Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80

Thread: 2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,681

    News 2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating

    The ladies should be a little more cut and dry than the other divisions, but recent Olympic history has taught us that the favorite hasn't been so lucky as of late. We've had Olympic champions with the names Lipinski, Hughes, and Arakawa, while the favorites like Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen failed to step up to the challenge. Korea's Kim Yuna should take note of this little tidbit; it's likely that her competition has.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    all i am going to say--is this -i disagree with the news and the view point--the consideration is that the challengers had the same kind of pressure dealing with the media, endorsements, fans, hopes as the favorites----i think not-and by skating a clean skate with 7 jumps isn't stepping up the challenge--
    figure skating is a judging (subjective, specalutive sport) in others words-why one wins and one doesn't is more mpersonall opinion than not--yes we may point put reason as to why -a extra jump here,a fall here, no fall there, more artistry there-but we really don't know
    the judges never have came out and stated why one wins and ones doesn,
    until the judges come out and tell the people the specific reasons why they jvoted one way or the other-we still speculate and disagree (argue) etc .
    so to me this kind is pointless.
    the ar ereasons why the skater helps another to win-but may not be necessarily the exact reason why the skater wins.
    so this is it for me-regards all discplines.

  3. #3
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    looks like this reporter sees Ando as the most likely upset to Kim (which i agree), but I don't agree that her programs are aesthetically beautiful~~~~~. The reporter doesn't seem to have too much hope on Rochette as some others do.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    167
    I agree totally with the reporter. They are take the prediction from THIS season and not the past ones. I do think that Miki Ando is the favorite to upset Kim, but I love her program and they are beautiful but not aesthetically. On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.

  5. #5
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by jovani2293 View Post
    On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.
    Why not? YuNa, Miki, and Mao all turned in 2-5 triple performances this season and have struggled with consistency, cheating jumps, leaving out jumps, doubling jumps, etc. Joannie also just went clean at Nationals - landing 7 triples - which none of Yuna, Miki, or Mao has done this season...

    I don't think Joannie can be singled out as a "non gold medal contender" because all the other contenders have had a rocky season as well. I think that makes the event all the more exciting though! Each skater is going to have to skate their butt of to earn a medal and it seems that gold may not be as locked up as it once seemed to be. Let the Games begin!!
    Last edited by i love to skate; 02-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,025
    I dont like the way that the Grand Prix Bronze Medalist and 4CC silver medalist Akiko was just an after thought to US National champion due to one long prrogram when she beat a sub par kim

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    167
    From the point of view of this whole entireseason, she didn't do good internationally. Yes, ill give the point about her and the 7 triple at national but can she do it internationally and with the pressure of the home crowd. Kim only landed 4 triple and still broke the world record. Mao land all of her triple and still was over Rochette's personal score. Miki hasn't skate the cleans but still was better then Rochette. She skate bad at national because she already had her spot on the olympic team in the bag.

    Finally, Rochette is good, but I just don't think the gold is going to be hers, maybe the bronze and even the silver. If she wins the gold, ill post that i was wrong about her.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    I dont like the way that the Grand Prix Bronze Medalist and 4CC silver medalist Akiko was just an after thought to US National champion due to one long prrogram when she beat a sub par kim
    Flatt was in the international scene before Akiko had a break through season.
    Technically Flatt is stronger.
    Akiko only does 1 lutz in both SP & LP.
    Flatt does 3 lutzes.
    Flatt is the US National champion. GS is a US website, correct me if I'm wrong.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    This is a fair story. I don't think it's hard on Rochette. She states at the beginning that ladies event is not a clear cut scenario. There are stronger contenders but she lists many who have as good a chance as any other named.

  10. #10
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    I think this is a reasonable assessment, although I personally am betting that Suzuki is going to continue to come on strong ,and may have a better chance to medal than the article seems to imply, but let's face it , for her and Joannie , a lot depends on whether they've been continuing peak, in confidence as well as physical condition .( What a competition if they have. )

    What has me going and ( and I have to cross threads here , a bit )..is how the writer can nail B/A's FD program so astutely ( which is no reflection on the skaters , but the program , itself)..and simultaneously assess Ando's programs as aesthetically beautiful.

    Unfathomable.

  11. #11
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I think this is a reasonable assessment, although I personally am betting that Suzuki is going to continue to come on strong ,and may have a better chance to medal than the article seems to imply, but let's face it , for her and Joannie , a lot depends on whether they've been continuing peak, in confidence as well as physical condition .( What a competition if they have. )

    What has me going and ( and I have to cross threads here , a bit )..is how the writer can nail B/A's FD program so astutely ( which is no reflection on the skaters , but the program , itself)..and simultaneously assess Ando's programs as aesthetically beautiful.

    Unfathomable.
    Yea I was wondering about that too. Maybe he's a Miki fan .

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Flatt was in the international scene before Akiko had a break through season.
    Technically Flatt is stronger.
    Akiko only does 1 lutz in both SP & LP.
    Flatt does 3 lutzes.
    Flatt is the US National champion. GS is a US website, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Well we cant just compare that i mean, probably Flatt has more international experience, but Akiko won a a gold medal, quailify to the final and got the bronze,and silver at 4CC, she has been more consistent with her 7 triples and has develope an artistic ability to perform, yes rachel has good lutzes, good 3-3 and somehow she is consistent, and she is very fun to watch, but in my opinion Akiko has been more succesful this year than Flatt, seems that the note didnt want to show any of this
    Last edited by Iscariot; 02-10-2010 at 12:59 AM.

  13. #13
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I don't think Flatt or Akiko will podium. Let's wait to see these two next season or even in Worlds as well.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    877
    I think both Rachel and Akiko could medal BUT two of the top four (Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada) would have to skate under par. Probable no, but still quite possible. This is ice and this is the Olympics. I think Kostner and also has a shot.

  15. #15
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    I think both Rachel and Akiko could medal BUT two of the top four (Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada) would have to skate under par. Probable no, but still quite possible. This is ice and this is the Olympics. I think Kostner and also has a shot.
    It is hard to say but the last two times Akiko and Miki competetd against each other Akiko skated cirlces around Miki. I know Akiko did not get the marks at the GPF but it is easy enough to see who was better at that event.

    If Akiko can skate clean (she always has passion) I see her as good enough to medal. I don't know if the judges will be fair to her or not. If we see a repeat of the inept judging we saw at the GPF then Akiko does not have a big enough "reputation" to medal under the CoP.

    I hope for her own satisfaction she skates well and I will be cheering madly for Akiko to do her best.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •