Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who will try a quad and land it?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Good thread!

Evan won't try them, after he fell hard at nationals and got the worst scores he got all season and knowing he won he GP Finals and Worlds quadles he won't risk it.

Plushy will do one in each program and land them.

Verner will go for them in both programs ans I preict he will land them both.

Lambiel has to land them in both programs to have shot, so he will be trying them. As to weather or not he will land them, no idea.

Jeremey will stick to the nationals layout, no quad in the SP, solo quad in the free. I predict he lands it.

I think all three Japanese men will try the quad in the free (and only in the free). I don't think Kozuka will land it, Nobu will, Dai (?) right now I am leaning towards the affirmative.

Johnny won't try one.

Joubert will land one in each program and pop the salchow into a double or a triple.

Patrick won't try one. If he is he is crazy or else crazy confident.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Who of the top ladies are doing triple-triples and triple axels?
    No one. The only female skater who could've qualified is Mao, but she's lost her triple-triple (regardless of what her fans say). If she had it, she would've done it in competition. Yu-na tried to master the 3A after losing to Mao at Junior Worlds, but Orser told her to drop it (probably because it was proving too taxing and difficult). She does, however, have the most reliable 3-3 in business. Yukari had a 3A. I'm not sure where it went. Miki does a 3-2 (but she will probably go for a 3-3 at the Olympics), and Rochette has a 3-2. Those are the top contenders. My point (and probably ImaginaryPorgue's) is that the ladies are technically underwhelming (few reliable 3-3s, no reliable 3As - Mao's are often URed - and very few 7-triple programs). Heck, the OGM favorite Kim can't do the 3loop (but apparently that's fine in the CoP system). I think this current crop of men is one of the strongest yet, while the ladies... well, let's see what happens at the Olympics. Maybe Lady Technical Luck will grace all of them (and that's my little wish).

As for the quad, I hope everyone succeeds, but my money's on Plushenko, Joubert, Verner, Lambiel and Abbott. The men's division will be the most exciting this Feb

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    No one. The only female skater who could've qualified is Mao, but she's lost her triple-triple (regardless of what her fans say). If she had it, she would've done it in competition. Yu-na tried to master the 3A after losing to Mao at Junior Worlds, but Orser told her to drop it (probably because it was proving too taxing and difficult). She does, however, have the most reliable 3-3 in business. Yukari had a 3A. I'm not sure where it went. Miki does a 3-2 (but she will probably go for a 3-3 at the Olympics), and Rochette has a 3-2. Those are the top contenders. My point (and probably ImaginaryPorgue's) is that the ladies are technically underwhelming (few reliable 3-3s, no reliable 3As - Mao's are often URed - and very few 7-triple programs). Heck, the OGM favorite Kim can't do the 3loop (but apparently that's fine in the CoP system). I think this current crop of men is one of the strongest yet, while the ladies... well, let's see what happens at the Olympics. Maybe Lady Technical Luck will grace all of them (and that's my little wish).

As for the quad, I hope everyone succeeds, but my money's on Plushenko, Joubert, Verner, Lambiel and Abbott. The men's division will be the most exciting this Feb
    Okay. I just felt the men's field a few years back was more technically advanced but maybe my perceptions are not right . About the ladies not having a 7 triple program, I think it's because there are a lot of transitions and the programs seem busier under th CoP, so I guess it's more taxing. And the jumps usually come in combinations. Let's see if Mao still leaves out her 3-3 in future seasons before making the judgment that she lost it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Mine:
    Zhenya 2 quads? No problemo. 3? He might. Will double some other jump, but it won't matter.
    It's so annoying when that happens to him, quads? Not a problem, 3ax? Can do them even in exhibition, 3sal? Not so much.

Stephane is going to do the quad no matter what. With no 3ax, a quad is the only thing that will keep in contention after the SP.

Brian will forget the 4s and try two 4t

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Let's see if Mao still leaves out her 3-3 in future seasons before making the judgment that she lost it.
    You're right. I should've included the qualifying statement "for the time being." I actually think Mao will get her 3-3 back, but just not this season. I do, however, have faith that her 3-3 will return in time for Sochi. I'm actually hoping for another Yu-na vs. Mao faceoff in Sochi, with Mao staying in the game for all four years (in the meanwhile improving artistry and every technical department) and Yu-na returning the year right before the games after a long, rejuvenating rest. But then again there are the Russian jumping beans, Murakami, Nagasu and others... Sochi will be interesting

Custom Title
    Thanks for letting me know there are more men who can do the quad. Sorry, I don't follow the men's event as much as the ladies. I just thought the quad should be a stable jump of the men by now, so I was kind of surprised to hear so many of the competitors not landing it consistently or not even attempting it. I was little exaggerating when I said they were almost at same level as the ladies . I meant in relative terms. Many of the top female contenders are doing the hardest jumps that are required of ladies (3-3, 3axel). (Although the technical difficulty hasn't matched 1992 Olympics where two women attempted triple axels in one competition). So naturally, I feel that the male contenders should also at least try the quad.
    What I have listed in my last post was just the top consistant quad jumpers in response to your previous post of asking the consistant quad jumpers. If you are talking about the quad jumpers in general, there are more than a dozen quad jumpers. Some of them are not even in the top league. Unfortunately, some of the quad jumpers are not good at any other things. Some of the top skaters are not big jumpers, such as Evan Lysacek (although, I really don't know what he is good at if you think about it), Patrick Chan, and Johnny Weir.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 02-08-2010 at 12:55 AM.

I think Evan may land it... even with the crash land and downgrade at nationals.. I think the olympics will pump him up.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I don't think Mao has "lost" the 3/3 but because her jumps are not as high as they used to be it will almost always be downgraded. She knows this and so does not bother trying it. Is she really worked on them, she could get them clean again, like she was getting her lutz clean, but choose to abandon these efforts in favor of the 3 triple axles, which takes up most of her ice time it seems.

Rinkside
    Schultheiss might try.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I don't think Mao has "lost" the 3/3 but because her jumps are not as high as they used to be it will almost always be downgraded. She knows this and so does not bother trying it. Is she really worked on them, she could get them clean again, like she was getting her lutz clean, but choose to abandon these efforts in favor of the 3 triple axles, which takes up most of her ice time it seems.
    As I said, this judgment should be made if she adopts her current layout in the future. For all I know, she still practices the 3/3, so she is still working on them, just they are not in her layout this season. Also, her 3/3 being downgraded may not be a technical thing per se, because Miki who does good 3/3 in practice tends to leave them out in fear of downgrades. She says she will include them at Olympics but who knows she may play safe again. So I think Mao is not the only one plagued by her 3/3.
    Last edited by miki88; 02-09-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Custom Title
    I'm lost. Land it or not, will Mao try a quad?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    I'm lost. Land it or not, will Mao try a quad?
    No, because that's Miki's trademark .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I would say you just described the concept of "lost". Mao had a 3/3 that got credit now she doesn't therefore 3/3 is "lost". Yes she may be able to get it to the point of being credited again in the future but for the time being it is "lost".

Custom Title
    No, because that's Miki's trademark .
    I know. I am just amazed that every single topic would end up in the ladies skating even in the quad thread.

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Daisuke, Kozuka,Oda and Abott will try and land it.
    Maybe also Brezina and Amodio try their 4S and Fernandez his 4t.
    Plushy will not?

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    I know. I am just amazed that every single topic would end up in the ladies skating even in the quad thread.
    ... or Plushenko

I think that even they will not know at the moment while out on the ice, what will jump - everything will be decided on the spot ... and everything will depend of a results in short programs, and the order of appearance in LP (what will predecessor do)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast