Men Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skate

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Reynolds underrotated the 4T, underrotated and fell on the 3A, doubled the flutz in combo, and fell on a 3T. If he couldn't hold his nerves together at 4CC, I can't imagine what he would do in Vancouver under pressure of skating on home ice. Kevin has never fared well with the ISU judges and tech panels (although Chipeur had two dreadful GP events) because he consistently URs, has sloppy landings, and his presentation is still not quite on a par with the top men.

Quads aren't the key to success unless they are completely rotated and the other jumps are rotated and landed well with good flowout. Kevin needs more guidance than his current coach can possibly provide.

I definitely agree with this.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon was my predicted winner the same as alot of you. Iam so glad he put in such a great free. Shawn sawyer i expected to be higher but he also came back strong in his free , though overall didn't end up quite high enough. He medalled at SA so he had it in him to skate a great free program. I hope i still get to see Shawn skate next season. Ryan Bradley moved up, though with Kevin iam always slightly disappointed when someone has a strong short and its so high it holds them up to medal even with a poor free, but Kevin did skate so well at Nationals in the free so does have it in him. Though didn't seem to bold well for him having been the favourite after the short.

I've been wondering if Shawn is going to skate next season. I like him and want him to, but he has been around a long time and is 25 so I was wondering if he wanted to retire even though no one's said anything about it.

figuristka

Medalist
I would love to see him back next season too. His free program at 4cc was about the best ive seen him skate. So glad i was able to view it. He had a fully rotated 3 axel, and i think this element has improved though he did have slightly a 2 footed landing. If he could get this clean, i think he could have quite a good season next year. Perhaps Chiper might even retire. Both Rippon and Shawn Sawyer's free program are worth watching at 4cc. :clap:

oakl0008

Rinkside
I would love to see him back next season too. His free program at 4cc was about the best ive seen him skate. So glad i was able to view it. He had a fully rotated 3 axel, and i think this element has improved though he did have slightly a 2 footed landing. If he could get this clean, i think he could have quite a good season next year. Perhaps Chiper might even retire. Both Rippon and Shawn Sawyer's free program are worth watching at 4cc. :clap:

I do wonder if one last season is in the cards? Someone on another forum was comparing Bradley's and Sawyer's Amadeus programs and saying that Bradley "sold it better". While Bradley's was indeed amazing, and he deserved the marks he received, both programs are different and incomparable in that regard. Both skaters are different temperaments.

I've been wondering if Shawn is going to skate next season. I like him and want him to, but he has been around a long time and is 25 so I was wondering if he wanted to retire even though no one's said anything about it.

I also wonder if it would be better for Sawyer to leave now on a good note. His seasons in the last few years were up and down and this was one of the few times it ended relatively "well" with that great free program. Whatever Sawyer does I just hope he's around for a long long time with more great work.

He had mentioned wanting to pursue an art career, although I don't know how far he could take that, especially in this economy. If he plays his cards right, it could work out. Apparently a few of his paintings are Modigliani inspired. I wish he'd post some of his work on a website already! Hurry up Shawn! Your fans are waiting! :D

who won???ryan??:D

Adam Rippon won, in stellar fashion. Ryan Bradley and Shawn Sawyer also had great free skates. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon won, in stellar fashion. Ryan Bradley

wow, adam???:clap:From 7th place???Wow! And Bradley second???:rock:I ll search the videos!

Now, why these two could not have this skate at nationals?(frustration emoticon)

Figure88

On the Ice
Any links to Rippon's FS yet? I'm dying to see the performance that vaulted him from 7th to win the gold. Woohoo!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Now, why these two could not have this skate at nationals?(frustration emoticon)

um... Bradley had a FANTASTIC LP skate at Nationals... the reason he didn't make the team was he bombed the SP (and according to reports he did the almost exact same thing here at 4CCs)

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh yes, i forgot about his LP at nationals! Still sad he is not on the team! He would spice up the Olys for sure!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

um... Bradley had a FANTASTIC LP skate at Nationals... the reason he didn't make the team was he bombed the SP (and according to reports he did the almost exact same thing here at 4CCs)

Yeah, it was pretty much the same, and I think the one jump he messed up was even the same, the triple axel.

betoncookie

Rinkside
I definitely agree with this.

I also agree with some of it. I do not see consistently sloppy landings from Reynolds but he has had his fair share of them. As for holding his nerves together at the Olympics, one of the greatest skaters ever was a chronic Olympics underachiever, and that's Kurt Browning. Sometimes it all boils down to the day. Liz Manning was so stressed out during much of her career that her hair started falling out. But who will ever forget that magical skate she had in 88 in Calgary.Canada has never produced ( thank God) cookie cutter skaters technically or artistically in the Men's events. We gave the world the likes of Don Jackson, Toller Cranston, Gary Beacom, Brian Pockar, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stoyko and Jeff Buttle plus so many others who were innovative, creative and unbelievably athletic. Everyone of them were pioneers on some level. So could Reynolds hold it together when it counts? I don't know the answer to that. And I don't think even Kevin knows, much less his coach. I wish him well in the future, and can only hope that the skaters we DO send to Vancouver control their nerves and give the performances of a lifetime.GO CANADA!

enlight78

Medalist
i cant find videos of any body but adam; i would love to see Machida, brandon, ryan, and nan songs also

sleepymom

Rinkside
Saw Adam's FS. Thanks Sdongxie! That was very very smooth skate from Adam, and really lovely. :love: Hope that this is not the last time this season Adam skates this free!

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Just watched Rippon's LP on Youtube. His reaction after the program was as priceless as Taylor Swift's when she won Record of the Year at the Grammy's tonight. :clap:

Very nice performance. Hope to see him at World's, and look forward to seeing new programs from him in future years.