stated that Linichuk never stated that it wasn't Australian aboriginal. Quote from oxade21:

Linichuk NEVER backpedaled! She confirmed that it is Australian Aboriginal dance. It's just her interpretation of it.
That dance does not have religious theme! It portrays two arguing pre-hestoric aboriginal couple in comical way. At least that's what they attempted to do.
There was no intent to offend. There was just ignorance on Linichuk's part. She did not do research about sensitivity for specific indigenous population.
GET OVER IT, ALREADY!

I think it is fairly obvious that the dance is, in fact, meant to be Australian Aboriginal. Only now, because of the uproar, is Linichuk saying that it is not actually meant to be Australian aboriginal, but an aboriginal dance from a land far far away, a long time ago.

Doris -

Personally, I would like them to do away with the Thematic approach to the OD, and just leave it to the skaters to come up with an original dance which can be used for the Compulsory Dance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In other words, Joe, the old OSP, but allowing the skaters to pick?

I would be OK with that! I love so many of the old OSPs!

In that case (for COP scoring) there would be 1 lift, 1 step sequences, 1 twizzle in the pattern, and then they would have to repeat the pattern (to give the compulsory flavor).

Last edited:
It wouldn't be easy under the CoP. But, the CoP is used for the compulory dance without twizzles and lifts, so why not ues it for an original dance without the tricks? I would also add, to make it even more different; to name a type of rhythm as a theme for all the competitors, eg Tango, Waltz, Quikstep; Rhumba, Pasa Doble, etc.

Just think: an original rhythmic dance which all the contestants must work on to a particular musical beat.

(by the way, could the music of a Mexican Hat Dance music work in as a Spanish Pasa Doble?)

antmanb

Record Breaker
It wouldn't be easy under the CoP. But, the CoP is used for the compulory dance without twizzles and lifts, so why not ues it for an original dance without the tricks? I would also add, to make it even more different; to name a type of rhythm as a theme for all the competitors, eg Tango, Waltz, Quikstep; Rhumba, Pasa Doble, etc.

Just think: an original rhythmic dance which all the contestants must work on to a particular musical beat.

(by the way, could the music of a Mexican Hat Dance music work in as a Spanish Pasa Doble?)

Isn't that exactly how the OSP used to work? The rhythm was prescribed for each season and the couples came up with an original dance set to the rhythm which consisted of one repeated pattern?

(personally i would love the OD to go back to an OSP)

Ant

colleen o'neill

Medalist
This makes me nostalgic for the Duschenays' Tango..I don't mind the current arrangement , if they would only clarify the guidelines and stick to them.

But can you tell me..Are they actually seriously considering phasing out the CD altogether? If so, then I'd think they would have to go back to something like the OSP, or at least a strict rhythmic theme...Otherwise ,wouldn't it just be a free for all ? Then, where's the sport ?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link, colleen o'neill :thumbsup:

caused an uproar in Tallinn, Estonia last month with their 'Aboriginal' act.

An uproar in Tallin? I must have missed it.

Last month, reports of the duo's dance number unleashed a torrent of anti-Russian vitriol on the internet, with some commentators claiming the faux pas was not surprising because most Russians are rude and insensitive.

Nice touch.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The journalist does not make his case about the offense to one ethnic group (Aborigines) very well when in the same article, the same journalist says offensive things about another ethnic group (Russians).

I'm glad DomShabs will be making some changes to the costumes at least.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
;)"The Journalist" ?.. For a self-proclaimed "wicked Yankee girl" , you're awfully kind.

"The Journalist" got to smear Russians and internet users all in one sentence. Bonus.

Now we'll have to see if D/S just tone down their costumes or play up their generic ( read: fantasy) aborigine claim. If so , the costumes could be quite something , and the whole effort would be way outside the OD guidelines , wouldn't it? Where would that leave them ?

Wicked

Final Flight
I'm glad they're changing the costumes. I wonder if we'll get to see the new costumes prior to the OD.

lcd

Match Penalty
To me it would not be a surprise at all if in a certain way all of this publicity isn't somehow highly desired by D/S as part of their coach's strategy. The controversy has been unfortunate in my mind because it distracts from the underlying issue of how and whether the reigning World Champions will perform. It would be almost unprecedented for a reigning World Champion to not come in either first or second in the subsequent Olympics. This controversy serves to create "buzz" and in the event a disappointment for them is the result, they can further point to the "distraction" as an unfair cause.

I say - let the skating do the talking.

Mafke

Medalist
Now we'll have to see if D/S just tone down their costumes or play up their generic ( read: fantasy) aborigine claim. If so , the costumes could be quite something , and the whole effort would be way outside the OD guidelines , wouldn't it? Where would that leave them ?

Well, last season they pretty much openly violated the spirit, iif not the letter, of the ISU guidelines without suffering any penalties (unless you count them being made the most unpopular world champions since the Italians in 2001 as a penalty). My guess is that they won't suffer any penalties.

I just saw the photos of the costumes for the first time. Talk about loud! My favorite comment was from the New York Times, about the leaves: at the end of the routine, you didn't know whether to bring out the Zamboni or a rake.

In the defense of the skaters and their team, I think people preparing for a huge competition are so concentrated on their own concerns that they aren't really aware of how their ideas will be interpreted by the world outside skating. But really, if you're planning on using the equivalent of blackface make-up in this day and age, you should go with your second choice...

By contrast, does anyone remember that beautiful "Missing" program Christopher Dean choreographed for the Duchesnays? It was set to Andean music, and it dealt with political prisoners. As I recall, the skaters wore street clothes: Paul wore business slacks, a shirt, and a tie, while Isabelle wore a knee-length red day dress. It was riveting.