Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: American judge asking to be more strict with Plush and Jouby at Olys

French and American sporting authorities as well as internationally recognized doping authorities have publicly rebuked L'equipe more than once over it's unethical attacks against champion cyclist Lance Armstrong. This paper has attacked Armstrong using anonymous and/or unconfirmed evidence.

According to Armstrong the paper has a strong anti- American bias.

Maybe more will come out on Inman - for now we should consider the source of the story and it's purpose - which is to sell more papers.
    Last edited by janetfan; 02-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Since it is my first Oly season online, was all this drama happening before torino also and maybe SL city?Judges, marks, complaining, nightmare stuff, the whole packet? I knew gs in previous Olys and was reading sometimes but not so many stuff cause of dialup connection..It seems so many things now happening, i cant focus.
    I miss my innocent old times when I knew nothing and was watching just the competition

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Since it is my first Oly season online, was all this drama happening before torino also and maybe SL city?Judges, marks, complaining, nightmare stuff, the whole packet? I knew gs in previous Olys and was reading sometimes but not so many stuff cause of dialup connection..It seems so many things now happening, i cant focus.
    I miss my innocent old times when I knew nothing and was watching just the competition
    Seniorita, this is exactly what I was thinking today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also thought maybe it would've been better if I had not registered at all. I enjoyed SLC and Torino so much on my own without going thru another scandal prediction or whining fest every day.. :sheesh:

Just don't burn your popcorn and you will be fine.

BTW, are you talking about "real" popcorn - or that lousy stuff that goes into a microwave?

no, i mean the little seeds that you make them pop on your own, i dont know the microwave version. Then again... i burnt it in 2006 in mens sp and it worked pretty fine, so maybe i shall follow the same ritual???

Custom Title
    Seniorita, it's my first time before Olympics online too. It's really unsettling and disturbing. Do what I do. Go to find a mesmerizing ex. number and watch it 3 times. ...I'm going to watch Jeremy's Gala again.

No i didnt mean the forums or the online stuff are disturbing (i hope that was clear, wasnt it?!) , i mean me knowning the things that are written takes some of my enthusiasm away and I cant focus to what is happening...so, I blame me and the broadband connection!
    Oh well, I ll follow your advice, I m gonna go back to 1998 olympic vids.

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Well, I am disturbed by the "whole package"..
    Besides, I can't have any popcorn, why r u making my mouth water!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ As I understand it the question was about the Transitions component. Chan does have pretty good transitions.
    precisly, why they ask fair judged about transitions only? oh, of course because is not the strong of Plushenko and Joubert. I dont like Plushenko, but why they dont said only "please judges be fair in their scores". Sorry but Chan is overscored a lot and is unfair too. I guess is because they dont look at him so strong or may be because is from the host country.

sorry my english

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    ... but why they dont said only "please judges be fair in their scores". Sorry but Chan is overscored a lot and is unfair too. I guess is because they dont look at him so strong or may be because is from the host country.
    They will never pick Chan on overscoring because it will drag Lysacek in.

I can understand why critics might want to single out the Transitions component for special attention. Of the five program components, Transitions is the one that there should be most agreement about among the judges.

For components like Interpretatation, there might be a wide variety of opinion. But I think the point that some people are making is that it is quite clear what a "transition" is, and programs that do not have any should not be getting 8's.

And in fact, if you look at the protocols, Transitions is almost always the lowest. I think, again, that is because this component can actually be measured -- individual transtitional moves can be named and listed -- whereas for some of the other components I think the judges just say, well, that was a pretty good skate, I guess I'll give it a 7.75

Seniorita-sorry that you're feeling some loss of enthusiasm from reading the forums. Don't let it damper your own love of the Olympics. I don't remember Golden Skate being as busy before Torino but certainly other skating forums have heated debates, especially around Olympics. I think general sports forums, hockey forums, etc. are just as heated right now. Everybody is rooting for their favourites and it's hard to accept when someone slams your favourite or says it'll be their nightmare podium if that skater is on top.

As to the topic, like Mathman said, there are pretty clear expectations for the marks for Transitions. It's less subjective. Interpretation & Performance/Execution are very subjective. Transitions is also a weak spot for the skaters we're discussing here. They have a lot of 'big jumps' in the program but, to do those big jumps, they do some plain old power-building crosscuts into the elements. The ISU explanation of Transitions clearly says, "minimum use of cross cuts".
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf
    *IF* the judge in question is referring to this point (which I'm still saying you can't tell by that email), he has a point: Reward Plushy and Joubert for the big quads definitely but don't forget that the amount of crosscuts they use to get into they quads is counterindicated by the ISU for the transitions mark and they should come up shorter on that mark because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I can understand why critics might want to single out the Transitions component for special attention. Of the five program components, Transitions is the one that there should be most agreement about among the judges.

For components like Interpretatation, there might be a wide variety of opinion. But I think the point that some people are making is that it is quite clear what a "transition" is, and programs that do not have any should not be getting 8's.

And in fact, if you look at the protocols, Transitions is almost always the lowest. I think, again, that is because this component can actually be measured -- individual transtitional moves can be named and listed -- whereas for some of the other components I think the judges just say, well, that was a pretty good skate, I guess I'll give it a 7.75
    I should hope it is Transitions because so much of the other components are based on opinions or just selecting the bullets they want to use. I believe a judge does not have to use all the bullets if they do not want to, but please correct me if I'm not thinking correctly,.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Seniorita-sorry that you're feeling some loss of enthusiasm from reading the forums. Don't let it damper your own love of the Olympics.
    Oh i m fine, Monday it is the whining day for me. I ll have vacations during Olys but I ll try to stay awake and watch everything live with tones of coffee! Since I abandoned any nightmare podiums long ago, I ll survive the post drama, it is actually only my 3rd winter Olys that I watch with full conscience, I want to enjoy it

Art or sport? Figure skating strives to be both

This article sees everything colorful and nice, which was funny for a change. I laughed (in a good way). You know the journalist?

Custom Title
    Sure, L'Équipe knows that controversy sells paper, but then again, the targeted countries are Russia and France. And we all know that these two countries are not clean when it comes to Olympics games... in North America... this century.

So if that memo serves as a little reminder to people to not fudge the Olympic spirit up, I'm all for that. Because any kind of funny business will be exposed, and the last thing figure skating needs is that kind of exposure.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast