View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Torino 2006

20 11.24%
  • Salt Lake City 2002

35 19.66%
  • Nagano 1998

15 8.43%
  • Lillehammer 1994

10 5.62%
  • Albertville 1992

5 2.81%
  • Calgary 1988

19 10.67%
  • Sarajevo 1984

0 0%
  • Lake Placid 1980

0 0%
  • An ancient one

2 1.12%
  • Vancouver 2010 will be the best

72 40.45%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics?

Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics?

For me it is Nagano. I think of 1998 olympics with nostalgic feelings. The exciting ladies' fight. Fair, but I wish Kwan had won. Many enjoyable skaters did their last eligible competitions: Kuliik, Candeloro, Lu Chen, Bonaly(with her back flip in LP), Kazakova/Dimitriev, Wötzel/Steuer, Meno/Sand and Grishuk/Platov. Sadly Yagudin was ill and Stojko injured.

I don't know which one I want to choose 1994 or 2002... even with the scandal of 02 I was just so into the games that year that I just might have to go with that one...

meditate on this, I will.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Salt Lake, the best!
    Torino second.
    I havent watched any other except these two in real time.
    How do you remember 1994 Toni? I just remember images from Nagano. But i couldnt tell the difference between pairs and dance at the time.

seniorita - I was 9, it was all I watched, and I've been a fan of the sport since I was four... so I knew who was what...

and I have many of the performances on tape.

Since 4??? I envy you! First time tv broadcasted fs in greece was 1994 Olympics, and I was probably preoccupied with the barbie then.
    I wish I had seen at least Nagano as a fan back then. I remember Kulik though.

yup, saw Scott Hamilton in a disney on ice show here in Anchorage Alaska back in 89 when I was just about four years old and I was hooked. never learned to skate (I have no balance and hate falling/failing) but I've followed the sport - mainly professional vs competitive - most of my life. Got into more of the competitive side of the sport once the professional programs/events died out. I grew up in teh "golden era" of skating when it was on every night practically in the US and the worlds greatest skaters were all in their prime. (yeah I'm wearing rose colored glasses lol)

I helped with a few official websites a few years ago, as well, which really helped grow my obsession... and of course, being here and chatting with other fanatics helps (most days anyway)

I like rose coloured glasses!

Salt Lake. It makes one nostalgic to think of it.

Custom Title
    I want to say 2002 SLC, as it had some incredible performances like Yagudin's and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze's SPs. Not to mention Cohen's lovely SP. Or just cool moments like Plushenko's crazy 3A-half loop-3F combo in his LP. So many of my favourite skaters were there--Yagudin, B/S, Kwan, Slutskaya, Abt, Cohen, Plushenko with choreography and minimal flailing arms.

Unfortunately, Sarah Hughes winning with her held-up SP and blatant URs and the ridiculously contrived pairs media debacle leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Custom Title
    I voted for Vancouver

The breadth in all the disciplines is simply astonishing to me. The possibility of thrilling performances captures my heart

2006 was too rote - there were memorable things (the men's podium, Zhang's brave skate, Arakawa's beautiful performance), but overall, it's just too dull.
    2002... like evangeline, the pairs scandal leaves a bad taste in my mouth, along with a poor ice dance competition (after Anissina/Peizarat, anyway). But in terms of skates, well it's right up there.
    1998 - ehh, it's all right. Great ladies competition, but again, ice dance scandal.
    1994 too many disappointments
    1992 ditto
    1988 AWESOME - Battle of the Brians, the Carmens, Liz Manley and Midori Ito igniting the crowd, good ice dance competition (except the Duchesnays were underscored), G/G..... If I wasn't an optimist, probably the one I'd vote for.

Custom Title
    By far, 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. I can ignore the big contraversy because of Alexei Yagudin's two memorable skating.

2006 Torino, it's the only one I watched fully...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    1988!! I was able to watch both the Canadian and American coverage! And the skating was wonderful. The Brians. Petrenko. Wylie & Bowman! Kurt skating to Grand Canyon Suite! In ladies, the awesome skates of Ito, and the SP of Debi Thomas and the LP of Liz Manley. In pairs, G&G at their IMO very best! And Watson & Oppegard! Not to mention Selezneva and Makarov at their voidiest. But also the SP of Wachsman & Wagonner. In dance, the Duchesnay's wonderful Tango OSP & ground breaking Savage Rites FD. The kitchiness of Bestemianova and Bukin's Polovetsian dances FD. The wonderful ragtime skate (Elite Syncopations) of Wilson & McCall. Sadly, K&P's Olympic programs were not their best, though they finished second. They skated to muzak version of Beatles tunes.

Other than wishing some of the skaters skated a bit better than they did, I wouldn't change a thing.

Custom Title
    I voted for 1988 because the Battle of Brians, Carmens and G & G in pairs event. Ice dance does not really excite me, with the exception of the era of Torvill & Dean of course.

I voted for SLC but I am sure Vancouver will be better. Since I was too young to remember 84 and 88, I'll just state from 92 on.

92: First year I've got into figure skating, the only thing I watched was the ladies.
    94: Loved G&G winning gold, was wondering who the heck Urmanov was, bummed over T/D not winning gold, and thought the ladies was good
    98: Michelle vs. Tara, G/P vs. K/O, Ilya winning gold, Lulu's comebck, Surya's "up yours" to the judges... entertaining but hated the 12+ hour tape delay. I found out about Tara winning via SportsCenter that morning.
    02: Judging scandal aside, I loved everything about it. From Yagudin winning to A/P winning to Sasha's SP, I still remember that to this day.
    06: It was okay. Wished Sasha didn't fall on those first 2 jumps in the LP. However, the 2 biggest memories I have of those games was Babs' "Stare Of Death" after the OD and the Mens Medal Ceremony. While Stephane was crying his heart out and Jeff had that cheesy grin, Plushy showed no emotion (until the very end), like he was expecting that after finishing 2nd in SLC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast