Olympic Costumes! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Olympic Costumes!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim's SP costume will probably be the only one joining my all time favorite lists. Just so perfect for her Bond girl routine and she looks awesome, awesome, awesome in black. I loved the cut of both of her skirts and I think Caro should take a page from that...

My favorite red costume of the night was Laura Lepisto. Wow, she looked gorgeous. More Laura Lepisto, please!!

Second favorite red costume was Mirai Nagasu. Mirai simply looked scrumptious. Akiko's red is a close third.:biggrin:

I was so hoping Mao would change her over-the-top-yet-somehow-dreary costumes. They almost aged her but didn't manage it because she is just so graceful and in such good shape.

I loved Evan's LP costume. Funny how Vera's snakes worked when you would think they wouldn't and her feather cuffs just came across looking silly.

I loved how Johnny's costumes were a little restrained this time but still so Johnny. Kudos.

I can't even remember Dai's costumes but I remember thinking he looked terrific.

There were many unfortunate costumes among the men. But I can't even remember them because that skeleton costume the Belgian skater wore was so ridiculous that I was almost blinded for the rest of the competition. I wish he had skated with one of the those little orange plastic jack-o-laterns kids go trick-or-treating with.

Well, that was fun! Love being a hack fashion critic...

janetfan

Match Penalty
There were many unfortunate costumes among the men. But I can't even remember them because that skeleton costume the Belgian skater wore was so ridiculous that I was almost blinded for the rest of the competition. I wish he had skated with one of the those little orange plastic jack-o-laterns kids go trick-or-treating with.

:rofl:

Kevin is a Hall of Famer when it comes to silly costumes. :)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
My favourite costume was Yu-Na's LP. She looked classy & the royal blue was striking on the ice. Also, a lot of other girls had chosen red so that blue stood out nicely. Mirai's LP dress was pretty, too. Mao, ruffles and chokers. Ai! It's her signature look but I don't care for it. She's a young lady, I want to see her look like a young lady: red and black with the red, red lips & decolletage on the dress, did not suit her at all. She's petite and cute and I want to see her wearing something that shows her youth without being juvenile (as for that, same goes with her programs). Miki....just not even going to go there. Just pelase tell me we won't be seeing the spider on the chest outfit for the gala.

Domnina/Shabalin: oh, I hated the OD and the FD ( a face on your chest? Really? My husband thought for the first minute of the program he was seeing a "wardrobe malfunction"). They need more costumes like the CD and less like the OD/FD. I hated almost all the OD costumes. If it had been a costume contest V/M and D/W still would have been gold and silver! They both looked classy. Even though D/W did a Bollywood theme, it was not 'over the top" as so many others were.

I don't remember which ones they were, I think it was Kiira Korpi and one of the Chinese couples (dance?) who wore dayglo. I mean, Kiira is a stunning lady. She could have worn anything and made it look good-except that. Could the ISU just go ahead and ban the dayglo?

Now don't shoot me fellow Canadians (LOL) but I did not like Tessa's white dress for the FD and I kept wondering what the colour was of the *other one* she had mentioned that was a 'different' colour.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Pairs:
I'm blanking out except for the top four. I liked Shen/Zhao's SP outfits and "meh" on Savchenko/Szolkowy's clowns. I wasn't sold on Pang/Tong's costumes, while I wish I hadn't seen Kavaguti's exposed "heart."

Men's:
I'm not a big fan of Evan's skating, but I like his Firebird costume. The Scheherazade one was elegantly understated, also. I just don't think both outfits were quite his style. Evgeni's SP costume looked nice. I loved Dai's SP costume (his LP one, not so much)!!! I laughed when someone posted that it was like Michael Jackson on ice. I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that Stephane could not top his 2006 magic zebra. :D Of the 'casual'-type costumes, I like Takahiko's and Jeremy's. Raised my eyebrows at Kevin's skeleton.

Ice Dance:
Hoo boy. I think the most 'interesting' costumes pop up in ice dance. Tessa and Scott definitely deserve gold; they were very classy and elegant-looking. I loved Tessa's OD dress. As for her FD dress, it was quite lovely, but I prefer the one at TEB and the one at Skate Canada. I am still mind-boggled by the number of her FD dresses alone (Four, at the very least. Not sure if she had a new one at Nationals).

I really love Meryl's OD costume, and would have it slightly edge out Tessa's flamenco dress. Meryl's Christine dress was a bit simple for me, though. Actually, I wish that Davis/White skated to last year's Samson and Delilah instead of PotO...

I could have gone my whole life without seeing Domnina/Shabalin's OD costumes. Too bad they were plastered all over the web. But their CD costumes were good and allowed the fans to focus on the skating. Khoklova's Firebird costume was a little too bare/exposed for me, but once I read someone else's explanation about the story from Russian folklore, I understand. Her 'jerky' bird impression didn't really convince me, though.

Delobel's OD dress seemed a little muted to me, for a Can-Can, but otherwise it was fine. I wished she used the skirts more exuberantly.

Ladies:
I rather liked Sarah Hecken's blue dress with the flowers. Ksenia's purple costume was quite lovely. Unfortunately for Alena, she skated to Chicago long after I saw Jenny Kirk's fabulous version. Jenny was totally channeling Roxie Hart through her hairdo, beaded dress and fun/flirty choreo. IMO, Alena should have tailored her costume (and performance) to evoke Catherine Zeta-Jones' Velma Kelly. I wish Akiko had kept the GPF 'Maria' dress, but her Olympic LP dress was okay; I loved her SP costume.

I wish that Rachael's LP dress was of a more flattering cut; I actually like her SP outfit. I was not really sold on either of Mirai's costumes; they were pretty, not outstanding. But she performed quite wonderfully! As for Miki, I am extremely glad she ditched the GPF Cleopatra dress. I think her designer/costume maker was talking to Evan's (what the heck, snakes). The cross on her chest for the Requiem SP made me go 'huh?', but it's scads better than a spider on one breast. I liked Joannie's SP dress with the roses.

I hope Mao finds a new style for her costumes. I didn't think the chokers suited her. I actually like the material of her LP dress, just not the cut; it could have been much better, I thought.

I love both of Yu-Na's costumes and thought they suited her and her programs. That Bond girl costume is just sexy, while the Gershwin was colorful (What a vivid blue!) yet elegantly regal.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really liked Min-Jung Kwak's LP dress, all those gorgeous shades of green and the cut emphasized her long limbs.
Miki's LP dress I thought was stunning - that girl has a hot body and that dress showed it off unlike her puffy russian SP dresses. Green is also a great color on her - she looked absolutely beautiful!
Mirai's LP dress is very flattering in both the colors and cut. Her SP dress it cute too but it really emphasizes her broad shoulders.
Joannie's SP dress was very flattering, the LP one is nice too and she looks hot but for some reason she looks especially muscly in it (not that that's a bad thing)
Rachael's SP dress I love just because it's pink and fits the program and looks nice with her blonde hair and coloring

screech

Final Flight
Speaking of costumes, LOL!

I like this commentary on Brian's SP costume
The thing that cracks us up most about skating costumes is how everyone agrees to pretend like they don't look like...well, what they look like. On any other man in any other setting, this outfit would read as the sleaziest, most "airport lounge" look you could imagine. The gold chain? The glittery open shirt? The skin tight pants? Come on now!
Which is funny, cause that costume could actually be considered pretty 'masculine' on the ice. We are fans of such a crazy sport. Which makes it all the more awesome.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Joannie's SP dress was very flattering, the LP one is nice too and she looks hot but for some reason she looks especially muscly in it (not that that's a bad thing)

I know her LP costume a themed one. But her upper body is well-built and I don't think that showing sides of the waist is very flattering for her. I find the last year's LP costume more flattering on her. It had a similar color but the design suited her better.
She looks nicer in simple costumes because she looks very mature. Somehow, I liked her last year's SP costume very much mainly because the colors went so well with her skin tone and hair color. It was also pleasantly light for Joannie. I think that Joannie always knows what colors suit her well.

My vote for best costumes:

Dance: Tessa Virtue, OD.

Ladies: Yu-na Kim, Bond girl. (runnerup, Mirai as Carmen's kid sister :) )

Men: Who else but...KVDP :rock:

Pairs: It was so long ago I forgot.

Last edited: