Who will be the next Yagudin? | Golden Skate

Who will be the next Yagudin?

Taan

On the Ice
Now with Yagudin going pro i am :( sad sad sad but who can take his place in the eligible ranks?? What male skater has that rare combination of atheltics, artistry, star power and sex appeal to be "the next Yagudin"?
:confused:

i am thinking mabey jeff buttle his choreography and jumps are getting to that level mabey within a few months?

shine

Record Breaker
Why do we even want anyone to become the "next Yagudin"? :confused: And I certainly hope Jeff Buttle doesn't become a Yagudin. He's fine the way he is.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
no new yagudin's

Nah...let's keep the males the way they are. Jeffrey Buttle has this sweetness that you just want to bottle up. Kevin Van Der Perren, and Fedor Andreev could make any girl swoon. (Sadly, I find none of the current crop of US males attractive). With their style of skating, I would say Jeffrey is more reminiscent of Rudy Galindo, or even John Curry. I haven't seen Kevin or Fedor, so I don't know how they skate. I think the only skater trying to be the next Yagudin is Joubert of France.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove:

I don't think Jeff B. is anything reminiscent of Rudy Galindo, perhaps Kurt Browning...

Germanice

On the Ice
Yags is unique. This world's simply too small for another one. :D

Anke

Last edited:

dmr65

On the Ice
Plush is not the next Yags and shouldn't be seen as the next Yags.. . These two came along at the sametime with the same coach at one time, but have different styles... Plush and Yags pushed the bar higher and higher.. Now it's just Plush left from that group.. :) Plushenko personally complimented Jeff B the other day... I have not watched the young man, but Plush has good insight, so I assume he seen something in this man as a great competitor for the future.. Not rival, but competitor..

We don't need clones.. We want skaters who are individuals, who show us something different to look forward to..

Denise...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mathman said:
Plushenko is not the next Yagudin. What was I thinking of?

Mathman:)

Maybe you just meant that counting the medals Plushenko has already won and very probably will be winning in future, he will be seen as the next big champion? Plushenko will be 21 this month, so if he understands to take care of his health, there is still a lot of competitions for him left.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Bynx

On the Ice
IMO, Sandhu has the ability to surpass both!
Can he put it all together?

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I don't want another skater to be Yags, but I do want another engaging, charasmatic male skater. I find Plushy, Honda, Goebel, Weiss, etc. pretty uninteresting. Joubert has potential if he can develope his own style. Lambiel if he can develop more consistency. I like Janke, but I don't really have any hope for him. I hear Dennis Phan is interesting, but I've never seen him skate. Hopefully, someone will fill the void.

skyward

Spectator
The sport does need a couple of male skaters who can combine jumping ability, artistry, consistency and " grit" mind. Of course, Plushenko is a tremendous skater, but the rest of the field is pathetic. Are there any junior skaters ready for meteoric rise in the rankings a-la Kulik 96-98?

Lanie

On the Ice
There will never be "another Yagudin," same as there will never be "another Plushenko". I agree with skyward...compared to those two, the men's skating field is rather boring.

curious

Final Flight
plushy and alexei are in a league of their own. honda and joubert unfortunately have become yag clones.:D

carol45

Rinkside
The next Yagudin

He won't be the next Yagudin but Stephane Lambiel potentially has the whole package. He needs to be careful and get healthy but where Yagudin had his flashy footwork, Stephane has spins that make people jump out of their seats. Anybody who saw his long program in the prelims in Washington knows that.

Beyond that he has a great choreographer in Salome Brunner who was responsible for the fabulous "Chocolat" program last year. I hear she has done two more long programs - one specific to the fact that 2004 Europeans will be in Budapest.

He connects so well with his music and does a lot more than navigate between the jumps. His edges are beautiful and his extensions are just as good.

It also does not hurt that he is "drop dead gorgeous."

Finally, in terms of the jump consistency, he has been working a lot with Mishin - both in LA and Moscow.....so, I think Plushenko might be hearing footsteps.

All of figure skating desperately needs new faces - we have seen far too much of the same thing for far too long. Did anybody else notice all of the empty seats at Skate America?

Panther2000

On the Ice
This was sad news for me to hear

But, I felt it coming on after he was still having problems with his hip. Too Much too soon. & With surgery you never know how things will turn out. He can still give a killer performance. But, all those quads & triple jumps he would have to do to stay at his top level. A level only he & plushenko share. He would not be able to stay healthy. I love watching him skate. But, out of the crop today. I don't see anyone with his depth & soul. However, you never know who will turn it around. Alexie himself went from a jumper to an fullblown artist. But to answer the question. I don't want to see clones of alexie. Copies are never as good at the original. I would love to see more of the male skaters develope their artistic sides. & Come up the the level of Plushenko. Timmy, is the main person I would love to see develope artistically. Micheal Weiss( Sorry, can't stand him) Joubert i like him alot. But, he needs to be himself. Not Be alexei's clone. But, as of right now, the only male worth watching is Plushenko.

Jhar55

Medalist
There wil never be another Yag's or another anyone to take the place fo any skater place. Each new skater will bring their own special part of skating for us. Who want a cookie cutter skater, I am not saying someone might not try to be the next Yags or skater X but one is enough.:\

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Re: The next Yagudin

carol45 said:
I hear she has done two more long programs - one specific to the fact that 2004 Europeans will be in Budapest ... Finally, in terms of the jump consistency, he has been working a lot with Mishin - both in LA and Moscow.....so, I think Plushenko might be hearing footsteps.

carol45 - if what you say about Lambiel is true, I can't wait to see him this year. I think the only time I've seen him was Euro's this past year and the year before - don't remember if ABC showed him in their World's coverage. Anyway, the little that I've seen has stuck in my mind, and I look forward to watching him this year. Now, if only he'd get some coverage ...

Zanzibar

Final Flight
The next yags...

I really have to disagree, BIG TIME, on those who say Joubert is trying to clone Yagudin. One footwork sequence from one routine that is Yagudinesque hardly qualifies Brian as a skater without his own style.

There will never be another Alexei. He is Russian Enigma personified, and so uniquely gifted as a skater and performer that he is in a class with Browing and only a few select others.

In terms of the 2006 Olympics, I think it will be Joubert and Plushenko duking it out. But in some ways it will be easier on Brian the next two seasons than on Plush, as Plush has to defend the castle while Brian can just continue to move forward.

Yes, Plush "deserves" the next Olympic title for his contribution to the sport, but if deserving the gold made it happen, Kwan would have a couple by now.

Zanzibar