At these Olympics, Canada wants to win, not just host - USA Today | Golden Skate

At these Olympics, Canada wants to win, not just host - USA Today

i love to skate

Medalist
Friendly Warning: This article is about Canada, Canadian athletes, and all the good things Canada possesses. Therefore, if you are tired of "evil Canada" :p or everything about Canada - you should divert your attention elsewhere.

I found this article this morning - and I thought it was really well written, and funny! It is interesting to read an American's paper take on Canada and the Games as well.

Nine in 10 Canadians believe they live in the best country in the world, according to a poll last summer for The Globe and Mailand CTV. :thumbsup:

Canadians understand funny. Once, when a tape recording revealed Richard Nixon had called him that earthier version of icehole, Trudeau quipped, "I've been called worse things by better people." :laugh:

Will soon have no choice but to fix their gaze on the True North, strong and free. Oh, and if you don't know that last phrase, get used to it. You just might be hearing O Canada quite often in the weeks ahead. :clap:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-01-29-canada-host-win_N.htm

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thanks! I just hope that the athletes won't have too too much pressure that affects their performances.

Quck question:

In what winter sports, Canadians have the best chance to win gold? I know in figure skating, the best chance is in dance. But I don't know other sports.

i love to skate

Medalist
Thanks! I just hope that the athletes won't have too too much pressure that affects their performances.

Quck question:

In what winter sports, Canadians have the best chance to win gold? I know in figure skating, the best chance is in dance. But I don't know other sports.

Our best chances for gold come in men and women's hockey, speed skating (long and short track), freestyle skiing, and curling. :biggrin:

As for the pressure it is going to be huge but I think the athletes have accepted that. The governing bodies are doing what they can to help with it as well. Skate Canada. for example, has rented apartments away from the village for the skaters to stay in so they can get away from everything if they need too.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Women's hokey?:eek: Talk about go macho.:laugh:

Calgary Flame was very good, but that was long long time ago. Then I lost track of it. Didn't someone say that Canadian hokey wasn't very good this year? Yes, curling.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
"The language of an aggressive approach to victory has not been a part of our lexicon," Rudge says. "For many years, we were satisfied as a country to send people to the Games who had skill. We supported them at a minimum level. We were satisfied that we were being nice people, competing at a high level, and if we got a personal best, that was just great.

This hits right on the money. How many times have they interviewed the athlete afterwards and they've said, "I'm just so happy to be here"? You never hear an American or Chinese or Russian athlete say that; they go to win. I don't want Canada to become a nation where 2nd is the first loser but I do want to hear the athletes saying, "I'm going for it. If I do my best and don't come up with the medal, I'll be fine with that, but I'm going for it." Go for it, Kids! Geez, you've worked way too hard for this! I think it's why our kids underperform at Olympics time; they seem to want it but not in that driven, "I'm going to get it." Is it because we're too Canadian? Because we don't want to come accross as arrogant or unsportsmanlike? Probably, a little bit. In Salt Lake, we had some athletes saying that they wanted it. It was refreshing and we had some golds to show for it. I hope our athletes really go for it in these games and, if they do that and don't "own the podium" I'll still support them 100%.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Women's hokey?:eek: Talk about go macho.:laugh:

Calgary Flame was very good, but that was long long time ago. Then I lost track of it. Didn't someone say that Canadian hokey wasn't very good this year? Yes, curling.

Canadian hockey teams are ALWAYS good. They don't choose one NHL team from Canada to represent the country. It's an all-star team essentially made up of Canadian NHL players, and trust me, there are a lot to choose from!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They will always be threats: the depth in Canada is quite amazing for hockey. Will they translate? Well.... see Torino for you answer. Or see the fact that it took fifty years between 1952 and 2002 for Canada to add another gold medal in men's hockey. Look at the amazing Russian team, and the strong team from the US.

skatingbc

Final Flight
They will always be threats: the depth in Canada is quite amazing for hockey. Will they translate? Well.... see Torino for you answer. Or see the fact that it took fifty years between 1952 and 2002 for Canada to add another gold medal in men's hockey. Look at the amazing Russian team, and the strong team from the US.

That's definitely true. The question of whether Canada was good at hockey though is kind of like asking if Japan had good ladies figure skaters!!! Canada is always a threat in hockey!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Speed skating, skiing, snow boarding, hockey - just about everything that involves ice and snow....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh yea, since BC taxpayers are footing the bill we pretty much expect to bring home the gold (especially in hockey). Anything less, there may be a riot on the streets of Vancouver....