2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Ladies Figure Skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ladies should be a little more cut and dry than the other divisions, but recent Olympic history has taught us that the favorite hasn't been so lucky as of late. We've had Olympic champions with the names Lipinski, Hughes, and Arakawa, while the favorites like Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen failed to step up to the challenge. Korea's Kim Yuna should take note of this little tidbit; it's likely that her competition has.

More

fairly4

Medalist
all i am going to say--is this -i disagree with the news and the view point--the consideration is that the challengers had the same kind of pressure dealing with the media, endorsements, fans, hopes as the favorites----i think not-and by skating a clean skate with 7 jumps isn't stepping up the challenge--
figure skating is a judging (subjective, specalutive sport) in others words-why one wins and one doesn't is more mpersonall opinion than not--yes we may point put reason as to why -a extra jump here,a fall here, no fall there, more artistry there-but we really don't know
the judges never have came out and stated why one wins and ones doesn,
until the judges come out and tell the people the specific reasons why they jvoted one way or the other-we still speculate and disagree (argue) etc .
so to me this kind is pointless.
the ar ereasons why the skater helps another to win-but may not be necessarily the exact reason why the skater wins.
so this is it for me-regards all discplines.

miki88

Medalist
looks like this reporter sees Ando as the most likely upset to Kim (which i agree), but I don't agree that her programs are aesthetically beautiful~~~~~. The reporter doesn't seem to have too much hope on Rochette as some others do.

jovani2293

On the Ice
I agree totally with the reporter. They are take the prediction from THIS season and not the past ones. I do think that Miki Ando is the favorite to upset Kim, but I love her program and they are beautiful but not aesthetically. On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.

i love to skate

Medalist
On the note of Rochette, from the point of this season, she is really not a gold medal contender.

Why not? YuNa, Miki, and Mao all turned in 2-5 triple performances this season and have struggled with consistency, cheating jumps, leaving out jumps, doubling jumps, etc. Joannie also just went clean at Nationals - landing 7 triples - which none of Yuna, Miki, or Mao has done this season...

I don't think Joannie can be singled out as a "non gold medal contender" because all the other contenders have had a rocky season as well. I think that makes the event all the more exciting though! Each skater is going to have to skate their butt of to earn a medal and it seems that gold may not be as locked up as it once seemed to be. Let the Games begin!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
I dont like the way that the Grand Prix Bronze Medalist and 4CC silver medalist Akiko was just an after thought to US National champion due to one long prrogram when she beat a sub par kim

jovani2293

On the Ice
From the point of view of this whole entireseason, she didn't do good internationally. Yes, ill give the point about her and the 7 triple at national but can she do it internationally and with the pressure of the home crowd. Kim only landed 4 triple and still broke the world record. Mao land all of her triple and still was over Rochette's personal score. Miki hasn't skate the cleans but still was better then Rochette. She skate bad at national because she already had her spot on the olympic team in the bag.

Finally, Rochette is good, but I just don't think the gold is going to be hers, maybe the bronze and even the silver. If she wins the gold, ill post that i was wrong about her.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I dont like the way that the Grand Prix Bronze Medalist and 4CC silver medalist Akiko was just an after thought to US National champion due to one long prrogram when she beat a sub par kim

Flatt was in the international scene before Akiko had a break through season.
Technically Flatt is stronger.
Akiko only does 1 lutz in both SP & LP.
Flatt does 3 lutzes.
Flatt is the US National champion. GS is a US website, correct me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

aurora100

Final Flight
This is a fair story. I don't think it's hard on Rochette. She states at the beginning that ladies event is not a clear cut scenario. There are stronger contenders but she lists many who have as good a chance as any other named.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think this is a reasonable assessment, although I personally am betting that Suzuki is going to continue to come on strong ,and may have a better chance to medal than the article seems to imply, but let's face it , for her and Joannie , a lot depends on whether they've been continuing peak, in confidence as well as physical condition .( What a competition if they have. )

What has me going :unsure: and :confused: ( and I have to cross threads here , a bit )..is how the writer can nail B/A's FD program so astutely ( which is no reflection on the skaters , but the program , itself)..and simultaneously assess Ando's programs as aesthetically beautiful.

Unfathomable.

miki88

Medalist
I think this is a reasonable assessment, although I personally am betting that Suzuki is going to continue to come on strong ,and may have a better chance to medal than the article seems to imply, but let's face it , for her and Joannie , a lot depends on whether they've been continuing peak, in confidence as well as physical condition .( What a competition if they have. )

What has me going :unsure: and :confused: ( and I have to cross threads here , a bit )..is how the writer can nail B/A's FD program so astutely ( which is no reflection on the skaters , but the program , itself)..and simultaneously assess Ando's programs as aesthetically beautiful.

Unfathomable.

Yea I was wondering about that too. Maybe he's a Miki fan ;).

Iscariot

On the Ice
Flatt was in the international scene before Akiko had a break through season.
Technically Flatt is stronger.
Akiko only does 1 lutz in both SP & LP.
Flatt does 3 lutzes.
Flatt is the US National champion. GS is a US website, correct me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

Well we cant just compare that i mean, probably Flatt has more international experience, but Akiko won a a gold medal, quailify to the final and got the bronze,and silver at 4CC, she has been more consistent with her 7 triples and has develope an artistic ability to perform, yes rachel has good lutzes, good 3-3 and somehow she is consistent, and she is very fun to watch, but in my opinion Akiko has been more succesful this year than Flatt, seems that the note didnt want to show any of this

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think both Rachel and Akiko could medal BUT two of the top four (Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada) would have to skate under par. Probable no, but still quite possible. This is ice and this is the Olympics. I think Kostner and also has a shot.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think both Rachel and Akiko could medal BUT two of the top four (Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada) would have to skate under par. Probable no, but still quite possible. This is ice and this is the Olympics. I think Kostner and also has a shot.

It is hard to say but the last two times Akiko and Miki competetd against each other Akiko skated cirlces around Miki. I know Akiko did not get the marks at the GPF but it is easy enough to see who was better at that event.

If Akiko can skate clean (she always has passion) I see her as good enough to medal. I don't know if the judges will be fair to her or not. If we see a repeat of the inept judging we saw at the GPF then Akiko does not have a big enough "reputation" to medal under the CoP.

I hope for her own satisfaction she skates well and I will be cheering madly for Akiko to do her best.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I don't think Flatt or Akiko will podium. Let's wait to see these two next season or even in Worlds as well.
It's not Akiko but Yukari who is assigned to the next Worlds by the JSF for their 3rd spot.
Well if Mao wins the Olys she might take a rest and let JSF make Akiko go to Turin.

miki88

Medalist
It's not Akiko but Yukari who is assigned to the next Worlds by the JSF for their 3rd spot.
Well if Mao wins the Olys she might take a rest and let JSF make Akiko go to Turin.

Mao has already said she will go to Worlds and continue regardless of her results at Olympics. I think Akiko is the one who needs a break IMAO; the girl has been working non-stop all season.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You and me both janetfan, i love her this year and want her to medal.

I didn't mean I want Akiko to beat Miki. I meant if any of the top four come out with nervous and/or robotic looking 3-4 triple programs - and Akiko skates her best I would be extremely disappointed if she did not get judged fairly.

But she is my favorite - along with Mirai.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
It is hard to say but the last two times Akiko and Miki competetd against each other Akiko skated cirlces around Miki. I know Akiko did not get the marks at the GPF but it is easy enough to see who was better at that event.

If Akiko can skate clean (she always has passion) I see her as good enough to medal. I don't know if the judges will be fair to her or not. If we see a repeat of the inept judging we saw at the GPF then Akiko does not have a big enough "reputation" to medal under the CoP.

I hope for her own satisfaction she skates well and I will be cheering madly for Akiko to do her best.

Me too ... and also cheering for Mirai and Rachael. I have come to agree that Rachael is the one to watch if the others stumble. Those seven triples in her LP ... But a lot of that is based on the asumption that she will skate clean. It's a good asumption - I don't think she will be under more pressure than she was a nationals, where she was a favorite for the gold. Still - it's an "if." One of the many "IFs" that is going into these analises of the women's competition. The only IF in the men's competition is "who will skate the best?" If only the women's competition were gearing up to be such a great show of talent.

I read a quote from Rachael somewhere in which she says her dream is for everyone to skate well and for her to still be in the top. And she said she really wants everyone to skate clean and for the Olympics to be a great competition. That is exactly the right attitude, and coming from Rachael, I believe she is being truthful. It shows she is thinking about herself and not about what everyone else is doing. Of course, that kind of attitude is a lot easier to have when you don't have the pressure of being a favorite. But that's the way it is, and that is Rachael's advantage. Theoretically, Mirai has the same advantage. But she has the disadvantage of these Olympics being her first major international competition. I just really want Mirai to have an awesome skate and land wherever she lands in the standings.

Lastly, IF Carolina manages to stay upright, I think she's the one, not Rachael. There just so many IFs...