Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Olympic Preview to Pairs Figure Skating

Tripping on the Podium
    Transitions is not all about going into or out of elements.It's also about between elements.
    S/Z put more emphasis on the between which is better than anybody else in the world right now.And their balance of two directions skating and one foot skating are also amazing.While S/S is more focused on going into or out of elements which is not all the transitions part.So you can't say whose transitions is more difficult because it's what you care about more.
    Last edited by pengdequan; 02-14-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pengdequan View Post
    Transitions is not all about going into or out of elements.It's also about between elements.
    S/Z put more emphasis on the between which is better than anybody else in the world right now.And their balance of two directions skating and one foot skating are also amazing.While S/S is more focused on going into or out of elements which is not all the transitions part.So you can't say whose transitions is more difficult because it's what you care about more.
    I can say whatever I want just as you do. I respect your opinions as yours.

Custom Title
    Well on CTV Sale and Pelletier commented that if all the pairs skated clean S/S should be on Top for the Short (which I don't agree with). They also said Russians cannot be counted out (which I agree with). For Canadians they commented that Davis and White look very nervous in practice but Coady and Hay are on fire, having fun.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I'm really hoping for Annabelle & Cody to have a wonderful competition and a good finish here.You go , kids.

*** I know who you mean, but I can't resist..If Davis and White are suddenly competing in pairs for Canada , instead of Dube / davison , they have every right to look nervous. And if Cody Hay is partnering himself..he probably deserves gold..
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 02-14-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Well on CTV Sale and Pelletier commented that if all the pairs skated clean S/S should be on Top for the Short (which I don't agree with). They also said Russians cannot be counted out (which I agree with). For Canadians they commented that Davis and White look very nervous in practice but Coady and Hay are on fire, having fun.
    I do agree that if Aliona and Robin are clean they will be in 1st. Or should be. What makes this tricky is that they are almost never 100% clean and they will have to be. For both programs.

I am not surprised Davis and White are nervous. This is thier first olympics, they never even medaled at worlds yet they are coming in national champions, as undefeated this season and as favorites for gold.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    You meant Dube and Davison, not Davis and White--right?

Anyone else watched the preview of Pairs on Universal sports? Tennry gannon, Kristi Yamaguchi and Peter Carruthers were hosting several guests included Bob Paul(one of Mirai's former coachs) and Sandra Bazic.

Out for drinks with Miki, Carolina, and Kira!
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Anyone else watched the preview of Pairs on Universal sports? Tennry gannon, Kristi Yamaguchi and Peter Carruthers were hosting several guests included Bob Paul(one of Mirai's former coachs) and Sandra Bazic.
    Who did they predict to win the SP tonight?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beabstress View Post
    You meant Dube and Davison, not Davis and White--right?
    Yes, I did. Sorry everyone, I really should not mix up the names and confuse everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    But that's just it. They've dominated this quad despite NOT skating cleanly. Remember their LP in Sweden? The freak fall in LA? Or their really poor TEB long? Yeah, they might be innovative, and their Skate Canada score proved that the judges will give it to whomever skates best, but I suspect they're the reason that S/Z decided to come back - ie, if that was what the winners were pulling off, why not throw our hat into the ring (Plushenko was the same way).

That's the reason I have a hard time criticizing S/Z for coming back, and certainly have a hard time going with the "well, other teams stayed and competed and risked injury" line of thought. By that definition, the Ukranian pair would be more deserving than S/Z, and I don't believe that. While sentiment is certainly playing a strong role in the huge scores they're getting, is their a competition you felt they didn't deserve to win? Do you think that the Germans or Pang/Tong were better in the GPF?

For what it's worth, after watching both programs from both skaters, I'll agree - S/S long program is better with better choreography. Where S/Z beat them is that on each element, they do things so effortlessly. Even with a lower base value, they can (and should) make up for it in GOE. The Germans are often a little sloppier (again, watch their LP from Worlds 2008)
    But its not like S/Z have gone clean since they came back either. I actually agree that I am a bit glad that S/S can't win this with a sloppy skate, which is the way things were last year. :lol: BUT, I'm just tired of hearing how much S/Z deserve this more than anyone else. Because I don't think S/Z do.

Custom Title
    Considering how long they've been in the sport, and how far they've come in combining artistry with athleticism, expression and their sheer love of skating itself, I would say they do deserve gold more than anyone else. Which isn't to say that ANY performance by them deserves gold. Its just that they are a storybook couple who have been through so much, fell in love on the ice, and transcended national-lines. No wonder they are the sentimental favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Considering how long they've been in the sport, and how far they've come in combining artistry with athleticism, expression and their sheer love of skating itself, I would say they do deserve gold more than anyone else. Which isn't to say that ANY performance by them deserves gold. Its just that they are a storybook couple who have been through so much, fell in love on the ice, and transcended national-lines. No wonder they are the sentimental favorites.
    What does falling in love on the ice have to do with you deserving gold? B/S were in love before they became partners on the ice and fell out of love if you read Anton's interview, because they paired up. But they were still a far more beautiful team than S/Z will ever dream of being. Natalia and Artur were clearly not in love, but were one of the most passionate teams around. Then there's Tatiana and Morozov, they ARE in love but most of us agree that she would be way better off with another on ice partner, because his skating is not up to her standards.

I don't Aliona and Robin's lack of a romantic relationship makes them less deserving. And I think they are very artistic. In many ways they have been far more innovative than S/Z skating to all kinds of different music and embracing all kinds of diifferent styles. S/Z in contrast I think have only found artistry by skating to one style. I liked S/Z but really I don't think they are the best pairs team of all time. There's a reason S/P and B/S beat them all the time.

And all the teams go through stuff. You don't think it was difficult for Aliona to move to a country where she didn't know the language at her age? Or for Robin, to grew up as black athlete in East Germany? (Although he says he experienced no racism) In an article, they talked about how Robin almost quit the sport because he couldn't find a decent partner. They all work and try hard, all of these pairs.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-14-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I just hope the team that skates best wins.

At the same time , I am so impressed with the way S/Z have come back , and the extent to which they've adapted to today's requirements.
    I 'm also an admirer of Aliona & Robin, and would be happy to see them win if they deserve it. Whatever elements they include in their programs, I have one criticism of their programs in general; many of the positions they take to show flexibility or add difficulty are less than beautiful which defeats the purpose for me. Ingo's fault , so I don't imagine that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by shirley View Post
    Who did they predict to win the SP tonight?
    Basically all 3 said Shen & Zhao, however Sandra did mention about not being too consistant on their SBS jumps. Also Michelle (an assistant there) said that Yuko & Sasha had a strong practice and shouldn't be counted out.

Custom Title
    Can someone please explain the scoring tonight? At least 4 or 5 teams seemed to be majorly overscored. Perhaps it doesn't matter that much bec even the team that, IMHO was overscored the most, D&D are still only in 6th place, but still....I could not believe my eyes as team (L&H, both Russian teams, D&D, etc) after team received wildly high scores for pretty flawed performances.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast