2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating

bekalc

Record Breaker
I love fairy tale endings and would love to see S/Z finally win gold to cap off their brilliant careers. They skate from the heart and always move me.

I don't find S/Z winning a fairy tale ending for all the rest of the pairs teams who have bothered to compete and risked injury for the last quad. I feel extremely bad for S/S in this situation they've been the team of this quad, and in my opinion are far more innovative than S/Z have ever been in their careers.

aurora100

Final Flight
S/Z have been one of the first to perform every event this season due to the fact that they didn't compete for last few years. I'm sure they expect it and are prepared for it. They will set a standard every pair coming after them have to meet and they will be placed well going into the long. I want them to win gold here more than anything I've ever wanted for any skater/s in any skating event in 30 years I've watched the game seriously. That would make this Olympics for me. :love::agree:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't find S/Z winning a fairy tale ending for all the rest of the pairs teams who have bothered to compete and risked injury for the last quad. I feel extremely bad for S/S in this situation they've been the team of this quad, and in my opinion are far more innovative than S/Z have ever been in their careers.

Well, all the skaters have to do is skate for it.

aurora100

Final Flight
I want S/Z to win not for sentimental reasons but because they are the best in the world at this Olympics.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, all the skaters have to do is skate for it.

If S/Z win because S/S made mistakes, than I'm cool with S/Z winning. But if both were to go clean S/S should beat S/Z because they have harder elements, better basic skating, and more transitions/harder choregraphy and the better long program. My fear is that all the "sentimental reasons" for S/Z could hurt S/S. Both teams going clean though is unlkely. And there is the Russians who are coming up.

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
If both S/S and S/Z are clean, S/Z will win by at least 10 points combined short and long. No pair's program this year compares to S/Z artistically or technically. S/Z's main threat is not S/S but the Russian team who won the Europeans, who got ridiculously over scored, which makes me think Russian Skating Federation is up to something to make sure they keep their legacy of winning Pairs Gold every Olympics since 1964.

If both S/S and S/Z are clean, S/Z will win by at least 10 points combined short and long. No pair's program this year compares to S/Z artistically or technically. S/Z's main threat is not S/S but the Russian team who won the Europeans, who got ridiculously over scored, which makes me think Russian Skating Federation is up to something to make sure they keep their legacy of winning Pairs Gold every Olympics since 1964.
They may feel, they owe it to Moskvina.

Still hope the two American Pairs make a good showing.

bekalc

Record Breaker

That's ridiculous. S/S do harder elements like 3toe 3toe sequences and throw 3flips. This is harder than the side by side jumps that S/Z do. Also they have harder choregraphy and transitions. S/S do some very hard transitions going into their elements. So do the Russians. The Chinese not as much as the other two.

As for their long I think the Chinese long program is dreary (hate that music) S/S have a better long artistically but artistically its one of those things that is arguable.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
If S/Z win because S/S made mistakes, than I'm cool with S/Z winning. But if both were to go clean S/S should beat S/Z because they have harder elements, better basic skating, and more transitions/harder choregraphy and the better long program. My fear is that all the "sentimental reasons" for S/Z could hurt S/S. Both teams going clean though is unlkely. And there is the Russians who are coming up.

But that's just it. They've dominated this quad despite NOT skating cleanly. Remember their LP in Sweden? The freak fall in LA? Or their really poor TEB long? Yeah, they might be innovative, and their Skate Canada score proved that the judges will give it to whomever skates best, but I suspect they're the reason that S/Z decided to come back - ie, if that was what the winners were pulling off, why not throw our hat into the ring (Plushenko was the same way).

That's the reason I have a hard time criticizing S/Z for coming back, and certainly have a hard time going with the "well, other teams stayed and competed and risked injury" line of thought. By that definition, the Ukranian pair would be more deserving than S/Z, and I don't believe that. While sentiment is certainly playing a strong role in the huge scores they're getting, is their a competition you felt they didn't deserve to win? Do you think that the Germans or Pang/Tong were better in the GPF?

For what it's worth, after watching both programs from both skaters, I'll agree - S/S long program is better with better choreography. Where S/Z beat them is that on each element, they do things so effortlessly. Even with a lower base value, they can (and should) make up for it in GOE. The Germans are often a little sloppier (again, watch their LP from Worlds 2008)

pengdequan

Rinkside
Transitions is not all about going into or out of elements.It's also about between elements.
S/Z put more emphasis on the between which is better than anybody else in the world right now.And their balance of two directions skating and one foot skating are also amazing.While S/S is more focused on going into or out of elements which is not all the transitions part.So you can't say whose transitions is more difficult because it's what you care about more.

Last edited:
Transitions is not all about going into or out of elements.It's also about between elements.
S/Z put more emphasis on the between which is better than anybody else in the world right now.And their balance of two directions skating and one foot skating are also amazing.While S/S is more focused on going into or out of elements which is not all the transitions part.So you can't say whose transitions is more difficult because it's what you care about more.
I can say whatever I want just as you do. I respect your opinions as yours.

aurora100

Final Flight
Well on CTV Sale and Pelletier commented that if all the pairs skated clean S/S should be on Top for the Short (which I don't agree with). They also said Russians cannot be counted out (which I agree with). For Canadians they commented that Davis and White look very nervous in practice but Coady and Hay are on fire, having fun.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm really hoping for Annabelle & Cody to have a wonderful competition and a good finish here.:)You go , kids.

*** I know who you mean, but I can't resist..If Davis and White are suddenly competing in pairs for Canada , instead of Dube / davison , they have every right to look nervous. And if Cody Hay is partnering himself..he probably deserves gold..;)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well on CTV Sale and Pelletier commented that if all the pairs skated clean S/S should be on Top for the Short (which I don't agree with). They also said Russians cannot be counted out (which I agree with). For Canadians they commented that Davis and White look very nervous in practice but Coady and Hay are on fire, having fun.

I do agree that if Aliona and Robin are clean they will be in 1st. Or should be. What makes this tricky is that they are almost never 100% clean and they will have to be. For both programs.

I am not surprised Davis and White are nervous. This is thier first olympics, they never even medaled at worlds yet they are coming in national champions, as undefeated this season and as favorites for gold.

beabstress

On the Ice

You meant Dube and Davison, not Davis and White--right?

ks777

Record Breaker
Anyone else watched the preview of Pairs on Universal sports? Tennry gannon, Kristi Yamaguchi and Peter Carruthers were hosting several guests included Bob Paul(one of Mirai's former coachs) and Sandra Bazic.

andofan

Rinkside
Anyone else watched the preview of Pairs on Universal sports? Tennry gannon, Kristi Yamaguchi and Peter Carruthers were hosting several guests included Bob Paul(one of Mirai's former coachs) and Sandra Bazic.
Who did they predict to win the SP tonight?

bekalc

Record Breaker
But that's just it. They've dominated this quad despite NOT skating cleanly. Remember their LP in Sweden? The freak fall in LA? Or their really poor TEB long? Yeah, they might be innovative, and their Skate Canada score proved that the judges will give it to whomever skates best, but I suspect they're the reason that S/Z decided to come back - ie, if that was what the winners were pulling off, why not throw our hat into the ring (Plushenko was the same way).

That's the reason I have a hard time criticizing S/Z for coming back, and certainly have a hard time going with the "well, other teams stayed and competed and risked injury" line of thought. By that definition, the Ukranian pair would be more deserving than S/Z, and I don't believe that. While sentiment is certainly playing a strong role in the huge scores they're getting, is their a competition you felt they didn't deserve to win? Do you think that the Germans or Pang/Tong were better in the GPF?

For what it's worth, after watching both programs from both skaters, I'll agree - S/S long program is better with better choreography. Where S/Z beat them is that on each element, they do things so effortlessly. Even with a lower base value, they can (and should) make up for it in GOE. The Germans are often a little sloppier (again, watch their LP from Worlds 2008)

But its not like S/Z have gone clean since they came back either. I actually agree that I am a bit glad that S/S can't win this with a sloppy skate, which is the way things were last year. :lol: BUT, I'm just tired of hearing how much S/Z deserve this more than anyone else. Because I don't think S/Z do.