A new article on Yu-Na - "Keep an eye on South Korea’s Kim" (HeraldNet) | Golden Skate

A new article on Yu-Na - "Keep an eye on South Korea’s Kim" (HeraldNet)

french quarter

Rinkside
A new article on Yu-Na - "Keep an eye on South Korea’s Kim" (HeraldNet)

Keep an eye on South Korea’s Kim, Mark Starr, HeraldNet

I have already confessed my love for all those American ladies who have spun their majesty on the ice. Truthfully, though, my love for the sport transcends borders. Like many fans (and every guy I know), I fell hard for the East German star Katarina Witt in the 1980s. And the Ukrainian waif Oksana Baiul captivated me in the 1990s. Now I’ve got a feeling that we’re all destined to fall under Ms. Kim’s spell.

Let's share thoughts.

miki88

Medalist
She did lose once (2008 GPF to Mao) in two years. :) Except for the last paragraph, the article was not so much on Kim as how figure skating has shifted from US to Asia.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Kim hasn’t lost a competition in almost two years and she holds every woman’s record under the scoring system implemented in 2004. Kim brings to the ice what is, arguably, an unprecedented combination of athleticism — she has landed three different triple-triple jump combinations

Since she lost to Mao at the GPF last year, I can't call that two years. A year and 2 months.

Has Kim landed three 3/3's?
3lutz/3toe
3 flip/toe

Where is the third?

csunny7

Rinkside
Nice Article. Mark is a national sports correspondent and has attended 10 Olympics. He writes with insight. It is one of the most interesting articles I've ever read.

Figure88

On the Ice
Nice. It's really encouraging to see non-Asian fans embrace Yuna in the same way as her Asian ones. I do like the quote where she's compared in the same light as Katarina Witt and Oksana Baiul. I see lot of similarities in the skating styles of Yuna and Witt as well --such as in their programs Danse Macabre and Carmen.

Last edited:

dorothea

Rinkside
She did 3T/ 3T at 2005 World Junior Figure Skating Championship.

Yes, Yuna did this combo beautifully even when she was a Junior! It was so huge and high. I remember I was so pleasantly surprized to watch such a great talent :)

Last edited: