Request for help with the name of a couple of skating techniques... | Golden Skate

Request for help with the name of a couple of skating techniques...

yellowstone

Spectator
Hello

My son is a young hockey player and his hockey coach taught him the skating technique (commonly used by figure skaters) whereby the skater skates with the leading skate pointing forward and the trailing skate pointing backwards. What is the name of this move?

Also there is a skating technique that has become popular in move advanced hockey players that has been called (by some) "the shuffle stride". Is there a name for this move in figure skating? The move involves skating quickly forward and quickly shifting the weight from side to side using cuts with just the heals of the blades.

Thanks... Pete

yellowstone

Spectator
When a hockey player uses this move he is leaning forward a little and traveling in an arc with the leading skate pointing forward and the trailing skate pointing backwards.

i love to skate

Medalist
When a hockey player uses this move he is leaning forward a little and traveling in an arc with the leading skate pointing forward and the trailing skate pointing backwards.

It sounds like you are likely talking about an inside ina bauer.

Here are a couple pictures:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...vier_Schoenfelder_Lift_2_-_2007_Europeans.jpg

http://www.theicequeens.com/wp-content/uploads/weir_2008sa_gala_by_carmichael.jpg

As for your second question regarding the technique, could you provide a better explanation of what you mean by using the heels of the blade? Hopefully I can help :)

yellowstone

Spectator
Yes, that's the move... you call an "Inside Ina Bauer" ... thanks Spun Silver and rink rat.

The second move starts with the player gaining top speed as he carries the puck towards the net. He then spreads his legs wide and starts to wiggle left and then right by just using the inside edges of the heals of his skates and finally he makes a decisive move one way or the other again using the inside edges of the heals of the skates.

I'll see if I can find a youtube video of this technique.

i love to skate

Medalist
Yes, that's the move... you call an "Inside Ina Bauer" ... thanks Spun Silver and rink rat.

The second move starts with the player gaining top speed as he carries the puck towards the net. He then spreads his legs wide and starts to wiggle left and then right by just using the inside edges of the heals of his skates and finally he makes a decisive move one way or the other again using the inside edges of the heals of the skates.

I'll see if I can find a youtube video of this technique.

Glad you figured out the first one. The move is just called an "Ina Bauer" - but there are inside and outside ina bauers. To distinuish the difference it just depends on what edge your leading foot is on. So the pictures I gave you are on the inside edge and this one is an example of an outside edge:
http://img140.imageshack.us/i/1598xg.jpg/

Ah, yes I understand what you are talking about now. There really isn't a term for that in figure skating - it's basically just maintaining control on your inside edges.

Anyways, hopefully you got the answers you were looking for :yes:

jjane45

On the Ice
I've seen a lot of inside spread eagle from hockey players but not an ina bauer of any kind.
Are the skates on the same line / arc or a different one? Are both knees bent to the same degree?
Knees are bent/extended similarly and skates travel on the same arc for spread eagles.

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
The other figure skating move that seems to fit the description is the spread eagle.
Here is an outside spread eagle:
boitano.jpg

and here is an inside spread eagle:
spread_eagle_inside.jpg

You can go from an outside spread eagle back to an inside back to an outside by changing the lean of your hips and torso.

yellowstone

Spectator
Yes the skates are in the same line... so it's called an "inside spread eagle".

Thanks jjane and vlaurend.

I guess we'll stick with the "shuffle stride" as the name for the second move... that's what Sean Skinner calls it (Sean is a hockey instructor)

Pete

jjane45

On the Ice
How did your hockey instructor call the spread eagle move? :)
Is there an emphasis to straighten the knees completely?
I believe they rather bend the knees a lot in hockey?

yellowstone

Spectator
Here's a short youtube video that just shows the final part of the "shuffle stride" where the skater plants his heel hard for the decisive move. Imagine that the skater went into this wide stance position a little sooner and then wiggled back and forth deceptively as he dug in his alternating heels slightly and then finished with the move shown on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuj2d7t29I

I'm searching for what the figure skating world calls the wide stance wiggling part of this technique and so far it looks to have no name just an edge control skating technique.

Thanks

i love to skate

Medalist
Here's a short youtube video that just shows the final part of the "shuffle stride" where the skater plants his heel hard for the decisive move. Imagine that the skater went into this wide stance position a little sooner and then wiggled back and forth deceptively as he dug in his alternating heels slightly and then finished with the move shown on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuj2d7t29I

I'm searching for what the figure skating world calls the wide stance wiggling part of this technique and so far it looks to have no name just an edge control skating technique.

Thanks

Thanks for the video! There is no name for that in figure skating. Figure skating blades are longer than hockey blades and extend about an inch to and inch and half past the heel of the boot (unless you are an ice dancer). If a skater was to put their blade in the ice like that all it would do is carve up the ice - so there wouldn't be much use for it.

yellowstone

Spectator
Thanks again "love to skate".

I'm going with "shuffle stride" with a "heel turn".

BTW, our hockey coach didn't have a name for the "spread eagle" and that's why I asked... I also let him know of your answer.

So I'm gone for now unless our hockey coach comes up with another technique that he has no name for.

Pete