Czisny Parts With Coach | Golden Skate

Czisny Parts With Coach

reynycpr

On the Ice
I love Alissa but I definitely felt that she should have made this coaching change a couple years ago...but happy to hear that she is going to continue.

Would love to see her work with Yuka Sato full time.

But along with the change she needs to address the issues that affect her skating...more in the 'mental toughness' area IMO.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with you, reynycpr. This change should have happened a long time ago. It would be interesting to see what Yuka could do with Alissa as a full time coach. :agree:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I know this must have been hard for her. I wonder if Boitano or Leaver would coach her full time...It will be interesting to see who she ends up with.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Best of luck to her! I too am wondering if it is so much the need for a new coach or rather maybe just a better sports psychologist though.:think:
Never the less, she has amazing ability and it would be really interesting to see what someone like Yuka could do with her.

KKonas

Medalist
I know this must have been hard for her. I wonder if Boitano or Leaver would coach her full time...It will be interesting to see who she ends up with.

Czisny was inconsolable after the short program at Nationals. Leaver did her best backstage but I think Sato might be the best choice for her if Czisny continues to compete. Sato presents a very calming presence, nothing seems to ruffle her feathers.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Talk about to little to late. First, I am stunned that is is coming back for another season, but I understand why she would not want to leave to sport with such a bad memory.

Honestly, she should have changed coaches long ago, especially after her poor 2007-8 season. I understand that she wanted to stay in near her college, but there must be other coaches in that area. I can't imagine that she can stay competitive until Sochi, and she already won nationals and was on two world teams.

I wish her the best and do think either Linda Leaver or Sati would be good choices.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't see Yuka Sato mentioned anywhere in the article? Where are people getting her name from?

Anyway, this is interesting as I could have sworn she'd retire after this year. Then again, she's also younger than I thought (22) so she probably has a couple more years to go. I don't think Czisny would have made it onto the Oly team anyway given how Nagasu and Flatt performed. The only person that had a legit shot was Wagner, and she gave a strong effort but the fall in the SP proved to be very costly.

Czisny was inconsolable after the short program at Nationals. Leaver did her best backstage but I think Sato might be the best choice for her...

Really? Didn't hear anything about this.

For those who say that this should have happened earlier...well, she WAS the National champ last year after all. Maybe it could have happened after her disastrous Worlds, but I think- once a headcase, always a headcase.

Last edited:

reynycpr

On the Ice
I don't see Yuka Sato mentioned anywhere in the article? Where are people getting her name from?

Well from what I understand Sato and Biotano have worked with Czisny here and there for the past couple of years... I was just mentioning Sato as my wish for her full time coach.. not that there have been any rumors or anything.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This move is far too late. Czisny should have gotten a new coach after her 15th place at 2007 Worlds.

IMO, Czisny's problem is poor technique exacerbated by competition nerves. She's been trying to work on her technique for the past few years without success. IMO, at 22, Czisny is too old to make any real changes in her jump technique, and her nerves will continue to keep her from success internationally.

It's too bad, because she is a lovely skater--just not a strong competitor.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When I read about Alissa leaving her coach the first person that came to mind is Yuka Sato. Yuka seems to have been a good influence on Jeremy Abbott and perhaps she would help Alissa with her competition nerves. I know Alissa has worked on her technique - maybe there won't be anymore improvement in that department. I can understand that she might want a better final season than this one to remember her competition days.

lcd

Match Penalty
The article seems a bit odd. It does not include the usual boiler plate comment from athlete thank coach, etc. The lack of a replacement certainly seems to leave a fair amount up in the air, though the timing could be a part of that. Yuka Sato, also being at the Detroit Skating Club, seems everyone's pick for a logical choice. Given her need to further strength both jumps and competitive abilities, I wonder if Brian Orser would be out of the question.

kyla2

Final Flight
Needs To Retire

Alissa needs to move on with her life. You can't unlearn bad technique at 22 years of age. She is an exquisite skater in every other respect but she cannot jump consistently. It isn't just about nerves but about relearning how to jump all over again. It gives me no pleasure to make these comments because I think she is a lovely person and one of the most beautiful skaters to ever hit the ice.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow. I really don't know what to think about this. I always figured she stayed with Julie Berlin because they obviously cared so much about each other and loved working her. Of course, I often wondered if a coaching change was merited ... but then I figured, well, winning isn't everything and maybe it's important for Alissa to have fun and feel good about herself when she trains ...

I'm with everyone else on this thread who is thinking "why now?" and "is it worth it at this point?"

But I'm not surprised Alissa isn't quite ready to throw in the towel. Before nationals, I read somewhere that Brian Boitano encouraged her to keep competing no matter what happened at nationals and not to leave the sport with regrets. Even if she doesn't make it to the next Olympics, there are nationals and world competitions in between. For Rudy Galindo, winning nationals and the bronze at worlds was the pinnacle and it was enough for him - and for his fans. Of course, Alissa could still decide to retire before next season. She may just be weighing her options. We'll see what happens.

Also, question: Does Alissa really have poor technique? As I understand it, she has a really good triple lutz - doesn't flutz - which always made me figure that technique wasn't exactly her problem. I kind of suspected that it was more the way she trained. I wondered if her training was too comfortable and if she really pushed herself on the things which were most difficult for her ... I don't know ... that's what made me wonder if Julie Berlin was really the right coach for her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow. I really don't know what to think about this. I always figured she stayed with Julie Berlin because they obviously cared so much about each other and loved working her. Of course, I often wondered if a coaching change was merited ... but then I figured, well, winning isn't everything and maybe it's important for Alissa to have fun and feel good about herself when she trains ...

I'm with everyone else on this thread who is thinking "why now?" and "is it worth it at this point?"

But I'm not surprised Alissa isn't quite ready to throw in the towel. Before nationals, I read somewhere that Brian Boitano encouraged her to keep competing no matter what happened at nationals and not to leave the sport with regrets. Even if she doesn't make it to the next Olympics, there are nationals and world competitions in between. For Rudy Galindo, winning nationals and the bronze at worlds was the pinnacle and it was enough for him - and for his fans. Of course, Alissa could still decide to retire before next season. She may just be weighing her options. We'll see what happens.

Also, question: Does Alissa really have poor technique? As I understand it, she has a really good triple lutz - doesn't flutz - which always made me figure that technique wasn't exactly her problem. I kind of suspected that it was more the way she trained. I wondered if her training was too comfortable and if she really pushed herself on the things which were most difficult for her ... I don't know ... that's what made me wonder if Julie Berlin was really the right coach for her.

Alissa's lutz technique is fine, but even so she can never do two clean triple lutzes in a program, her flip is troublesome, loop is always under-rotated, double axel technique funky (head moves before body), salchow non-existent, which leaves her with triple toe. These are problems she has before nerves, and the nerves just make it worse. I always thought her jumping issues may be due to lack of strength but I know she had ankle problems before so she could be injury prone, have bad knees or ankles, boot problems, etc.

I do think it would maybe be best for her to retire soon, but staying another season would do her no harm. I understand why she would want to leave the sport on a good note. I do think the "once a headcase, always a headcase" claim is true, and unfortunately for Alissa, even at her best, technically she is just average. Carolina and Tomas are headcases too but with Carolina's 3-3 and Tomas's 4-3, their huge technical talent almost excuses it to some point - why would you quit if, at your best, you could be one of the best in the world? I'm not sure if the same can be said for Alissa, I used to think so, but with tech callers being so strict recently, I'm not really convinced. She is a lovely skater and lovely person though and I will miss her when she finally retires.

reynycpr

On the Ice

I think her issues with her jumps (imo) comes from what happens in the air, not so much entry (edge)...except the flip at times. I believe someone here mentioned it in another thread on how her upper body seems to rotate faster than her bottom half, which leads to her UR calls most of the time. But yes, I think she has one the purest lutz entries in the Biz.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Alissa's lutz technique is fine, but even so she can never do two clean triple lutzes in a program, her flip is troublesome, loop is always under-rotated, double axel technique funky (head moves before body), salchow non-existent, which leaves her with triple toe. These are problems she has before nerves, and the nerves just make it worse. I always thought her jumping issues may be due to lack of strength but I know she had ankle problems before so she could be injury prone, have bad knees or ankles, boot problems, etc.

I do think it would maybe be best for her to retire soon, but staying another season would do her no harm. I understand why she would want to leave the sport on a good note. I do think the "once a headcase, always a headcase" claim is true, and unfortunately for Alissa, even at her best, technically she is just average. Carolina and Tomas are headcases too but with Carolina's 3-3 and Tomas's 4-3, their huge technical talent almost excuses it to some point - why would you quit if, at your best, you could be one of the best in the world? I'm not sure if the same can be said for Alissa, I used to think so, but with tech callers being so strict recently, I'm not really convinced. She is a lovely skater and lovely person though and I will miss her when she finally retires.

Thanks for answering my question on the technique thing :)

It's true Alissa, unlike Carolina and others with inconsistent results, has never proven herself to be an international medal contender, unless you count some of her Grand Prix results, which are of questionable meaning.

OTOH, Alissa is among the best in the world at some things, like spins. So it must be hard for her, knowing that, and knowing that she just hasn't been able to make it to the top despite having such pure talent in some aspects of skating. If I could spin like her and do spirals like her, I'd be tempted to stay in the game too ... Guess figure skating is a pretty difficult sport, huh? :rolleye: