Olympic Costumes! | Golden Skate

Olympic Costumes!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Just wondering if people have something new or use the same ones!

Mao - she says in an interview that she is still thinking, but that she likes the current LP costume.

Miki - her mom and a manga artist make a new one.

Yuna - does anyone know it? I love her current costumes.

Joannie - ?

Lepisto - ?

Caro - Has the problem with the low-cut costume fixed?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Akiko's costume at 4CC was very pretty, but not very West Side Story-ish , so I'm hoping to see a different one in Vancouver. It's possible that she wouldn't have ordered a new WSS costume until she knew she would be going (think of the cost), which wouldn't have allowed much time to have it ready for 4CC.

I shudder to think what Miki will appear in..Didn't team Miki say they'd prepared 7 FD costumes? We haven't seen that many.Each one has been progressively more garish and revealing. Heaven help us.

roma

On the Ice
J
Mao - she says in an interview that she is still thinking, but that she likes the current LP costume.

Miki - her mom and a manga artist make a new one.

Yuna - does anyone know it? I love her current costumes.

No! Mao, pls get a new costume. You can still have a red and/or black one if you like but pls change the design... remove the ruffles pls.
On Miki, Her costumes aren't all that bad [for me anyway] so I'm looking forward to what she'll wear or portray in the Olympics.
Yuna's costumes are excellent even if she doesn't change them.
Joannie... She's changed her SP already, right? We might see a new LP costume at the Olympics.

Wait, in the past Olympics do most (if not all) skaters have different costumes than the ones they used on other competitions for the season?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Some skaters make changes, some don't..I can't say I've noticed most changing , though quite a few seem to. Joannie did wear a different SP costume at Canadians, but I hope she goes back to the old one ,or has something new for Oly's..I didn't like the new one nearly as well. It was perfectly OK..but nothing really distinctive about it. Her LP costume is very well suited to her music, and quite flattering; I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I wondered if Cynthia Phaneuf changed her FS costume at Canadians in part because of the similarity in colour to Joannie's , considering that both programs have an "Orientalist" theme... Either of Cynthia's "Cleopatra" costumes are miles and miles above Miki's. I really hate to see Miki in those humiliating things .Maybe she likes them..but obviously it's Morozov who gets to choose the costume, since she never tarted herself up that way before going to him.

Whether Mao has a new costume or not , it will still be a Tarasova costume , which will mean too much detail of one kind or another.

Whether Yuna has a new costume or not, we can be sure it will be beautiful, simple , impeccable.

All Linichuk costumes will feature the illusion of nakedness on one side of the torso for the women ( unless it's for a couple from a country that insists on something a little more demure , like China ) and a lot of fluttery fabric for both partners, to accentuate , or increase the look of speed, and distract the eye if one needs to hide technical shortcomings.

I haven't noticed this before, but I do discern a very subtle "Stable" identification for S/Z couples this year..the use of roughly the same colour palette for FD costumes , though the design of each set of costumes is unique and suited to each couple and program. That's mainly burgundy and buff for the women, with more variation in the complementing men's costumes. I didn't really notice at first, since I was mainly focused on V/M and D/W..and Tessa's dress , so far, has only used the buff, but add C/Z and H-M/C to the picture, and the label starts to peek out. ( If only every coach / choreographer took such an understated approach. ) So while I still hope for a new dress for Tessa in Vancouver ( I think this one is lovely and romantic, but I prefer a lower waistline ..less likelihood of Scott's head getting wrapped up in her skirts, during lifts ), now I don't expect the colour to change much..

Rachael's costumes are very nice, but so far, she can't live up to their sophistication.

I hope Mirai keeps hers..it suits her figure to a T. and that's a great red.

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
Great post, colleen o'neil!
I was wondering all season why V/M always changed their costumes and D/W skated all competitions in the same ones?
I love both pairs and think that all their costumes are great but really, why not to have a new costume at least for FD (D/W)?
I honestly like all Tessa's dresses but my most favourite one is the one she wore at TEB, white with a long bow...So classy.

inside edge

On the Ice
Great post, colleen o'neil!
I was wondering all season why V/M always changed their costumes and D/W skated all competitions in the same ones?
I love both pairs and think that all their costumes are great but really, why not to have a new costume at least for FD (D/W)?
I honestly like all Tessa's dresses but my most favourite one is the one she wore at TEB, white with a long bow...So classy.

:yes: :yes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would like to see a new Freeskate dress for Mao but I feel that she will stick with the red and black. I think Yu-na is set, and that is a good thing since both her dresses are beautiful. I think Miki will brake out two new dresses, and I really hope Akikko does not wear the dress she wore at 4CC for west side story. I liked the re dress and the white shirt look and also the red beaded one she used for the GPF. She also needed a new dress for the SP which does not scream flamenco.

I suspect that most of the dancers will at least tweak thier looks, I hope Tessa does not wear that ochre colored babydoll cut thing tahr makes her look pregnant. She has such a nice line and figure, why wear something like that?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I kind of like Akiko's SP costume.Her music is from( I think) the second Riverdance tour and has the Uilleann pipes intro and the sort of Celtic fusion finale. If the costume had been more clearly flamenco , the music might have struck me as wrong..so I think they've struck a pretty good balance.I like the idea of the tied shirt costume. They might be able to get a similar but dressier look with finer fabrics ?? I didn't dislike her Nationals LP dress,( kind of like a sundress) but agree it's not quite right..maybe if they'd incorporated a second colour in the skirt ?? I hope there's something else in the works..4cc dress ? too glittery.

(Sending thought waves to Zoueva) ..lower Tessa's waistline..blend in some dusty rose if you're not going to deviate from the palette.

Euro Women ;( I haven't seen all of them yet)

Susanna Poikyo's LP dress is beautiful. Leonova's SP dress is all wrong for a little folk dance...red skirt ; whole bodice illusion fabric except for glittery red/gold floral embroidery up the front covering the naughty bits , kind of like floral suspenders.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I suspect that most of the dancers will at least tweak thier looks, I hope Tessa does not wear that ochre colored babydoll cut thing tahr makes her look pregnant. She has such a nice line and figure, why wear something like that?

I think she looked a bit like Katja Gordeeva (in "The man I love") with the ochre one..
But white is better, like a beautiful bride.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I liked Akiko's 4cc FS costume, but i read elsewhere that she might change it because she doesn't think it matches the music. yet, she looks most beuatiful in that costume among the three of her costumes. I LOVED the gradation of yellow to red in the first costume. it was vivid and fun looking. I didnt like the one at nationals too much because the design is rather plain. i think that the one at 4cc creates the best line. i also think that she looks good in high-neck design like the one she wears in SP. She looks taller.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Mao: I wish she changes both costumes but she's most likely to stick with them

Miki: Too bad she's getting another new costume. Maybe she's going for the Magna, futuristic Cleopatra look for the LP. I like the first costume.

JoRo: I'm the minority by saying I like the Nationals version of her SP. The GP version looks plain. Maybe if it's the same type of dress at Nationals but in black, then we all can come up with a compromise. As for her S&D LP, keep it. It suits the program and her body type.

Akiko: She needs to go back to the GPF version of her WSS LP. I don't like the 4CC version at all. Heck, even the CoC/SC version with the white shirt looks better than the new one. Her Riverdance SP is fine.

Yu-Na: Hopefully she keeps those 2. It's beautiful! :love:

You think Evan is gonna change it one more time? I wasn't feeling any of his costumes this season.

Last edited:

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
CaroK: she was seen outside the Cavalli store in Milano, after Europeans, and just before flying back to L.A....I think the SP costumes it's that from Euro, but she will wear something new for LP...

ARipp42014

Medalist
CaroK: she was seen outside the Cavalli store in Milano, after Europeans, and just before flying back to L.A....I think the SP costumes it's that from Euro, but she will wear something new for LP...

Nice! Caro does have some style. Sure she'll look like a glam goddess! :)

berrycute

On the Ice
With Caro's flailing limbs and skittish skating, the goddess she most resembles is Arachne.

That's kind of a douchey thing to say...

I am looking forward to seeing what she wears! I really liked her outfits from last season, esp. that white dress for her LP. I think she should go for long sleeves again, that style really accentuates her long arms and draws attention to her (IMO) very elegant arm movements and choreographic details.