Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VANOC has warped view of Olympic medals

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar

Exclamation VANOC has warped view of Olympic medals

Oh dear, either some intern left the stash of medals on the dashboard, or perhaps a herd of moose trampled on them:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...rB2jg/610x.jpg

And why are they presented with broccoli? Befuddling.

VANOC's back-peddling excuse is that those shapes "represent the West Coast landscape of mountains and waves and drifting snow". Yeah, those features are so unique and representative of the area. You forgot to take them out of the dryer, admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Oh dear, either some intern left the stash of medals on the dashboard, or perhaps a herd of moose trampled on them:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...rB2jg/610x.jpg

And why are they presented with broccoli? Befuddling.

VANOC's back-peddling excuse is that those shapes "represent the West Coast landscape of mountains and waves and drifting snow". Yeah, those features are so unique and representative of the area. You forgot to take them out of the dryer, admit it.
    The Medal design was revealed quite a long time ago. As for the design, it isn't backpedaling as they were designed by a Native artist. She has a whole story on why she choose each element of the design. This video explains it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsX...eature=related

I think they are stunning and her explanation on the design is beautiful.

The whole shebang was presented last week, at some sort of grand unveiling:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...k627K/610x.jpg

Finally, a slice of Canadian culture we can all recognize: mounties. And the medal looks even more like a bent can lid there.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    The whole shebang was presented last week, at some sort of grand unveiling:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...k627K/610x.jpg

Finally, a slice of Canadian culture we can all recognize: mounties. And the medal looks even more like a bent can lid there.
    Yes, that was when they unveiled the podiums and what not. The medal design was released and presented in October.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Yes, that was when they unveiled the podiums and what not. The medal design was released and presented in October.
    They had all that time and still didn't iron out the kinks?

Some other pics:
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3

Custom Title
    The idea, all the medals are slightly different makes them unique, personal like a winning performance.
    Great, and fits to the Olympic spirit.
    A piece of art.

While I am disappointed with the way VANOC is representing Canada through many of its symbols for the games, the medals are one of the things I actually think are okay. The broccoli, the medal presentation outfits, the "Quatchi" mascot, etc., etc., are terrible. We have a lot of family out Vancouver way and they feel that most of the symbols of the games don't represent BC or Vancouver at all. I am expecting the Opening Ceremonies to be the same and for most Canadians, and even BC residents, to feel that it didn't represent them at all. At this point, I'm resigned to it.
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 02-03-2010 at 04:40 PM.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I had only seen the front on picture that make them appear round and pretty, I had no idea they were all warped and bent. YUCK! They look terrible. I like the patterns, not the shape of the medals themselves though!

Good lord, this picture makes the medals look even worse. It's like The Persistence of Medals

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Our Winter games here in BC are supposed to be "green" and VANOC is aiming for the "greenest" Olympics ever - that is why the bosquets presented to the skaters look like broccoli. We do have beautiful flowers here and it is one of the warmest winters on record so I don't know why we are not taking advantage of it. I guess it's the VANOC committee, but then again they chose
    Quatchi, Miga and Sumi - so go figure. The medals are not the olnly warped thing about these games....

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertroad View Post
    good lord, this picture makes the medals look even worse. It's like the persistence of medals
    lol!

Rinkside
    Are they serious ? those medals look badly damaged

But i like the broccoli idea (carrrots would have been more colourfull , but ...), at least a usefull bouquet
    Last edited by nolwenn; 02-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I personally think the Vancouver medals are pretty. The two-toned designs + the different angles off the warped shape create a triple variance in shine. (This probably sounds like a hair-coloring or Pantene ad.) And the warping is regular, not random! I don't get the broccoli flowers, but the medals are lovely.

The most beautiful medals I think I've seen are from the Sydney Summer Olympics, I think.

I still find DesertRoad's comments amusing, though.

So far, I've also really enjoyed all the Canadian symbology. While I'm not Canadian, Im from Michigan and have hopped cross the border a couple times, and I loove how the presentation outfits are so real, and everything so unique. Unless you want to go Native American, which although Vancouver and Canada is that, it'd be hard to pick presentation costumes that truly reflect Canada...so the modernity of the choice is pretty interesting to me.

And, my personal favorite medals were Nagano and Beijing =]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast