Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics? | Golden Skate

Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics?

Which is your favorite Figure Skating Olympics?

• Torino 2006

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • Salt Lake City 2002

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • Nagano 1998

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Lillehammer 1994

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Albertville 1992

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Calgary 1988

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Sarajevo 1984

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lake Placid 1980

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An ancient one

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Vancouver 2010 will be the best

Votes: 70 40.2%

• Total voters

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
For me it is Nagano. I think of 1998 olympics with nostalgic feelings. The exciting ladies' fight. Fair, but I wish Kwan had won. Many enjoyable skaters did their last eligible competitions: Kuliik, Candeloro, Lu Chen, Bonaly(with her back flip in LP), Kazakova/Dimitriev, Wötzel/Steuer, Meno/Sand and Grishuk/Platov. Sadly Yagudin was ill and Stojko injured.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know which one I want to choose 1994 or 2002... even with the scandal of 02 I was just so into the games that year that I just might have to go with that one...

meditate on this, I will.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Salt Lake, the best!
Torino second.
I havent watched any other except these two in real time.
How do you remember 1994 Toni? I just remember images from Nagano. But i couldnt tell the difference between pairs and dance at the time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
seniorita - I was 9, it was all I watched, and I've been a fan of the sport since I was four... so I knew who was what...

and I have many of the performances on tape.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Since 4??? I envy you! First time tv broadcasted fs in greece was 1994 Olympics, and I was probably preoccupied with the barbie then.
I wish I had seen at least Nagano as a fan back then. I remember Kulik though. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yup, saw Scott Hamilton in a disney on ice show here in Anchorage Alaska back in 89 when I was just about four years old and I was hooked. never learned to skate (I have no balance and hate falling/failing) but I've followed the sport - mainly professional vs competitive - most of my life. Got into more of the competitive side of the sport once the professional programs/events died out. I grew up in teh "golden era" of skating when it was on every night practically in the US and the worlds greatest skaters were all in their prime. (yeah I'm wearing rose colored glasses lol)

I helped with a few official websites a few years ago, as well, which really helped grow my obsession... and of course, being here and chatting with other fanatics helps (most days anyway)

evangeline

Record Breaker
I want to say 2002 SLC, as it had some incredible performances like Yagudin's and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze's SPs. Not to mention Cohen's lovely SP. Or just cool moments like Plushenko's crazy 3A-half loop-3F combo in his LP. So many of my favourite skaters were there--Yagudin, B/S, Kwan, Slutskaya, Abt, Cohen, Plushenko with choreography and minimal flailing arms.

Unfortunately, Sarah Hughes winning with her held-up SP and blatant URs and the ridiculously contrived pairs media debacle leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I voted for Vancouver

The breadth in all the disciplines is simply astonishing to me. The possibility of thrilling performances captures my heart

2006 was too rote - there were memorable things (the men's podium, Zhang's brave skate, Arakawa's beautiful performance), but overall, it's just too dull.
2002... like evangeline, the pairs scandal leaves a bad taste in my mouth, along with a poor ice dance competition (after Anissina/Peizarat, anyway). But in terms of skates, well it's right up there.
1998 - ehh, it's all right. Great ladies competition, but again, ice dance scandal.
1994 too many disappointments
1992 ditto
1988 AWESOME - Battle of the Brians, the Carmens, Liz Manley and Midori Ito igniting the crowd, good ice dance competition (except the Duchesnays were underscored), G/G..... If I wasn't an optimist, probably the one I'd vote for.

jennylovskt

Medalist
By far, 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. I can ignore the big contraversy because of Alexei Yagudin's two memorable skating.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1988!! I was able to watch both the Canadian and American coverage! And the skating was wonderful. The Brians. Petrenko. Wylie & Bowman! Kurt skating to Grand Canyon Suite! In ladies, the awesome skates of Ito, and the SP of Debi Thomas and the LP of Liz Manley. In pairs, G&G at their IMO very best! And Watson & Oppegard! Not to mention Selezneva and Makarov at their voidiest. But also the SP of Wachsman & Wagonner. In dance, the Duchesnay's wonderful Tango OSP & ground breaking Savage Rites FD. The kitchiness of Bestemianova and Bukin's Polovetsian dances FD. The wonderful ragtime skate (Elite Syncopations) of Wilson & McCall. Sadly, K&P's Olympic programs were not their best, though they finished second. They skated to muzak version of Beatles tunes.

Other than wishing some of the skaters skated a bit better than they did, I wouldn't change a thing.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for 1988 because the Battle of Brians, Carmens and G & G in pairs event. Ice dance does not really excite me, with the exception of the era of Torvill & Dean of course.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I voted for SLC but I am sure Vancouver will be better. Since I was too young to remember 84 and 88, I'll just state from 92 on.

92: First year I've got into figure skating, the only thing I watched was the ladies.
94: Loved G&G winning gold, was wondering who the heck Urmanov was, bummed over T/D not winning gold, and thought the ladies was good
98: Michelle vs. Tara, G/P vs. K/O, Ilya winning gold, Lulu's comebck, Surya's "up yours" to the judges... entertaining but hated the 12+ hour tape delay. I found out about Tara winning via SportsCenter that morning.
02: Judging scandal aside, I loved everything about it. From Yagudin winning to A/P winning to Sasha's SP, I still remember that to this day.
06: It was okay. Wished Sasha didn't fall on those first 2 jumps in the LP. However, the 2 biggest memories I have of those games was Babs' "Stare Of Death" after the OD and the Mens Medal Ceremony. While Stephane was crying his heart out and Jeff had that cheesy grin, Plushy showed no emotion (until the very end), like he was expecting that after finishing 2nd in SLC.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I voted for Torino. I only started watching skating in January 1998 when I was Tara on TV before she skated at Nationals--I was addicted to skating from then on--so I have a fairly limited Olympic history.

1998: Ladies FS and exhibition. I was happy Tara won (I was 10 at the time, but I have since grown to appreciate Michelle).

2002: All of Alexei Yagudin's programs and Michelle's Fields of Gold.

2006: Shizuka's LP, Navka/Kostomanorv's FD, Barbara Fusar-Poli's death stare, Johnny's SP, Evan's huge LP comeback.

Since Vancover hasn't occurred yet, I'm going to wait until the competition is over to judge that one, but I am expecting quite a show in all the disciplines!

aurora100

Final Flight
I voted for Lillehammer 1994 even though I have watched Olympics fully since 1988 and enjoyed every skating event. Everything about 1994 is memorable to me. I loved the Norwegian sweaters, all the logos. And the voice of CBS Lundquist for skating, boy I miss that voice. The olympic venue for figure skating was so beautiful too, so clean and classy. Even now, whenever I see that image come across the TV screen I stop and look and feel fuzzy and warm all over.

Oh, and the G & G. Even though they had little mistakes in both short and long they were unbelievable. Even now, when I watch them on video it's like they were skating on God's shoulders. Their exhibition number "reverie" was like watching water move through ice, so smooth and effortless. It's the G & G that made the 1994 Olympics the one I will always remember as the best. Who would have known there would be no more G & G in short year after that.

Even though I was sad Kurt didn't win the gold or even make it on the Podium that he so deserved as multi world champions (He just never had the olympic luck). Little Michelle Kwan was in the audience as a sub in case Kerrigan couldn't skate. It still was the best Olympics ever.

lcd

Match Penalty
Will never forget, but for sad reasons:

Sapporo 1972 - Janet Lynn for how she got up from her fall and still earned a 6.0
Lake Placid 1980 - when Tai and Randy had to withdraw after the short program warm up.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I voted for SLC but I am sure Vancouver will be better. Since I was too young to remember 84 and 88, I'll just state from 92 on.

92: First year I've got into figure skating, the only thing I watched was the ladies.
94: Loved G&G winning gold, was wondering who the heck Urmanov was, bummed over T/D not winning gold, and thought the ladies was good
98: Michelle vs. Tara, G/P vs. K/O, Ilya winning gold, Lulu's comebck, Surya's "up yours" to the judges... entertaining but hated the 12+ hour tape delay. I found out about Tara winning via SportsCenter that morning.
02: Judging scandal aside, I loved everything about it. From Yagudin winning to A/P winning to Sasha's SP, I still remember that to this day.
06: It was okay. Wished Sasha didn't fall on those first 2 jumps in the LP. However, the 2 biggest memories I have of those games was Babs' "Stare Of Death" after the OD and the Mens Medal Ceremony. While Stephane was crying his heart out and Jeff had that cheesy grin, Plushy showed no emotion (until the very end), like he was expecting that after finishing 2nd in SLC.

Me too! 92 was the first winter Olympics I remember watching... Kristi Yamaguchi will always be special to me for that reason.

94 was memorable for the obvious drama but special for me especially because of Oksana Baiul and her Swan SP...

98 is the last Olympics that really lived up to my expectations as far as the ladies are concerned, though. We were promised a Michelle and Tara showdown and that is what we got. It was an amazing competition.

I'm happy for Sarah Hughes and Shiz but I was sad in '02 and '06 because of the way things went for Michelle, Irina and Sasha. To this day, it is still hard for me to believe that neither of the three won an OGM. They are my 3 favorites of the past decade.

so i picked nagano as my favorite.

(in terms of the men, 02 has my favorite gold medal winner ever and 06 was the year i fell in love with evan because of his great comeback lp. very touching.)