Lysacek on Jay Leno | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek on Jay Leno

FlattFan

Match Penalty
1) Jay Leno is on NBC - so are the Olympics.
2) Jay Leno is taped in Los Angeles - where Evan lives/trains. So there's no significant travel time going to/from show.

Jay Leno is an idiot. He asked stupid questions and made inane comments. It was excrutiating to watch. But Evan was a good sport about it.

What exactly do you expect Jay Leno to ask a figure skater? I thought he showed a great deal of restrain when interviewing Evan. Jay is not Scott Hamilton the same way his audience is not Sandra Bezic, they just want to see a funny interview where people are put on the spot and say something witty.

If anything, the national championship drew less viewers than Ugly Betty. No body outside of this forum care about Evan, or Mirai for that matter. :eek:hwell:

jcoates

Medalist
Leno is an odd bird, but also somewhat representative of old(er) Hollywood and his generation to some degree. He is publicly supportive of gay issues, but still makes tone-deaf remarks. He has gotten in trouble numerous times with gay groups for tasteless jokes where gays are the punch line, which went over just fine in the past, esepecially when Carson was hosting. When pressed and shown why he might have been in the wrong, he usually apologizes. Still he keeps committeing the same mistake over and over, which is likely more a reflection on is pretty limited brand of humor. On the flip side, he has repeatedly voiced his support for official gay rights causes and changes to laws. He was against Prop 8 for example.

As someone said earlier, Wanda Sykes is a good friend of his and he openly talks about her children and partner with her.

Haven't watched the interview, but based on past interviews with skaters I've seen I can imaginge he plowed the same territory where he cracked wise about costumes and music.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
If anything, the national championship drew less viewers than Ugly Betty. No body outside of this forum care about Evan, or Mirai for that matter. :eek:hwell:

Completely untrue. That week, a first run episode of Ugly Betty drew 4.532 million viewers. The primetime broadcast of the US figure skating championships drew 5.333 million viewers. And if we only consider 10-11, the timeslot that Ugly Betty occupies, the ratings for the championships goes up to 6.44 million (which is around the time when NBC started showing live skating).

Furthermore, the competition aired on a Saturday, the day with the least amount of TV viewers. Ugly Betty, on the other hand, airs on a Wednesday. As if those odds weren't enough for skating, it aired on NBC, the lowest rated network by far. Ugly Betty airs on ABC, which could be doing a lot better, but still miles ahead of NBC. Ugly Betty also airs on ABC's phenomenally successful Wednesday comedy night, with two hit shows, Cougartown and Modern Family as its lead-in (which it promptly wasted). Skating had a lead-in of... a rerun of Mercy. Not that NBC actually has any regular programming that comes close to the ratings of Cougartown and Modern Family even if they wanted to prop up skating.

The bottomline is, skating outperformed for NBC in ratings, while Ugly Betty is a loser. This is why we'll still see some skating on US TV, but Ugly Betty is getting 86ed.

jcoates

Medalist
Completely untrue. That week, a first run episode of Ugly Betty drew 4.532 million viewers. The primetime broadcast of the US figure skating championships drew 5.333 million viewers. And if we only consider 10-11, the timeslot that Ugly Betty occupies, the ratings for the championships goes up to 6.44 million (which is around the time when NBC started showing live skating).

Furthermore, the competition aired on a Saturday, the day with the least amount of TV viewers. Ugly Betty, on the other hand, airs on a Wednesday. As if those odds weren't enough for skating, it aired on NBC, the lowest rated network by far. Ugly Betty airs on ABC, which could be doing a lot better, but still miles ahead of NBC. Ugly Betty also airs on ABC's phenomenally successful Wednesday comedy night, with two hit shows, Cougartown and Modern Family as its lead-in (which it promptly wasted). Skating had a lead-in of... a rerun of Mercy. Not that NBC actually has any regular programming that comes close to the ratings of Cougartown and Modern Family even if they wanted to prop up skating.

The bottomline is, skating outperformed for NBC in ratings, while Ugly Betty is a loser. This is why we'll still see some skating on US TV, but Ugly Betty is getting 86ed.

Excellent point. I'm actually fairly encouraged by this. A strong nationals is always a good lead in to an Olympics or Worlds and this was one of the strongest nationals the US has had in some time across all disciplines. Hopefully those numbers and live coverage from Vancouver in our own hemisphere will translate to increased viewers for skating. If so, I can only hope for another strong series of events. That could really help boost skating in the States.

waxel

Final Flight
I watched it on youtube. Not much energy or personality, but Evan did just fine. His hair looked greasy though. I wish all three men a great skate!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Was wondering about Kristi sitting in the audience with Mirai - is she mentoring Mirai?

Was wondering about Kristi sitting in the audience with Mirai - is she mentoring Mirai?

My first thought when I saw 16-year-old Mirai sitting with Kristi was that maybe Kristi was prevailed upon in some sort of chaperone role. If Mirai is going to be getting her face out there at Hollywood shindigs, her parents might want some sort of adult presence. (Is this old-fashioned nowadays? :laugh: )

Anyway, I just searched the USFSA site for their mentoring program. It looks like this program is just getting started, and so far has only a few big names officially signed up (Dorothy Hamell, Paul Wylie, Tai Babilionia).

OT. I also found out that several top skaters (Naomi Nari Nam :love: for instance) are ivolved in an independent program called "Pathways Mentoring," which is a Big Brother/Big Sister kind of program for children with incarcerated parents.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Ok, I love Evans skating. I do not like Leno at all. Don't know if I would've watched it even had I known Evan was going to be on.
As for comedians, it is my attitude you can be funny without making fun of people. Find a comedian that does that and (s)he's probably funny. I don't like any of the nighttime comics. Besides, I do not like their naughty stuff.

ks777

Record Breaker

I was wondering the same thing. I have seen Mirai and Kristi hugging back stage at naitonals.. and I have heard that Kristi visited Mirai's parent's sushi restaurant and tried a Mirai roll! It seems like everyone has a mentor these days...
Ashley Wagner - Tara Lipinski
Racheal Flatt - Dorothy Hamil
Alissa Czny - Brian Boitano
Caroline Zhang - Michelle Kwan

I am pretty sure Kristi is mentoring Mirai.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's a program that Brian Boitano's been pushing for a while now with the USFSA alums - ie mentoring the up and coming skating stars - and he's gotten a lot of support.

Ozzie

Spectator
I just watched the clip - and I agree - Evan's hair looked like he hadn't washed it since Nationals. Maybe that's another one of his superstitions??

bibi24

Final Flight
wow great interview!! glad the general public has taken a great interest in Figure Skating as well.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Regarding Kristi and Mirai - Kristi had been doing a segment on Mirai for an upcoming Today Show that day - among other things they did that day was making sushi at Mirai's family's restaurant. So they spent the whole day together. I haven't heard of Kristi being Mirai's "official USFS" mentor, but I haven't heard that she isn't either. I do know that Kristi "officially" mentors Tanovich and Chau. She had them on her Disson show this year and people who went in person said she introduced them by saying she's been mentoring them.

ae9177

On the Ice
It's FUN! Evan did a great job, although Jay seems to know nothing about figure skating.

Glad to know Mirai is working with Kristi now, wonderful choice! Seems like all the elite American ladies got some awesome mentors. Wonder if Evan has one too, I hope he can get some advices from Scott Hamilton, who's the last reigning WC to win OGM.

Best of luck to both Evan and Mirai at the Olympics, go Team Carroll!

ae9177

On the Ice
By the way, while watching 4Cs last night, I noticed that in slow mode, Mao's 3A technique is almost identicle to Evan's, especially the entry part. Did she change her technique since working with Tatiana? Could that be the 'Tarasova' approach?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't love Leno but I don't get the Evan hate.

Some of the remarks against this young man seem way harsh, and out of line. Jmo.

It was nice to see Mirai and Kristi there. It reminded me of when Rosie interviewed Russian gymnast Svetlana Khorkina and her teammate Yelena Produnova was there looking on in the audience to support her friend.

I really cannot understand why Lysacek did this show now of all time? He should just be concentrating on the Olympics trainingwise and even more mentally, perhaps.

Lysacek is not the first athlete to appear on Leno, or any other talk show before the Olympics. Cohen and Kwan have done it, so have gymnasts, and other Olympians.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
I snort-laughed at Evan's comment after showing his pouffy sleeved photo...

"I'm never getting laid again."

And his urinal and seat anecdotes were pretty fun as well. Other than that it was a bit dull, and I wish he hadn't tried to gel his hair so much in a reverse There's Something About Mary style, but the getting laid, urinal and seat comments madethe interview to me, showing his personality.

In fact the "getting laid" line was so clever it made me think that the Leno people had given it to him in preparation for the show. The other funny thing was NBC trying to make the point that Lysacek does not go in for outlandish costumes, but here he is in a colorful shirt six years ago, ha ha. ("My coach maid me wear it.") They wouldn't have had to go back any further than the Tarasova tux he wore last year to get a much bigger laugh.) :)