About Tamar Katz | Golden Skate

About Tamar Katz

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, this is not unique to Israel. Britain also has some fairly strict rules regarding who gets to go to the Olympics. I think what it all comes down to is money. The Olympic committee doesn't want to spend its money on what it sees as a prospect-less skater. In Tamar's case, though, it's particularly ironic since I'm assuming her choice to represent Israel rather than the US is due to a much easier competition for those international spots.

Vlad

On the Ice
Eh,unfortunately you're right.But sometimes it's so sad to see what officials make with skating

Wicked

Final Flight
Israel wants a contender and wants her to be ready for 2014. However, it would probably help her to be ready for 2014 to get an Olympic experience now. It's a shame.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Tamar said it wasn't about money. She even said she'd pay her own way if the IOC let her compete.
I understand that Tamar didn't meet all of Israel's requirements and they want to send skaters that are real "contenders", but at the same time, it isn't as though she is one of those skaters who goes to the Olympics but can hardly do a double axel, so she won't be placing last or "embarrassing" her country.

Tamar said:
"Israel has an Internal standard (not that of the Olympic games). I must finished in the top 12-14 at the European Championships. Israel has said several times that they do not want to send "tourists" to the Olympic games. They want to send people who will bring back medals. Well, I was not intending on going as a tourist and while I might not have won a medal, I think it is important for the world to see Israel compete. That is how a sport grows, through exposure."

I just think Israel's attitude here is kind of opposite of what the olympic spirit is all about. Tamar has obviously worked very hard for a long time and just wants to represent her country. I'm sure there are more internal politics on this situation and that it may set a dangerous precedent by sending her even though she did not meet all of Israel's requirements, but honestly, is there any real harm in sending her?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, this is not unique to Israel. Britain also has some fairly strict rules regarding who gets to go to the Olympics. I think what it all comes down to is money. The Olympic committee doesn't want to spend its money on what it sees as a prospect-less skater. In Tamar's case, though, it's particularly ironic since I'm assuming her choice to represent Israel rather than the US is due to a much easier competition for those international spots.

I'm very pleased to say that this year the British Olympic Committee has been guided by our national federation, and set targets that were more or less achieveable provided the skaters qualified the places for the Olympics via the ISU rules. The only ones that were up in the air were the second dance team but they were given the opportunity to get the relevant score at nationals. So we have the biggest team in a long time going to the Olympics with one lady (Jenna McKorkell), one pair (Kemp&King), and two dance couples (Kerrs and Coombes&Buckland). Matthew Parr didn't qualify at worlds and was I think 3 spots too low at Nebelhorne to qualify.

Maybe, just maybe, NISA are starting to learn from their mistakes.

Ant