VANOC has warped view of Olympic medals | Golden Skate

VANOC has warped view of Olympic medals

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Oh dear, either some intern left the stash of medals on the dashboard, or perhaps a herd of moose trampled on them:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gLO99agrB2jg/610x.jpg

And why are they presented with broccoli? Befuddling.

VANOC's back-peddling excuse is that those shapes "represent the West Coast landscape of mountains and waves and drifting snow". Yeah, those features are so unique and representative of the area. You forgot to take them out of the dryer, admit it.

i love to skate

Medalist
Oh dear, either some intern left the stash of medals on the dashboard, or perhaps a herd of moose trampled on them:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gLO99agrB2jg/610x.jpg

And why are they presented with broccoli? Befuddling.

VANOC's back-peddling excuse is that those shapes "represent the West Coast landscape of mountains and waves and drifting snow". Yeah, those features are so unique and representative of the area. You forgot to take them out of the dryer, admit it.

The Medal design was revealed quite a long time ago. As for the design, it isn't backpedaling as they were designed by a Native artist. She has a whole story on why she choose each element of the design. This video explains it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQsXls7m0o&feature=related

I think they are stunning and her explanation on the design is beautiful.

Big Deal

Final Flight
The idea, all the medals are slightly different makes them unique, personal like a winning performance.
Great, and fits to the Olympic spirit.
A piece of art.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
While I am disappointed with the way VANOC is representing Canada through many of its symbols for the games, the medals are one of the things I actually think are okay. The broccoli, the medal presentation outfits, the "Quatchi" mascot, etc., etc., are terrible. We have a lot of family out Vancouver way and they feel that most of the symbols of the games don't represent BC or Vancouver at all. I am expecting the Opening Ceremonies to be the same and for most Canadians, and even BC residents, to feel that it didn't represent them at all. At this point, I'm resigned to it.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
I had only seen the front on picture that make them appear round and pretty, I had no idea they were all warped and bent. YUCK! They look terrible. I like the patterns, not the shape of the medals themselves though! :disagree:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Our Winter games here in BC are supposed to be "green" and VANOC is aiming for the "greenest" Olympics ever - that is why the bosquets presented to the skaters look like broccoli. We do have beautiful flowers here and it is one of the warmest winters on record so I don't know why we are not taking advantage of it. I guess it's the VANOC committee, but then again they chose
Quatchi, Miga and Sumi - so go figure. The medals are not the olnly warped thing about these games....

nolwenn

Rinkside
Are they serious ? those medals look badly damaged

But i like the broccoli idea (carrrots would have been more colourfull , but ...), at least a usefull bouquet

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
I personally think the Vancouver medals are pretty. The two-toned designs + the different angles off the warped shape create a triple variance in shine. (This probably sounds like a hair-coloring or Pantene ad.) And the warping is regular, not random! :) I don't get the broccoli flowers, but the medals are lovely.

The most beautiful medals I think I've seen are from the Sydney Summer Olympics, I think.

I still find DesertRoad's comments amusing, though. :biggrin:

pista04

On the Ice
So far, I've also really enjoyed all the Canadian symbology. While I'm not Canadian, Im from Michigan and have hopped cross the border a couple times, and I loove how the presentation outfits are so real, and everything so unique. Unless you want to go Native American, which although Vancouver and Canada is that, it'd be hard to pick presentation costumes that truly reflect Canada...so the modernity of the choice is pretty interesting to me.

And, my personal favorite medals were Nagano and Beijing =]

i love to skate

Medalist
While I am disappointed with the way VANOC is representing Canada through many of its symbols for the games, the medals are one of the things I actually think are okay. The broccoli, the medal presentation outfits, the "Quatchi" mascot, etc., etc., are terrible. We have a lot of family out Vancouver way and they feel that most of the symbols of the games don't represent BC or Vancouver at all. I am expecting the Opening Ceremonies to be the same and for most Canadians, and even BC residents, to feel that it didn't represent them at all. At this point, I'm resigned to it.

You don't like the medal presentation outfits?? I LOVE them - maybe this has something to do with the fact that I adore Aritzia :p! I think they are fun, young, trendy, and totally represent the Vancouver lifestyle. Also, I like that they were designed by a Vancouver born company. I found these pictures on the Arizia site:
http://www.aritzia.com/style/lookbook/2010-olympic-costumes

I want that sweater. :biggrin:

Last edited: