Seeking Music Advice - Adult Program | Golden Skate

Seeking Music Advice - Adult Program

turino

Rinkside
I've editing music for my program and have a dilemma! I need approximately 20 - 30 seconds of additional music, but am not sure where to go or what to look for. I'm currently using two themes from the Love Actually soundtrack, Glasgow (the slow piano to start) and PM's (the rising crescendos to end) Love Themes. My program, however, needs to be 3:40 and my current edit is around 3:17.

I've tried adding more music from the current tracks I'm using, but it just sounds either too repetitive or too drawn out. I'm hoping someone will be able to suggest a clip of complementary music I could use for the additional 20-30 seconds I need. I'd like to end with PM's Theme - but am flexible otherwise in terms of where to put the other piece.

I'm drawing up a blank at what would sound good with my music and thought there's enough crazy (in a good way!) skating / music fans out there to help. So any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Since 20-30 seconds is not that long, I would really recommend using something from the same soundtrack just so it matches in feel and theme. When I listened to the Love Actually theme piano theme I immediately thought of Can You Feel the Love Tonight from The Lion King.

Here is a good piano version of that son, but there are a lot of other versions with full orchestration etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-You-Feel-...W4/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1265409659&sr=1-23

As an adult, I don't know if you feel this song is too "disney." but since it was the first thing I that came to mind, I thought it was worth mentioning.

daisies

Rinkside
Is this for an adult skating program in the USFS structure (Masters Junior/Senior)? If so, 3:40 is a maximum, but there is no minimum, so 3:17 would be OK. If not, sorry I can't help with music selections!

mskater93

Record Breaker
You could try and stretch the music a bit to get it ~3:30. Love Actually is not something I am familiar with so I can't help you with that, either

turino

Rinkside
I could be wrong, but does the +/- 10 second rule apply to the USFS adult structure (like the traditional qualifying long programs)? I was under the impression my program had to be between 3:30 and 3:50. Or does it operate more like the short program rules, where you can go under by any amount as long as you don't go over?

daisies

Rinkside
As I explained above, the adult programs have no minimum times, only maximums. Therefore the +/- 10 seconds rule does not apply to any levels in adult skating.

What level do you intend to do? You say you're going for 3:40, so that tells me it's either Masters Junior or Masters Senior. And if that is the case, there is no minimum. You just can't go over 3:40. You can do anything under 3:40.

turino

Rinkside
As I explained above, the adult programs have no minimum times, only maximums. Therefore the +/- 10 seconds rule does not apply to any levels in adult skating.

What level do you intend to do? You say you're going for 3:40, so that tells me it's either Masters Junior or Masters Senior. And if that is the case, there is no minimum. You just can't go over 3:40. You can do anything under 3:40.

Yes, it is Masters Senior. Thanks for the clarification! I guess I'll have some decisions to make now.

daisies

Rinkside
There are, however, penalties if a program if a 3:40 max program is more than 10 seconds under time.
Not in adult skating. Your program can be any length under the max with NO penalty. It is purposely this way for adults.

ETA: For reference, in the 2010 USFS rulebook, see the "Note" under rule 3516. It reads, "The permissible time allowance does not apply to adult events. The times listed for these events are the maximum time allowed for the program."

Last edited:

gsrossano

Final Flight
Asked a referee for an upcoming adult competition and they agree, no time deduction for adult programs under time under 6.0. They weren't sure about under IJS (it's covered by a different set of rules).

Asked another referee, and was told under IJS all programs specified with a max time also do not get a time deduction for being under -- for SP or FS.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well alhough it is allowed to have shorter music, you might want to consider how choosing to do so could put you at a disadvantage comapred with the other skaters. If they are completing more elements in thier longer programs you start the event with a lower "base value." if you already have your planned elements set to your current music length, and feel that you are competitive with the other skaters, that is fine to. You will have the advantage of being less tired at the end of the program!