Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lysacek on Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Was wondering about Kristi sitting in the audience with Mirai - is she mentoring Mirai?
    I was wondering the same thing. I have seen Mirai and Kristi hugging back stage at naitonals.. and I have heard that Kristi visited Mirai's parent's sushi restaurant and tried a Mirai roll! It seems like everyone has a mentor these days...
    Ashley Wagner - Tara Lipinski
    Racheal Flatt - Dorothy Hamil
    Alissa Czny - Brian Boitano
    Caroline Zhang - Michelle Kwan

I am pretty sure Kristi is mentoring Mirai.

it's a program that Brian Boitano's been pushing for a while now with the USFSA alums - ie mentoring the up and coming skating stars - and he's gotten a lot of support.

Rinkside
    I just watched the clip - and I agree - Evan's hair looked like he hadn't washed it since Nationals. Maybe that's another one of his superstitions??

Custom Title
    wow great interview!! glad the general public has taken a great interest in Figure Skating as well.
    Last edited by bibi24; 02-07-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Regarding Kristi and Mirai - Kristi had been doing a segment on Mirai for an upcoming Today Show that day - among other things they did that day was making sushi at Mirai's family's restaurant. So they spent the whole day together. I haven't heard of Kristi being Mirai's "official USFS" mentor, but I haven't heard that she isn't either. I do know that Kristi "officially" mentors Tanovich and Chau. She had them on her Disson show this year and people who went in person said she introduced them by saying she's been mentoring them.

Custom Title
    It's FUN! Evan did a great job, although Jay seems to know nothing about figure skating.

Glad to know Mirai is working with Kristi now, wonderful choice! Seems like all the elite American ladies got some awesome mentors. Wonder if Evan has one too, I hope he can get some advices from Scott Hamilton, who's the last reigning WC to win OGM.

Best of luck to both Evan and Mirai at the Olympics, go Team Carroll!

Custom Title
    By the way, while watching 4Cs last night, I noticed that in slow mode, Mao's 3A technique is almost identicle to Evan's, especially the entry part. Did she change her technique since working with Tatiana? Could that be the 'Tarasova' approach?

I don't love Leno but I don't get the Evan hate.

Some of the remarks against this young man seem way harsh, and out of line. Jmo.

It was nice to see Mirai and Kristi there. It reminded me of when Rosie interviewed Russian gymnast Svetlana Khorkina and her teammate Yelena Produnova was there looking on in the audience to support her friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I really cannot understand why Lysacek did this show now of all time? He should just be concentrating on the Olympics trainingwise and even more mentally, perhaps.
    Lysacek is not the first athlete to appear on Leno, or any other talk show before the Olympics. Cohen and Kwan have done it, so have gymnasts, and other Olympians.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-08-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Custom Title
    I snort-laughed at Evan's comment after showing his pouffy sleeved photo...

"I'm never getting laid again."

And his urinal and seat anecdotes were pretty fun as well. Other than that it was a bit dull, and I wish he hadn't tried to gel his hair so much in a reverse There's Something About Mary style, but the getting laid, urinal and seat comments madethe interview to me, showing his personality.

In fact the "getting laid" line was so clever it made me think that the Leno people had given it to him in preparation for the show. The other funny thing was NBC trying to make the point that Lysacek does not go in for outlandish costumes, but here he is in a colorful shirt six years ago, ha ha. ("My coach maid me wear it.") They wouldn't have had to go back any further than the Tarasova tux he wore last year to get a much bigger laugh.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3