?: What can we throw onto the ice after the performance? | Golden Skate

?: What can we throw onto the ice after the performance?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've never been to the Olympics before; God willing this will be my first time. :)

And on that score I wanted to know what the protocol is for throwing gifts/flowers/stuffed animals onto the ice after the skater's performance?

How big should be the gift be? Is it supposed to be wrapped (btw I know flowers are s'posed to be)? How much can it weigh? The dimensions of said gift? Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for your replies in advance!:cool:

i love to skate

Medalist
I've never been to the Olympics before; God willing this will be my first time. :)

And on that score I wanted to know what the protocol is for throwing gifts/flowers/stuffed animals onto the ice after the skater's performance?

How big should be the gift be? Is it supposed to be wrapped (btw I know flowers are s'posed to be)? How much can it weigh? The dimensions of said gift? Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for your replies in advance!:cool:

Keep in mind if you are bringing something into the venue it may be taken away from you. It is going to be airport-like security at the venues and you are prohibited from bringing in a large variety of items. With my tickets came a very thick booklet about all the rules, regulations, etc. Just a heads up.

As for the size you are allowed to bring in one bag that can fit underneath the seat - so I would assume what you are throwing would have to fit in there.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Keep in mind if you are bringing something into the venue it may be taken away from you. It is going to be airport-like security at the venues and you are prohibited from bringing in a large variety of items. With my tickets came a very thick booklet about all the rules, regulations, etc. Just a heads up.

Oh no~~~! I was intending on throwing my beautiful hand grenades on to the ice as a token of my appreciation! :-(

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont remember,are banners allowed in Olympics? I cant seem to remember any in torino, only flags, which i guess you buy them from inside the arena.

Nadine

Record Breaker

As for the size you are allowed to bring in one bag that can fit underneath the seat - so I would assume what you are throwing would have to fit in there.

Thanks for the heads up! :) I'm nervous as is, still trying to attain tickets, and get my passport in order, et al. And on top of that I'm worried about what is allowed to throw onto the ice (will have to look at past Olympic LPs to see what they too threw onto the ice, lol). I had planned to throw something onto the ice for practcially every man that skates, but now realize that will be impossible, hopefully I'll be able to throw something for Evgeni at least. Thankfully I didn't buy anything yet, as I almost bought something at the store the other day until I read your post. :)

seniorita, good question, I'm not sure banners are allowed, but maybe I can wear a Plushenko shirt, along with my blond mullet wig.:laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would think nothing at the Vancouver Olympics. The VANOC police will be checking everyone before they enter the building. The security will be unreal....

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for your replies, no matter how serious (or humorous :laugh:), I'm just trying to get all my ducks in order.

Today I applied for my EDL (i.e. Enhanced Driver's License), which is a godsend compared to having to update my passport (which would've taken 6-8 weeks). Thank goodness the EDL is an alternative passport method allowed by the border patrol. It costs only $15, and is accepted if traveling by car/truck (not plane), but only 4 states have EDL (Washington state being one of them). :thumbsup: My 12 yr. old baby niece's is easier because she's under 16 yrs. old, so she only needs her original birth certificate & a note from my sister allowing her to travel to the Olympics with me. :love:

Now I just need to buy a gift for Evgeni & wait until the last week to buy my tickets, as the prices should go down by then. ;)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just wanted to repost this here for anyone looking to purchase tickets, and what to watch out for:

I'm looking to obtain the best seats possible at the most reasonable price, and that means the following:

a.) MUST be Category A lower bowl, which are the best in the house (everything else is basically nosebleed, and also a lot of sellers are tricky & don't tell you that their Category A is upper bowl/level, which is why I always ask first).

b.) MUST be from a reputable seller, with no tricks involved, as I've run into a lot of scams.

Just the other day a seller wanted $2,000 for FRONT ROW seats to the Figure Skating Gala, which is a steal, thus that set off my warning bells. And, aha, he wanted cash, and for me to meet him up in Vancouver ASAP to do the exchange. That was it, so I said "no". Seriously, if the price is too good to be true then it is!:think:

The face value for each ticket is as follows (of course I expect markup, but too many sellers are going way overboard & their markup is 1000 times higher than what they originally paid):

MENS FIGURE SKATING FINAL ON 2/18/10 (FACE VALUE)

Category A (lower bowl near the ice) -- $450 (markup on ebay has reached $1,600-$2,000 a ticket or more!):eek:
Category B (upper level) -- $$275 (markup on ebay is also high, but not as high as the aforementioned, though some sellers are unscrupulous & sell at the same price as Category A).:disagree:
Category C (way upper level) -- $150 (ditto)
Category D (way way upper level) -- haven't even looked into the price for this category because I won't even consider it, though I think I read somewhere that it is $60, and honest sellers know these are basically bad seats, so sell them at a reasonable price.

And then there are sellers that are selling Category A seats, but conveniently forget to mention that the VIEW IS OBSTRUCTED, which means that the buyer has a 50% chance of their view being obstructed by the cameras & crew.:eek:hwell:

This is why I ask plenty of questions before even considering to purchase tickets because a lot of sellers fail to mention all the facts, which I just now outlined above, most notablely Category #, Section #, Row #, Seat #. Also, any hidden info. like obstructed view or Category A which is NOT lower bowl near the ice. So I'm hoping my post helps anybody that may get taken for a ride. Prevention instead of intervention is always the best road to take.:cool:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Another HEADS UP:

There are a TON of scams out there, especially on craigslist. I was all set to purchase 2 tickets, Category A, etc. for $2,500. It all seemed legitimate, but when it came time to pay the email looked very very suspicious, supposedly from ebay with an invoice, et al.

So what to do in this situation is the following:

A.) first flag the posting (in the upper right hand corner there are four choices, choose prohibited)
B.) next report it to [email protected] (make sure to include the 10-digit post ID number in your email)
C.) then report it to [email protected] (forward the fraudulent email/invoice to [email protected], exactly as is, don't put anything in the message or the header, leave as is)
D.) finally report it to the FTC through their 24 hour toll free hotline at 1-877-382-4357 (takes less than 3 minutes total, well worth the effort!)

I hope this has helped someone. Remember, prevention is always better than intervention! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
b.) MUST be from a reputable seller, with no tricks involved, as I've run into a lot of scams.

The only reputable seller is VANOC or the ticketing agent in your country. VANOC has warned multiple times to not buy off of ebay, craiglists, kijiji, etc. When a person resells their tickets on the VANOC website - the seller has their ticket disabled and a new ticket is printed for the buyer to pick up at the box office. The seller can then turn around and say they have a ticket for sale on ebay or what not. The buyer gets it - and has no way to find out it is disabled until they go to the venue on the day of competition and are turned away because the ticket is invalid. Another worry is that the ticket is a total fake - there have been MANY floating around out there. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info., much appreciated.

There literally have been thousands of sales of Olympic Tickets on ebay, and ebay's new buyer protection is supposed to cover such things, so I know there will be a lot of unhappy customers if they get to their scheduled event & can't get in.

I've seen the prices on VANOC & ticket venues in my own country, and they are outrageous! The fan-to-fan site literally has tickets for Category A selling up to $4,500 per ticket! It's all legal per VANOC policies & procedures, seen here & here:

https://tickets.vancouver2010.com/buy/TicketSales (need to register in order to sign up for the fan-to-fan auctions or to even view the prices that they are selling at; simple process to register; also there is a lot of legal jargon saying it's allright for the Canadian citizen to sell to others outside the country; keep in mind there is additional charges besides the price of the ticket that incurs when selling on VANOC's fan-to-fan auctions)

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=23410.html (December 2009 article about the legality of it all)

So, yes, it is up to buyer to do some investigating work & decide what is best for him/her. Myself, I do a lot of phone calls, double-checking & rechecking & even more checking. Calling all the venues, references, etc.

"We must combine the toughness of the serpent with the softness of the dove, a tough mind and a tender heart"

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Olympic+ticket+buyers+told+they+luck/2522462/story.html - even a lawyer fell for this one...

I don't agree with what VANOC is doing with the resell website - there should have been a cap on how much the seller could mark up the price - but I understand that they are trying to prevent buyers from having to get tickets from alternate sources.

As for the price, just be glad you aren't getting tickets for the Men's Gold Medal hockey game - those are going for $30,000-$50,000 :p

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Please, please, please do not throw a shoe, like someone did at last year's Worlds after Mao's SP.

:disapp:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
who pays/has so much money for one competition??30.000 euros is like a year income, lol!
Torino was like 500 euros for mens fs and it was considered also expensive. Athens 2004 500 euros was the open ceremony.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well, I got Category A tickets, unobstructed view, lower bowl/close to the ice (for me to throw my stuffed elephant with attached jewelry for Evgeni after he skates, lol :love:). It took A LOT of hard work these past two weeks, but I finally managed it! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

All legit & above board, complete with two phone references, profile reference, VANOC reference, more phone calls (direct), option to pick them up at his home, pictures/scans, attached emails, legitimate authorized invoice, etc. etc. etc. etc. :thumbsup:

By the way, for those worried they might get taken for a ride concerning what i love to skate stated earlier about an unscrupulous VANOC seller re-selling their ticket twice, here is my seller's reply:

Regarding the warning you attached in your email, I think it's true that someone unscrupulous can sell their tickets twice -- once on the VANOC fan-2-fan site, and once selling the original hardcopy tickets. The deterrents to this seems to be 1.) VANOC withholds the funds from any fan-2-fan sale until April, and explicitly warn that if any ticket appears at a venue twice, you won't be paid, that you are liable for damages, etc. and that you may face criminal prosecution, and 2.) VANOC has my credit card and home address info. (they shipped my Phase 1 & 2 tickets to my home) so it would be impossible to hide! I know this, as I sold a ticket to Curling on the fan-2-fan site, and they sent me various warnings describing the above, including the attached email, which was enough to intimidate me!

I sincerely hope this helps anyone still trying to obtain tickets -- I wish you well, godspeed, and joy in your hunting -- you WILL find them!!!!:cool::agree:

Nadine

Record Breaker
UPDATE:

Yippee!!!!:thumbsup:

Today my EDL arrived (i.e. Enhanced Driver's License), which they said was supposed to take 2-3 weeks when I originally applied for it last Tuesday on February 2nd, thus I was worried it might arrive AFTER the 18th of February (i.e. the Mens Final). But I gambled anyway, taking that chance, by making arrangements & purchasing my tickets beforehand, and my risk paid off big time!:rock:

***Note: for those that don't have time to get their passport updated or get a brand new one (which can take 6-8 weeks & costs over a $100), the EDL is an inexpensive alternative at $15 & only takes 1 week to receive! Of course it can only be used at the border crossing if driving by car/truck (not plane). Also, it is only currently offered in 4 states -- Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington. For more info., click here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html***

Also, yesterday I picked out the perfect elephant for Evgeni, with the help of my 12 yr. old baby niece & 6 yr. old baby nephew, in downtown Seattle at Seattle's oldest toy store! We had a BLAST playing with all the toys, going up & down all three flights of stairs, it seriously is way better than FAO Schwarz toy store. Lol, the elephant was just waiting for us (seriously), as it was the only one they had. A sign I say. *wink*

:love:GOOOOOOOO EVGENI!!!!:love: