Olympian arrivals and rooming situations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympian arrivals and rooming situations

jcoates

Medalist
Yamaguchi basically did the same think in 92 by training at another facility for most of the time she was in Albertville. It was a pretty big deal back then because most competitors used the official practice facilities up to that point. I believe she stayed in the village for part of the time and roomed with Nancy, but she really did keep to herself. Harding on the other hand arrived late for both Olympics in 92 and 94 to train at home. Kwan didn't stay in the village in 98 but did in 02. Every athlete has to try to find the optimal training and sleeping environment to increase odd of a top performance. Obviously there are no guarantees as above examples illustrate.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Didn't Frank say that Michelle's parents would not let her alone in 1998, not even letting Frank near her off ice? Well thier little plan didint work that well.

Sasha trained at a diffrent rink in 2006 and didn't stay in the village, but i think Shizuka did.

Enero

On the Ice
I think Tara stayed in the Village in 98. She had the full Olympic experience and went on to win the gold. I really think it depends on the athlete. Some people can party hard the night before a big competition and still bring their A-game. Others have to be more focused to stay in the game.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Didn't Frank say that Michelle's parents would not let her alone in 1998, not even letting Frank near her off ice? Well thier little plan didint work that well.

Sasha trained at a diffrent rink in 2006 and didn't stay in the village, but i think Shizuka did.

futureidol

On the Ice
I apologize for being snarky. But there's no need to have a meltdown about it. I was reporting the facts and it's no secret that Evan is rich. Most skaters would not be able to afford the luxury of staying in a hotel for the whole games, and must stay in the village due to finances. Perhaps Evan will be staying in the village to start, and then staying in the hotel the rest of the games or vice-versa. Who knows... I just read in an article that he has the rooms and the two hotels booked and it made it seem like it was all for him, it didn't mention his family. Now if I could just remember where I read it...

Johnny arrived safely last night surrounded by five Royal Canadian Mounted Police while making his way through the airport! I think they were protecting him from the anti-fur crazies.

The Kerrs are stuck in NJ due to flight cancellation :cry:

Tanith & Ben AND Oksana & Maxim (they train together in PA, hilarious pic of Max in the snow on Tanith's twitter) are also having travel problems and may miss the Opening Ceremony :cry: Their Thurs flight has been canceled.

Jeremy Abbott is in the sky at this very moment.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Johnny surrounded by the Mounties....oh I'd love to see a picture of that!

futureidol

On the Ice
Johnny surrounded by the Mounties....oh I'd love to see a picture of that!

Me too Kitt! Me too! There must be a photograph out there somewhere! I heard about it through twitter reports.

Oh it was Evan's twitter where I read about the hotels, and it was actually 3 reservations!

"@merrybari I have 3 hotel reservations and a condo in the village. I will be in control of some serious Olympic real estate."

Last edited:

sidwich

Rinkside
I think Tara stayed in the Village in 98. She had the full Olympic experience and went on to win the gold. I really think it depends on the athlete. Some people can party hard the night before a big competition and still bring their A-game. Others have to be more focused to stay in the game.

Tara stayed in the Village for part of the Games, but her parents also made her stay at a separate hotel during the Ladies Event. My mother worked on the Los Angeles Olympics and was very involved with the athletes' Village, and honestly, most of the medal contenders who could afford it stayed at a hotel for some or part of the games. Besides being a huge party scene, the athletes are staying with people from all over the globe. Which is really cool until you start thinking about all the germs, bacteria and other little critters that you have no built-up immunity from.

As far as Evan, I think Frank Carroll is scarred from Chris Bowman's antics at the athletes' village at the Albertville games. Paul Wylie roomed with Bowman, and Wylie later said that Bowman partied HARD. kept him up all hours of the night and was a general nightmare during the whole experience.

futureidol

On the Ice
Good news! Sinead and John Kerr are in Seattle waiting for a flight to Vancouver, they will make the Opening Ceremony. :biggrin:

Tanith seems to think that the flight for tomorrow is still on, so B/A and D/S might just make it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Some people go to hotels, some people turn their room in the village into a hotel! Johnny Weir (Tanith's roomie!) has all sorts of decorating plans - read all about it! This was the best part:
Weir plans to hang a big picture in his room of Lady Gaga, who he says will be "watching over us, protecting us."
:laugh: Johnny is hilarious.

Last I heard, Brian Joubert wasn't planning to stay in the village, but in a rental closer to the rink; he'll be flying to Vancouver tomorrow. Most of team France were in Indianapolis for pre-Olympic training, but I imagine by now they are in Vancouver.

schiele

Final Flight
Some people go to hotels, some people turn their room in the village into a hotel! Johnny Weir (Tanith's roomie!) has all sorts of decorating plans.

He's a typical Cancerian, isn't he? :laugh: I would've done the same myself.. :agree:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if it's already posted. Stephane, Sarah and the rest of the swiss team, are already in Vancouver. Besides, Steph will be the flag bearer for the Swiss team :)
http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSect=800001&sid=11796245

Awww, Steph won the honor of flag bearer . . . that's so great! I will be jumping for joy (and maybe crying with happiness a bit too) when Switzerland's name is called Friday. I recall reading that the Vancouver Opening Ceremonies were being held indoors, so hopefully that will keep the athletes from getting too cold while they are standing through the parade of nations. I hope Steph is able to get some good rest, some great training, and a lot of beautiful skating accomplished at these Games! :love::bow::yes:

lcd

Match Penalty
A wonder if some of the ladies will go to participate in the opening ceremonies, register and all that stuff, then head home to train for another week or so? For both Rachael and Mirai, it's not that much of a trip.