Thread: 2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating

Hybrid View

News 2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating

The ladies should be a little more cut and dry than the other divisions, but recent Olympic history has taught us that the favorite hasn't been so lucky as of late. We've had Olympic champions with the names Lipinski, Hughes, and Arakawa, while the favorites like Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen failed to step up to the challenge. Korea's Kim Yuna should take note of this little tidbit; it's likely that her competition has.

More

Custom Title
    all i am going to say--is this -i disagree with the news and the view point--the consideration is that the challengers had the same kind of pressure dealing with the media, endorsements, fans, hopes as the favorites----i think not-and by skating a clean skate with 7 jumps isn't stepping up the challenge--
    figure skating is a judging (subjective, specalutive sport) in others words-why one wins and one doesn't is more mpersonall opinion than not--yes we may point put reason as to why -a extra jump here,a fall here, no fall there, more artistry there-but we really don't know
    the judges never have came out and stated why one wins and ones doesn,
    until the judges come out and tell the people the specific reasons why they jvoted one way or the other-we still speculate and disagree (argue) etc .
    so to me this kind is pointless.
    the ar ereasons why the skater helps another to win-but may not be necessarily the exact reason why the skater wins.
    so this is it for me-regards all discplines.

Mashimaro on Ice
    looks like this reporter sees Ando as the most likely upset to Kim (which i agree), but I don't agree that her programs are aesthetically beautiful~~~~~. The reporter doesn't seem to have too much hope on Rochette as some others do.

Custom Title
    I agree totally with the reporter. They are take the prediction from THIS season and not the past ones. I do think that Miki Ando is the favorite to upset Kim, but I love her program and they are beautiful but not aesthetically. On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.

Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.
    Why not? YuNa, Miki, and Mao all turned in 2-5 triple performances this season and have struggled with consistency, cheating jumps, leaving out jumps, doubling jumps, etc. Joannie also just went clean at Nationals - landing 7 triples - which none of Yuna, Miki, or Mao has done this season...

I don't think Joannie can be singled out as a "non gold medal contender" because all the other contenders have had a rocky season as well. I think that makes the event all the more exciting though! Each skater is going to have to skate their butt of to earn a medal and it seems that gold may not be as locked up as it once seemed to be. Let the Games begin!!
    Last edited by i love to skate; 02-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I dont like the way that the Grand Prix Bronze Medalist and 4CC silver medalist Akiko was just an after thought to US National champion due to one long prrogram when she beat a sub par kim

Custom Title
    From the point of view of this whole entireseason, she didn't do good internationally. Yes, ill give the point about her and the 7 triple at national but can she do it internationally and with the pressure of the home crowd. Kim only landed 4 triple and still broke the world record. Mao land all of her triple and still was over Rochette's personal score. Miki hasn't skate the cleans but still was better then Rochette. She skate bad at national because she already had her spot on the olympic team in the bag.

Finally, Rochette is good, but I just don't think the gold is going to be hers, maybe the bronze and even the silver. If she wins the gold, ill post that i was wrong about her.