Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Music and Skating

Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Musical Oda ?

OK ,I'm going to try..c'mon Nobu..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chC_2...eature=related

Did that work?
    Yes, that works for me. Very nice skating and good expression.

Musical Oda ?

OK ,I'm going to try..c'mon Nobu..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chC_2...eature=related

Did that work?
    Check List
    1. The body moves in the dramatic mode - not the braggart mode
    2. He doesn't stop to pose and grimace at the audience
    3. He is inside the character of Caravadossi at all times
    4. His Timing is impecable - the legs do not miss a beat
    5. His Tricks are dance steps and do not overshadow the dance.
    6. His arms flow in accordance with the music and not for the sake of grabbing attention
    7. His dramatic artistry is contained within the music and the character he is portraying

I think Pavorotti and Puccini would nod their heads in assent for that performance.

Lori Nichole v. Morozov are just two different approaches.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    I saw it on Eurosport the other day. It's not in the flamboyant/ non-flamboyant range. It's gawd awful embarrassingly bad. Unique.
    I have just watched Plushenko's Euro Ex. on Youtube. With the meaning I have in mind, I wouldn't call it flamboyant. I would call it powerful. But I don't really like it. I would prefer Plushenko's 2006 Olympics Ex.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 02-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Ah. The Braggart Mode .How succinct. That one will stay with me.

I like Joe's breakdown.

That's not to say though , that a musical skater might not also do the occasional "trick" trick or attention-grabbing arm movement, because the choreographer is responsible for their use in a program..but a non-musical skater would need to rely on them.

With Oda, you could see his musicality from the get go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5Ze...8E1100&index=1

He can adapt so easily to any style of music or choreography and it just seems natural.
    Dang ! The other night there was a program from wa-a-ay back in his career. I think it was 2002, or at most 2003 , and now I can't get it to come up.It must still be there, somewhere... maybe you can luck on to it if you try.He was very young, and the program was much more simple, but even though you could see he was having to focus more on his elements, you could also see that his body was ready to respond to the music at all times.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 02-07-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Ah. The Braggart Mode .How succinct. That one will stay with me.

With Oda, you could see his musicality from the get go.

He can adapt so easily to any style of music or choreography and it just seems natural.
    Dang ! The other night there was a program from wa-a-ay back in his career. I think it was 2002, or at most 2003 , and now I can't get it to come up.It must still be there, somewhere... maybe you can luck on to it if you try.He was very young, and the program was much more simple, but even though you could see he was having to focus more on his elements, you could also see that his body was ready to respond to the music at all times.
    That is why I look at comps wherever I can to spot young talent who can dance on the ice. However, all my discoveries since 2002 do not hold up after a while.

In the words of Lermontov (The Red Shoes movie) he asked Victoria Page: Why do you want to dance, Miss Page? She answered with a question to him: Why do you want to live? Of course love got in the way of the dance. Tragic ending. Colleen, see the movie if you haven't already.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    One of my favourite movies. I was maybe 12 the first time I saw it. At that age, the story went over my head, but I was there for the dance anyway. I've seen it quite a few times since, and you remind me I've been meaning to acquire a copy of the DVD that came out a few yrs. ago.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10