Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek on Jay Leno

^^ Wanda Sykes is gay and black and she is a regular on Jay's show.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I believe there have been a number of gay organizations complaining about Leno. Is he homophobic? or is it that he uses gays for laughs as one would laugh openly at black persons in years past?
    And this has to do with Evan how?

Rinkside
    Here's another link - scroll:

[url]http://popwatch.ew.com/[/url]

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    The ratings for this episode [URL="http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/05/tv-ratings-abc-edges-cbs-fox-mentalist-community-parks-office-30-rock-vampire-diaries-rise/41146"]tanked[/URL]. It tied for Leno's lowest rating ever on a Thursday. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    The ratings for this episode [URL="http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/05/tv-ratings-abc-edges-cbs-fox-mentalist-community-parks-office-30-rock-vampire-diaries-rise/41146"]tanked[/URL]. It tied for Leno's lowest rating ever on a Thursday. Ha!
    I guess that boycott by Johnny's Angels paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by ilsalund View Post
    Here's another link - scroll:

[url]http://popwatch.ew.com/[/url]
    Emma Watson was the highest-paid acrtress of 2009?!
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-05-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Ja. A little something called Harry Potter helped pad her account.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt View Post
    1) Jay Leno is on NBC - so are the Olympics.
    2) Jay Leno is taped in Los Angeles - where Evan lives/trains. So there's no significant travel time going to/from show.

Jay Leno is an idiot. He asked stupid questions and made inane comments. It was excrutiating to watch. But Evan was a good sport about it.
    What exactly do you expect Jay Leno to ask a figure skater? I thought he showed a great deal of restrain when interviewing Evan. Jay is not Scott Hamilton the same way his audience is not Sandra Bezic, they just want to see a funny interview where people are put on the spot and say something witty.

If anything, the national championship drew less viewers than Ugly Betty. No body outside of this forum care about Evan, or Mirai for that matter.

Custom Title
    Leno is an odd bird, but also somewhat representative of old(er) Hollywood and his generation to some degree. He is publicly supportive of gay issues, but still makes tone-deaf remarks. He has gotten in trouble numerous times with gay groups for tasteless jokes where gays are the punch line, which went over just fine in the past, esepecially when Carson was hosting. When pressed and shown why he might have been in the wrong, he usually apologizes. Still he keeps committeing the same mistake over and over, which is likely more a reflection on is pretty limited brand of humor. On the flip side, he has repeatedly voiced his support for official gay rights causes and changes to laws. He was against Prop 8 for example.

As someone said earlier, Wanda Sykes is a good friend of his and he openly talks about her children and partner with her.

Haven't watched the interview, but based on past interviews with skaters I've seen I can imaginge he plowed the same territory where he cracked wise about costumes and music.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If anything, the national championship drew less viewers than Ugly Betty. No body outside of this forum care about Evan, or Mirai for that matter.
    Completely untrue. That week, a first run episode of Ugly Betty drew 4.532 million viewers. The primetime broadcast of the US figure skating championships drew 5.333 million viewers. And if we only consider 10-11, the timeslot that Ugly Betty occupies, the ratings for the championships goes up to 6.44 million (which is around the time when NBC started showing live skating).

Furthermore, the competition aired on a Saturday, the day with the least amount of TV viewers. Ugly Betty, on the other hand, airs on a Wednesday. As if those odds weren't enough for skating, it aired on NBC, the lowest rated network by far. Ugly Betty airs on ABC, which could be doing a lot better, but still miles ahead of NBC. Ugly Betty also airs on ABC's phenomenally successful Wednesday comedy night, with two hit shows, Cougartown and Modern Family as its lead-in (which it promptly wasted). Skating had a lead-in of... a rerun of Mercy. Not that NBC actually has any regular programming that comes close to the ratings of Cougartown and Modern Family even if they wanted to prop up skating.

The bottomline is, skating outperformed for NBC in ratings, while Ugly Betty is a loser. This is why we'll still see some skating on US TV, but Ugly Betty is getting 86ed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Completely untrue. That week, a first run episode of Ugly Betty drew 4.532 million viewers. The primetime broadcast of the US figure skating championships drew 5.333 million viewers. And if we only consider 10-11, the timeslot that Ugly Betty occupies, the ratings for the championships goes up to 6.44 million (which is around the time when NBC started showing live skating).

Furthermore, the competition aired on a Saturday, the day with the least amount of TV viewers. Ugly Betty, on the other hand, airs on a Wednesday. As if those odds weren't enough for skating, it aired on NBC, the lowest rated network by far. Ugly Betty airs on ABC, which could be doing a lot better, but still miles ahead of NBC. Ugly Betty also airs on ABC's phenomenally successful Wednesday comedy night, with two hit shows, Cougartown and Modern Family as its lead-in (which it promptly wasted). Skating had a lead-in of... a rerun of Mercy. Not that NBC actually has any regular programming that comes close to the ratings of Cougartown and Modern Family even if they wanted to prop up skating.

The bottomline is, skating outperformed for NBC in ratings, while Ugly Betty is a loser. This is why we'll still see some skating on US TV, but Ugly Betty is getting 86ed.
    Excellent point. I'm actually fairly encouraged by this. A strong nationals is always a good lead in to an Olympics or Worlds and this was one of the strongest nationals the US has had in some time across all disciplines. Hopefully those numbers and live coverage from Vancouver in our own hemisphere will translate to increased viewers for skating. If so, I can only hope for another strong series of events. That could really help boost skating in the States.

Custom Title
    I watched it on youtube. Not much energy or personality, but Evan did just fine. His hair looked greasy though. I wish all three men a great skate!

Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    His hair looked greasy though.
    I didn't want to be the first to mention it...

Was wondering about Kristi sitting in the audience with Mirai - is she mentoring Mirai?

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Was wondering about Kristi sitting in the audience with Mirai - is she mentoring Mirai?
    My first thought when I saw 16-year-old Mirai sitting with Kristi was that maybe Kristi was prevailed upon in some sort of chaperone role. If Mirai is going to be getting her face out there at Hollywood shindigs, her parents might want some sort of adult presence. (Is this old-fashioned nowadays? )

Anyway, I just searched the USFSA site for their mentoring program. It looks like this program is just getting started, and so far has only a few big names officially signed up (Dorothy Hamell, Paul Wylie, Tai Babilionia).

OT. I also found out that several top skaters (Naomi Nari Nam for instance) are ivolved in an independent program called "Pathways Mentoring," which is a Big Brother/Big Sister kind of program for children with incarcerated parents.

Ok, I love Evans skating. I do not like Leno at all. Don't know if I would've watched it even had I known Evan was going to be on.
    As for comedians, it is my attitude you can be funny without making fun of people. Find a comedian that does that and (s)he's probably funny. I don't like any of the nighttime comics. Besides, I do not like their naughty stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast