Eurosport Olympics Coverage | Golden Skate

Eurosport Olympics Coverage

Trewyn

Medalist
Staying awake is going to be so hard! I'd have to completely live on Vancouver time if I want to watch everything. Right now I know I'll stay awake for Men's and Ladies' LPs. I'll see how I feel about the SPs (right now I'm inclined to watch them too!) and maybe the Ice Dance final, *maybe* Pairs final...

Kinga

Medalist
I still prefer Vancouver time than for example Asian time zone. In case of Vancouver I can just watch at night and still go to work (ok, looking like zombi, but still). But Asia time, means work time, so that's the worst case scenario for me :).

schiele

Final Flight
I still prefer Vancouver time than for example Asian time zone. In case of Vancouver I can just watch at night and still go to work (ok, looking like zombi, but still). But Asia time, means work time, so that's the worst case scenario for me :).

Well I will try the zombie approach myself but I am really pessimistis about the next looong work day.. :laugh:

Trewyn

Medalist
^^You're right; I'm still a student, but I won't be next season... My parents are slowly trying to break it to me that I won't be able to do what I want (like go to Paris for TEB, I'd have to take a Friday off and apparantly that's extremely hard when the first year you work). Right now I have the mentality that if I want to watch skating, I'll make it so that I *can* watch skating (unless I have like exams and classes with mandatory presence). I guess for us Europeans having skating in the middle of the night isn't too bad; since it's entirely up to us if we want to put ourselves through the pains of lack of sleep.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The problem for me is that the skating events all start in the afternoon (Vancouver time) rather than in the evening as is customary. I assume this is so people on the east coast of Canada and the US will be able to watch easily, but it does make things harder for those of us in European time zones. A later start means that I can get up early and watch everything before going to work (I can be a bit late if needed). Events that start shortly after noon also work, because I can go to sleep a bit later. As it is, however, the hours are just awful - neither here nor there, and almost none of it on the weekend, when it might be easier to stay up all night. :scowl:

Hey, the regular smilies are back! Yay! :clap:

seniorita

Record Breaker
ah I miss torino a little bit now I read this, no hour worries :rolleye:

I wanted to ask somewhere and i dont know which topic, can someone make a list what else competition of another sport is a must-see apart from fs because i know almost nothing except for skating and maybe a little speed skating and alpine, as we have no tradition in winter sports.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I'll be able to see everything live and not worrying about waking up early to go to school because this year's Olympics and Carnival holidays are at the same days, so I'll be at home!

:rock:

By the way, what timezone is that schedule from Eurosport?

seniorita

Record Breaker
We should watch the Olys together K!:p
for the rest of sports i kinda feel like my friends feel when watching fs..they know one two popular names, no rules and just watch. Thats why i will root for God Apollo, he is the only one I know and I m a fan since Torino.:)
Ice hockey I have watched live only to make me feel as dump as ever. I dont know any rule, i just watch. Too noisy.
Curling I might try this time to see whats all about.
I was thinking if there was something i should defenetly not lose.

By the way, what timezone is that schedule from Eurosport?

i think it is central european or else "The zombie zone":unsure:

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
The problem for me is that the skating events all start in the afternoon (Vancouver time) rather than in the evening as is customary. I assume this is so people on the east coast of Canada and the US will be able to watch easily, but it does make things harder for those of us in European time zones. A later start means that I can get up early and watch everything before going to work (I can be a bit late if needed). Events that start shortly after noon also work, because I can go to sleep a bit later. As it is, however, the hours are just awful - neither here nor there, and almost none of it on the weekend, when it might be easier to stay up all night. :scowl:
B, you voiced my thoughts.. I was praying for evening starts and i accepted being extra grumpy by getting up earlier but no luck. I'm definetely taking time off from work on Friday at least to see men's live and have a definete heart attack.. If I'm not back the next day, you'll know why. :laugh: (either that or cos our little prince had the most disastrous skate of hisc life and I won't recover for a long while..)

Internet Live Stream ;)
Thanks Plushyta.. This works without registration or region lock, right?
Now I can watch the afternoon repeats (16.30-18.00) at work, hehehehe.. I hope noone from work is reading this cos I keep making too many jokes. :laugh:

Kinga

Medalist
I wanted to ask somewhere and i dont know which topic, can someone make a list what else competition of another sport is a must-see apart from fs because i know almost nothing except for skating and maybe a little speed skating and alpine, as we have no tradition in winter sports.

I could recommend biathlon :). It is super nice to watch. And ski jumping is ok too :)

beep_beep

Medalist
The time frame is fab for me: work all day (on this horribly hot humid summer we're having here), happy hour with friends and then go home to catch skating at 10-11pm. I'll even get the pairs SP on my birthday!!! Not to mention a distraction from the carnival festivities (I hate carnival...)

Curling !!

seniorita

Record Breaker
beep beep where are you lost!!!??? I missed you! I remember it isyour birthday, remember we had this discussion months ago??? :)
Ok i ll watch curling and biathlon if you tell me which day, which athlete, what to take notice!

beep_beep

Medalist
beep beep where are you lost!!!??? I missed you! I remember it isyour birthday, remember we had this discussion months ago??? :)
Ok i ll watch curling and biathlon if you tell me which day, which athlete, what to take notice!

I wasn't lost, just lurking :biggrin:

And you should watch for Sweden's women curling team. They won gold last olympics, and, before that, they did this: Hammerfall - Hearts of Fire

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I recommend taking notice of the German women and Ole Einar Björndalen, he is on his way to Biathlon immortality :laugh:

And also the swedish women Helena and mama Anna-Carin(who has one gold from Torino). Ole Einar, Norway, of course, he won everything already in SLC. This is his fourth olympics.

There are many disciplines in biathlon, but if you watch one, watch a relay: Four men/women in each nation's team. Choose a team to cheer for! The teams start at the same time, the best ranked teams in the first row. Every man/woman shoots twice and skiis 7.5 km/6.0 km. The relays are often exciting, while the standings shift a lot during the competition.

The best bets are Norway, Russia, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Ukraine, France, Belarus and newbie US. For sure I forgot some nations….?

Men's relay : February 26, 2010, 11.30 (20.30 CET)

Women's relay: February 23, 2010, 11.30 (20.30 CET)

Freestyle skiing is also fun to watch: skicross, aerial and moguls. Mogules with jump tricks reminds me of FS with tech and performance judging (counting 75%). The time it takes to run down the track counts for 25 %. Well, this system is much more complicated than COP :p

MagicFairy

On the Ice
According to the Eurosport website, the TV program from 16.02 will be:

01:45 Pairs Free program LIVE

02:30 Speed Skating LIVE

03:00 Speed Skating LIVE

03:45 Pairs Free program LIVE

Does that mean, that we will miss so much from the Pairs FP? :cry:

I am so depressed now :(

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm on the Eurosport mailing list for figure skating events and my e-mail stated coverage from 2 til 3.45 am. What time does the event begin? We might miss Shen/Zhao live...