Biggest hopes for the Olympics | Golden Skate

Biggest hopes for the Olympics

Layfan

Record Breaker
What are you most hoping for these Olympics?

For me it's:

1. For Mao to get it together and skate great and really give Kim Yuna a tough fight. I miss the rivalry.
2. For Evan to win gold, irritating everyone who is irritated by him. :biggrin:
3. For Jeremy to skate the way he did at nationals.
4. For at least two of the American guys to make the podium.
5. For Rachael and Mirai to skate they way they did at nationals (or even better) and land where they might in the standings.
6. To see a beautiful skate from Stephane Lambiel.
7. To see Joubert beaten the standings by someone who doesn't do a quad. (KIDDING!! sort of)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What are you most hoping for these Olympics?

For me it's:

1. For Mao to get it together and skate great and really give Kim Yuna a tough fight. I miss the rivalry.
2. For Evan to win gold, irritating everyone who is irritated by him. :biggrin:
3. For Jeremy to skate the way he did at nationals.
4. For at least two of the American guys to make the podium.
5. For Rachael and Mirai to skate they way they did at nationals (or even better) and land where they might in the standings.
6. To see a beautiful skate from Stephane Lambiel.
7. To see Joubert beaten the standings by someone who doesn't do a quad. (KIDDING!! sort of)

1. Yes (Battle, not a coronation!:rock:)
2. No.
3. Yes
4. Eh.
5. Kinda yes.
6. Yes
7. Liar!

ETA: How could I forget?! FOR SHEN & ZHAO TO WIN
GOLD. :party2:

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
1. Mao to come back with a good skate, so Ladies event can be more exciting.
2. No splatfest or disappointing upsets
3. Mirai to skate well :)
4. Shen/Zhao to finally win Gold :agree:
5 Zhang/Zhang to skate well (I admire their courage at last Olympics)
6. No judging controversy
7. And for someone to dethrone Plushenko (only because I want to see his reaction:biggrin:)

Btw. Why are so many irritated wih Evan?

Layfan

Record Breaker
1. Mao to come back with a good skate, so Ladies event can be more exciting.
2. No splatfest or disappointing upsets
3. Mirai to skate well :)
4. Shen/Zhao to finally win Gold :agree:
5 Zhang/Zhang to skate well (I admire their courage at last Olympics)
6. No judging controversy
7. And for someone to dethrone Plushenko (only because I want to see his reaction:biggrin:)

Btw. Why are so many irritated wih Evan?

From what I gather a lot of people consider him a "meh" skater who doesn't have anything that stands out. So they were down that he won the world gold.

I dunno, I just really enjoy his skating for some reason. I just like his energy and his ice presence. And I think he's a great all around skater who doesn't do anything badly. Actually, who does everything well.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Hahahaha! I meant for people to put their own hopes down but thanks for responding to mine. That works too. :laugh:

*coughtoolazycough*

And for the record, I don't hate Evan, I just ... don't like him? Idk. I used to be a slight fan. Something about him bothers me now. But you're free to like him (obviously).

Layfan

Record Breaker
*coughtoolazycough*

And for the record, I don't hate Evan, I just ... don't like him? Idk. I used to be a slight fan. Something about him bothers me now. But you're free to like him (obviously).

I don't think the people who criticize Evan are Evan haters. I enjoy hearing what everyone thinks about all the skaters. It helps me realize things about them I might not have realized before and be more critical or more appreciative. Sometimes I even change my mind. Like with Jeremy. I've grown to love Jeremy.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I don't think the people who criticize Evan are Evan haters. I enjoy hearing what everyone thinks about all the skaters. It helps me realize things about them I might not have realized before and be more critical or more appreciative. Sometimes I even change my mind. Like with Jeremy. I've grown to love Jeremy.

I know what you mean. I used to dislike Sasha, but since 2006, she's grown on me. *shrugs*

I still don't like Sarah or Tara though, for reason you can guess. (Totally immature, right? I've got another reason too though)

ankka

Rinkside
I would like to see all the inconsistent ones doing well, landing or their jumps and so on. Would be great to see the result lists when everyone skates to their full potential. Of course, knowing it's the biggest competition there is, this is VERY VERY unlikely.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
1) Yu-Na to beatifully win gold
2) A Joubert - Lambiel - Verner podium (yeah, in my dreams!) with three amazing skates
3) The whole competition to be amazing and exciting
4) Fair judging (I'm dreaming too much!)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I think he's a great all around skater who doesn't do anything badly. Actually, who does everything well.

:scratch: ummm, have you ever seen Evan's 3Axel?

My biggest hopes for the Olympics are:

No judging controversy in any discipline
Inspiring skating in all disciplines where every skater skates up to or surpasses his/her full potential, thus making the competition in every discipline really exciting and really unpredictable.
I hope the skaters who are most well-rounded technically and artistically win the medals in every discipline.

Last edited:

inside edge

On the Ice
Inspiring skating in all disciplines where every skater skates up to or surpasses his/her full potential, thus making the competition in every discipline really exciting and really unpredictable.
I hope the skaters who are most well-rounded technically and artistically win the medals in every discipline.

:yes: :yes:

Wicked

Final Flight
Layfan, ITA with your #3 and #6. I'd love to see Tomas come out and skate like he's capable of skating. We haven't seen that all season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Flatt and Nagasu to do their absolute best (in an ideal situation, this would translate to medals for one or both of them :biggrin: )

I wouldn't mind either if one of the US men or dance teams was able to get an OGM.

That's about it for me.

futureidol

On the Ice
1) For Johnny Weir to skate cleanly, with all his intended combination jumps. For him to peak in Vancouver and have the skate of his career. If he skates to his best ability and he is satisfied with it, then that will be a dream come true in itself. A medal is secondary, but of course I want him to have one, preferably gold or silver. I also want him to be the highest placing American man in the event. :love:

2) For Davis & White to win America's first OGM in Ice Dance. :bow:

3) For Apolo Anton Ohno to get another gold. :love:

Those are my top 3 wishes, of course I have others but those are the most important to me.

Layfan

Record Breaker
:scratch: ummm, have you ever seen Evan's 3Axel?

My biggest hopes for the Olympics are:

I"ll check out his 3axel more carefully. Is it really bad though or just not as good as other people's?

Layfan, ITA with your #3 and #6. I'd love to see Tomas come out and skate like he's capable of skating. We haven't seen that all season.

Thanks, and I realize that #3 and #6 could be contradictory with #2 but I've never said my hopes were rational. :biggrin: