Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1/31 U.S. TV Alert: "Skate For the Heart" on NBC

I've watched parts of it yesterday and I couldn't help but cringe with all those teenyboppers being there for the musical acts and not for the skaters. Seriously, all you see are posters for that Jonas Brothers wannabes during Jeremy's performance.

At least Johnny Gaga "saved" the show!

As far as Kwan's commentary, not my cup of tea. She's a little dry. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by olympia View Post
    that's the trouble with shows of this kind, with live performers--the camera cuts away from the skater to show the singers. Makes me gnash my teeth! I try to remind myself that jordin sparks and other popular performers might bring in viewers and up the ratings, but it's so frustrating when you can't watch the skaters build their routines.
    ita

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    By contrast, Peggy is able to invest her words with both clarity and feeling. I always wondered whether Peggy just gained practice, or whether she trained in some way. Her first attempts were very whispery and tentative, as I recall.
    In Peggy's book The Long program (great title!), she says she was really bad at it at first and got better only with years of practice. Plus, she was terrified of Dick Button.

Somehow she got it in her head that Dick Button had once been crtical of her skating and didn't like her. Fortunately, Button was able to clear that up -- he loved Peggy's skating and was very pleased to take her under his wing as a fledgling commentator.

No reason for the meanies to pick on Michelle in any case. She has no serious practice or training in this area, just some pep rally speeches for the State Department about work hard and get back up after you fall, etc. We'll see how it all turns out. Anyway, everybody loves Mivchelle, so THIS for the critics:

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Well Dick and Peggy loved Michelle when she was competing so I can't imagine that Michelle feels any annamosity from her fellows in the booth. She just seems self-concious when talking, something I never got from her when she was a skater. I guess she feels all eyes on her or something. I read once that the best performers are very shy in real life. When they are stage they feel like another person and thus can bare thier soul. I guess the ice was Michelle's stage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Well Dick and Peggy loved Michelle when she was competing so I can't imagine that Michelle feels any annamosity from her fellows in the booth. She just seems self-concious when talking, something I never got from her when she was a skater. I guess she feels all eyes on her or something. I read once that the best performers are very shy in real life. When they are stage they feel like another person and thus can bare thier soul. I guess the ice was Michelle's stage.
    I think you have something there, Tinymavy. Additionally, Michelle may have grown up being told to behave and not to reveal too much emotion, because she was in the public eye from such a young age. That can be very inhibiting after awhile. Besides, people's public speaking talents differ. My boss is amazing at it: he's warm and engaging and obviously feels exceedingly comfortable being the focus of all eyes. By contrast, I practically stutter, and I sound as if everything coming out of my mouth is an excuse, or a word from another language. At least Michelle's voice is a pleasant pitch. And, of course, she skates like a goddess.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I wouldn't bet on Michelle ever becoming a good commentator. She's had years to work at it, and she still doesn't get it. Chalk it up to one of those things MK just can't do, no matter how much she tries, like a true 3lutz, a good layback, or winning an Olympic gold.
    Your gushing about Michelle is just overwhelming!!!! Me thinks you must be one of her loyal fans.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I haven't watched a single Disson show since that "Kristi" show (well, take her name out and replace it with the Jonas Brothers since NBC made them the stars) that one year when they showed 5% skating and 95% singing. After that I gave up watching them. I've tried to get people to protest or contact Disson with our complaints, but no one has the guts, I guess.

Custom Title
    There is something not many people seem to have noticed. Michelle introduced Mirai, Johnny, Evan and others as "2010 Olympians"; and this was before the teams were picked. It looks like a little post editing was done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2