2010 Olympic Preview to Men's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Men's Figure Skating

seniorita

Record Breaker
thank you for plushy youtube video, i havent seen him all these days,:love: he looks happy:)
nbc not very fond of mr plush :laugh:

UM84

On the Ice
The US men all got excellents draws, their spot will allow them to get an idea of what they need to do in their short

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
The axel has a forward take-off that makes it difficult in a unique way. For me, quads of other jumps do not, and never will, replace it. Timothy Goebel had problems with the triple axel, too. I appreciate that both he and Stephane Lambiel have their dedicated fans, but I noticed that back when Stephane was competing and winning *without* the triple axel, some other skaters dropped doing it, also. Why struggle with something so difficult, when one could win without it? It seemed back then that I might be witnessing the beginning of the demise of the triple axel in male competition, because of CoP. Fortunately, the rules of CoP got more finely tuned every season, and the triple axel made its return to most programmes, because of improved value under the system. To each his own; I do not want to watch men's figure skating, without the triple axel. Quads do not replace it for me; they never will. Moreover, to me, the words "Olympic Champion" do not spell avoidance. Under 6.0, the men had to display a competence in *all* the major jump styles, even under the greatest emotional pressure.

As for injuries, no one is forced to compete for the Olympic gold; it is a choice. If one is not up to the job, then I think that one should not essay it. This is a sport, and I think that it should not become a place where doing "extra credit" work can make up for what is lacking. The axel is the only jump which has a forward take-off; that requires the development of a special skill. Jeffrey Buttle worked hard, and finally achieved that skill. So did Stephane Lambiel, for *one* season. I respected the work that both of them had put into that. I am sorry that Stephane has suffered injuries that make it harder for him, but the comeback was his decision, not mine. My opinion is that I want to see a triple axel performed in Olympic competition by *whoever* gets the gold medal and is named Olympic Champion. It is his right to compete when unready; it is my right not to expect him to be granted a pass for it. People posted here whom they wanted to win the gold. I decided to post my honest opinion about it, because I really, really care a lot about the survival of the triple axel in men's competition, especially in Olympic competition. This is not about nationalism for me; this is about the sport itself. I hesitated to say how I really feel, because I do not want to offend Lambiel fans, but ultimately, I chose not to lie about what I should like to see happen. If Stephane were to win *with* a triple axel, then my feelings about his winning would be different.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
whole quote

Completely agree. The winner should have a full arsenal of every type of jump including a beautiful 3A which is in my opinion the most awe inspiring jump in Men's skating. I love Stéphane for everything but his jumps, but I do not think he is capable of a gold medal without a 3A or with his sloppiness on other jumps (see 2010 Europeans). I would be happy for him to get a bronze though.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Dodhiyel, what you say is fair. My thing is I don't think that the winner will be lacking a triple axel. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think you're worrying for nothing. I won't deny it, I want Lambiel to win, but I'll also be completely honest, the fantasy I've constructed where he wins includes him landing a triple axel in both short and long. But I'll be more honest - as long Lysacek, Plushenko and Joubert don't win, I think I'll be happy.

shine

Record Breaker
The axel has a forward take-off that makes it difficult in a unique way. For me, quads of other jumps do not, and never will, replace it. Timothy Goebel had problems with the triple axel, too. I appreciate that both he and Stephane Lambiel have their dedicated fans, but I noticed that back when Stephane was competing and winning *without* the triple axel, some other skaters dropped doing it, also. Why struggle with something so difficult, when one could win without it? It seemed back then that I might be witnessing the beginning of the demise of the triple axel in male competition, because of CoP. Fortunately, the rules of CoP got more finely tuned every season, and the triple axel made its return to most programmes, because of improved value under the system. To each his own; I do not want to watch men's figure skating, without the triple axel. Quads do not replace it for me; they never will. Moreover, to me, the words "Olympic Champion" do not spell avoidance. Under 6.0, the men had to display a competence in *all* the major jump styles, even under the greatest emotional pressure.

As for injuries, no one is forced to compete for the Olympic gold; it is a choice. If one is not up to the job, then I think that one should not essay it. This is a sport, and I think that it should not become a place where doing "extra credit" work can make up for what is lacking. The axel is the only jump which has a forward take-off; that requires the development of a special skill. Jeffrey Buttle worked hard, and finally achieved that skill. So did Stephane Lambiel, for *one* season. I respected the work that both of them had put into that. I am sorry that Stephane has suffered injuries that make it harder for him, but the comeback was his decision, not mine. My opinion is that I want to see a triple axel performed in Olympic competition by *whoever* gets the gold medal and is named Olympic Champion. It is his right to compete when unready; it is my right not to expect him to be granted a pass for it. People posted here whom they wanted to win the gold. I decided to post my honest opinion about it, because I really, really care a lot about the survival of the triple axel in men's competition, especially in Olympic competition. This is not about nationalism for me; this is about the sport itself. I hesitated to say how I really feel, because I do not want to offend Lambiel fans, but ultimately, I chose not to lie about what I should like to see happen. If Stephane were to win *with* a triple axel, then my feelings about his winning would be different.
HUH? You make it sound like Stephane hadn't been attemping the the triple axel for most of his career. In fact, he had landed the jump in competition from 2003 to 2007 and it was really only in 2008 when he really stopped attempting it as it was giving him too much trouble. He landed more triple axels in his career than some have ever landed their quad. And are you trying to suggest that he shouldn't have come back because he doesn't attempt a triple axel? I'm sorry, I totally disagree. He has SO much to offer the sport besides the triple axel.

Last edited:

chiocciola

On the Ice
I would prefer
Plushy
Joubert (or vice versa, depending on who's cleaner)
whatever

Men should skate like men, these first are the only ones who do, who are not afraid of challenge, Plushy's comeback was evident, men became less sportive, more lazy and put stress on dancing skills rather than on achieving sport results.

Let's be objective!

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I would prefer
Plushy
whatever

Men should skate like men, these first are the only ones who do, who are not afraid of challenge, Plushy's comeback was evident, men became less sportive, more lazy and put stress on dancing skills rather than on achieving sport results.

Let's be objective!

Oh dear. I'm afraid a slightly controversial poster has just joined the Golden Skate family. ;)
Post often, post long!! :laugh:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I would prefer
Plushy
whatever

Let's be objective!

Aw, I dunno. Jeremy Abbott did a gorgeous quad at nationals. AND he has amazing transitions AND every moment in his program is accounted for, every moment flows into the other. What's the point of having all these other elements in figure skating if they are not going to count? Besides, what you dismiss as "dancing skills" is actually athletic prowess. It takes athletic ability to be able to do intricate transitions into jumps, sharp footwork sequences and fast and centered spins. Maybe you'd like the men's event to be like the men's floor program in gymnastics, where they don't have to dance at all. But it's not. So it shouldn't be judged that way. (Personally, I'd like to see the women's floor exercise judged the way the men's is because I absolutely hate the "dancing" that the women are expected to do ... but that's a different forum:) )

(BUT. Don't think for a moment that I don't love Plushy's skating because I actually do. I understand the criticism against some aspects of his skating but as I've said before I think there is something awesome that's it's the "old guy" who's totally out jumping the youngsters ... Go Plushy!!)

Last edited:

chiocciola

On the Ice
Aw, I dunno. Jeremy Abbott did a gorgeous quad at nationals. AND he has amazing transitions AND every moment in his program is accounted for, every moment flows into the other. What's the point of having all these other elements in figure skating if they are not going to count? Besides, what you dismiss as "dancing skills" is actually athletic prowess. It takes athletic ability to be able to do intricate transitions into jumps, sharp footwork sequences and fast and centered spins. Maybe you'd like the men's event to be like the men's floor program in gymnastics, where they don't have to dance at all. But it's not. So it shouldn't be judged that way. (Personally, I'd like to see the women's floor exercise judged the way the men's is because I absolutely hate the "dancing" that the women are expected to do ... but that's a different forum:) )

(BUT. Don't think for a moment that I don't love Plushy's skating because I actually do. I understand the criticism against some aspects of his skating but as I've said before I think there is something awesome that's it's the "old guy" who's totally out jumping the youngsters ... Go Plushy!!)

I completely agree, it's sad to have men skating without quads, if they do 4+3 combos + transitions it would be a pleasure to watch... ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I completely agree, it's sad to have men skating without quads, if they do 4+3 combos + transitions it would be a pleasure to watch... ;)

Mmmm. The best of Plushy and someone like Jeremy Abbott combined ... can it be done ... That would almost be scary...

UM84

On the Ice
I really hope Weir wins, I'm so suck of only hearing about Evangei(sp), Jeremy and Evan. Weir is fantastic when he is on
))

Alatariel

On the Ice
Weir is a long shot for the podium, let alone the gold. I love him though so if nothing else I'd love to see a great clean SP, followed by an LP where he does the quad, fall or not and simply giving it his all! I'd love this to be a great Olys for him no matter what happens so that he feels good. I keep thinking go for it J and forget the rest and then let the dice roll!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I want Brian Joubert to win gold, that is my hope for the Olympics. Last night the judges proved that not only are they NOT afraid to NOT give Russia gold, but to also keep them OFF the podium. So I have HIGH hopes that Plushy will go home with nothing. From what I have heard, Brian is feeling good, keeping a low profile, and has come out to say that he is going to give it his all and hold nothing back.

My dream podium:

Brian Joubert: GOLD
Johnny Weir: SILVER
Kevin Van Der Parren: BRONZE

seniorita

Record Breaker
This is not statistical system of :judges didnt want russians to medal yesterday so the probabibility is that they dont want Russians on podium in general. Unless there is mathematic proof :p
I dont think it was judges or what they are afraid of and I dont expect Russia with a pointing gun make them mark otherwise, as K/S should not have been on the podium by their Lp, and the judges were given every right reason not to mark them as medalists.
But what suits you best for hope;)