Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Music and Skating

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It means, when you see Plushy it's like when a hungry dog sees a big, juicy steak.
    dooong!
    oh god, lol! You were very descriptive, I spitted my cola all over my books, thanx mathman for that!

Then no, I m not in a club that sees Plushy as a hamburger. I was speaking skatingwise.
    No i m embarrassed.:o

Changing subject. This Solokova Lp is one of my favs ever. Thanx for bringing the video

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    20012002--well, you're all going to kill me, but I remember (with the music playing in my head) Timothy Goebel's great performance to an American in Paris in the lP and Yags' SP to Winter. Sometimes a skater finds 'his' or 'her' music. Maybe they can't relate to or express every piece they ever skate to, but some combinations of skater and music just click. Timothy just clicked with American in Paris, although not with much of anything else in his career. In Ladies, I draw a complete and utter blank, except for Angela Nikidinovs' SP at Nationals (she didn't qualify for Olympics) to No One Gives up on Love, and Kwan's Fields of Gold in the Ex. I remember Anissina & Peizerat's flamenco, and their EX to Susanna (In fact one reason I love ice dance is that I remember so much more of the programs and the music than for the other disciplines). B&S's Lady Caliph is one of the best SP's for pairs of all time. But Ina & Zimmerman's SP to Shine on you crazy diamond (Pink Floyd) and LP to Variations on a Theme by Paganini were also very memorable.

Custom Title
    Well I don't think it was the most brilliant program of all time, but I will always remember Philippe Candeloro skating to the music from The Godfather...it just seemed to fit him so well. By the same token I remember Paul Wylie's silver medal Olympic performance but can't for the life of me remember the music.

Custom Title
    Okay, let's use doris' example. She came up with seven programs that she thought were memorable, off the top of her head for the 2001/02 season.

Mathman thought of two great performances from the 2002/2003 season (and as he pointed out, he remembers performances above programs, which is an interesting point). I love the link he posted, as Button and Fleming basically roast Sokolova for being "sloppy" and her artistry certainly wasn't celebrated.

janetfan has mentioned six LPs from the 01/02 season

So, can we say there are seven long programs from this season in all disciplines worthy of being called great (or two, using Mathman's stringent standards?)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post

janetfan has mentioned six LPs from the 01/02 season

So, can we say there are seven long programs from this season in all disciplines worthy of being called great (or two, using Mathman's stringent standards?)
    I guess I picked the wrong year so eliminate mine for now and stick with 2003. I answered before off the top of my head - and might rather think about it.
    But to go by what I remember rather than going back and looking at clips I can say Sasha's Swan Lake LP is memorable to me. Lovely skating, beautiful music and marvelous costume.

I prefer music without a story background, and see what the skater can do with it. However, I saw some of the Disson show today and, it seemed all the skaters had no individual style. And those screeching fans do verify that the sport lacks substance and the music is limited. JMO.

^ Didn't you think Jeremy Abbott brought something extra in his second performance?

I thought Michelle added alot to the show. But today is Sunday and I was involved with my monthly peyote celebration so it all looked good.

Actually, I found the skating hard to watch and the music unusally distracting. There were no "Bianchetti moments" for me on the disson show.

I only saw the last hour .........did I miss something good in the first hour?

I turned it off by that time. The screeching fans turn me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Mathman thought of two great performances from the 2002/2003 season (and as he pointed out, he remembers performances above programs, which is an interesting point)...

(or two, using Mathman's stringent standards?)
    The more I think about it, maybe there was only one long program that year (2002-03) that made memorable use of the music. That would be Shen and Zhao's Turandot.

As for Michelle's Aranjuez, as thrilling as her Worlds' performance was, I just now watched it muted with Tosca playing on my CD player, and I couldn't really tell the difference.

This rebuilding year seems to have been a dud, 6.0 or no 6.0. (Sasha's Swan Lake was the next season, 2003-04, which also featured Arakawa's Turandot, Lambiel's whatever-it-was (one of Stephane's greatest shows, but I forgot the music), and Michelle's National's performance of Tosca (amazing technical and emotional performance, meh? music)

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I turned it off by that time. The screeching fans turn me off.
    On the other thread people are conjecturing that NBC must have hired some young girls from the audience to stand next to the microphone and screech into it for the whole show.
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-31-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

On the other thread people are conjecturing that NBC must have hired some young girls from the audience to stand next to the microphone and screech into it for the whole show.
    They don't do that at the Metropolitan Opera House which is full of 'artistry'. I believe they use a claque from time to time, but that claque is hired by the performer. Do you think figure skaters hire screechers?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Lambiel's whatever-it-was (one of Stephane's greatest shows, but I forgot the music)
    Stephan in 2004 was switching programs both in sp and lp, i ve lost count! I suppose you dont mean the shakira sp??

Do you think figure skaters hire screechers?
    i hope they do, I could built a carreer on this

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    At this point I've re-watched a lot of my favorite performances enough times that I can't honestly say which ones I truly "remember." Except one: Oksana Baiul's Swan Lake SP at the 1994 Olympics. I can honestly say I never, ever forgot that performance. And when youtube finally let me watch it again many years later I realized that I did remember specific moments, specific steps and spins, and her ending pose. She is just one of those skaters. Nobody had moved across the ice exactly like her and probably no one ever will.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    both of Baiul's Swan Lakes are indelibly etched on my brain, white and black.

Yag's Winter was the best thing he ever did.

Usually it's the perfect performance of the program that gets you..but sometimes , I find a program stays with me even if I never saw it performed clean. That's one reason I can't get so enthused about Michelle's Aranjuez ( what I always think of when I think of her is the Fields of Gold Ex. )..This is because when I hear Aranjuez, what comes to mind is Takeshi Honda's FS to that music ( Lori Nichol, I think..and I'd have to check what year). Sadly ,he was having problems that year and I don't think we ever saw it clean...still makes me sad. It was an absolutely gorgeous program ,and he had such clear connection with the music..it spoiled my enjoyment of that music for any other skater for a long time.

I think for this year,a lot is going to depend on how well the programs are skated at Olys as to whether they become truly iconic, or not... V/M's Mahler is already almost there and could be completely unforgettable in a couple of weeks.

D/W's OD is already a classic ..while I really like their Phantom, for me last year's Samson & Delilah was just perfect for them.

Other programs that might hold that potential for me :

Either of Jeremy Abbot's programs

Maybe Yuna's gershwin

Either of Suzuki's programs , if clean... she sure knows how to pull out all the stops.

Mmmm...I have to think some more.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 02-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post

I think for this year,a lot is going to depend on how well the programs are skated at Olys as to whether they become truly iconic, or not... V/M's Mahler is already almost there and could be completely unforgettable in a couple of weeks.

D/W's OD is already a classic ..while I really like their Phantom, for me last year's Samson & Delilah was just perfect for them.

Other programs that might hold that potential for me :

Either of Jeremy Abbot's programs

Maybe Yuna's gershwin

Either of Suzuki's programs , if clean... she sure knows how to pull out all the stops.

Mmmm...I have to think some more.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast