Olympian arrivals and rooming situations | Golden Skate

Olympian arrivals and rooming situations

futureidol

On the Ice
Johnny Weir has to leave early (today?) due to a blizzard that's going to hit the East Coast. He will be staying in the Olympic village and rooming with Tanith Belbin. He has already sent packages to his belongings to his room and will come baring gifts. He will most likely walk in the Opening Ceremony Friday.

IN article

I know Evan is leaving on Friday, but he has way less distance to travel. He has a room in the Olympic village, and 2 hotel reservations, isn't he special. He will be in the Opening Ceremony.

So everyone else feel free to announce the arrival of your favorites and their rooming situations.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
The two US pairs teams have all ready arrived in Vancouver. Ice Network has a blog going and their first one talked a little bit about their experiences with checking in and getting all their free stuff. Yahoo Sports is also posting articles and news about the US team's arrival but they're obviously focusing on more than just the skating teams. ;)

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100209&content_id=8043436&vkey=ice_news

Bennett

Record Breaker
The Japanese team borrows a house.

Dai is already there.

Mao arrives on 20th.

Yuna also will be there on that day. I read that she will stay in a hotel.

Wicked

Final Flight
I think it's great that Tanith and Johnny are sharing a room. I just hope there will be some room for Tanith's stuff! I read somewhere that Johnny said he and Tanith used to be close but then their friendship cooled. He sounded sad about it. I'm glad they're friends again.

jovani2293

On the Ice
The Japanese team borrows a house.

Dai is already there.

Mao arrives on 20th.

Yuna also will be there on that day. I read that she will stay in a hotel.

Why so late. It is her first olympics. I would think she would enjoy the opening ceremony

seniorita

Record Breaker
Why so late. It is her first olympics. I would think she would enjoy the opening ceremony
I think closing ceremony with a medal is much more fun ;)
ladies to arrive at 12, would be too early, some athletes get anxious being there so many days earlier + they lose training at their own peace.

i love to skate

Medalist
I think closing ceremony with a medal is much more fun ;)
ladies to arrive at 12, would be too early, some athletes get anxious being there so many days earlier + they lose training at their own peace.

I think it is really interesting and neat to see which athletes arrive early to march in the Opening Ceremonies and which are living in the Village. It all has to do with their personal situation and what will make the athlete feel the best. Joannie and the rest of the Canadian team will be living in the Village and will be in the Opening Ceremonies. It is interesting to see that the Japanese team is living in a house and it's been reported that Joubert is also staying away from the Village.

As for Tanith and Johnny rooming together - I don't think it is that unusal for male and female figure skaters to room together. Joannie and Jeff were roomates for years :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He has a room in the Olympic village, and 2 hotel reservations, isn't he special.

not sure why the snippy remark at the end, it doesn't surprise me that he has two hotel rooms... if he wants to stay away from the hoopla or keep people guessing it's a smart thing to do.

not sure why the snippy remark at the end, it doesn't surprise me that he has two hotel rooms... if he wants to stay away from the hoopla or keep people guessing it's a smart thing to do.

Right, he can put up a cardboard cut-out of himself in the window of the first hotel room, then sneak off to the other one. (I assume they are at two different hotals. :yes: )

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The hotel rooms are probably for Evan's family. At the 2006 Olympics he had several family members with him.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i think it is normal evan wants to stay in a hotel, some people cannot cope with so many fuss in the village. If it is anything like the Oly village parties of athens 2004, i would say every top contender should go to hotel:laugh:
In 2006 I think Plush was also in a hotel with most of Oly team, cause he had said with the pairs stuff back in 2002 there was so much fuss and partying in the next rooms he didnt have any sleep between sp and lp.
This time I have no idea where he stays though, i think in the village.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Perhaps the hotel room is for family? Just a guess...

dewey

Rinkside
Also, the flu regularly makes the rounds through the Olympic village. And remember that the vast majority of athletes there are not medal contenders; I have heard that the village is a major party scene. If I were an athlete who needed to be serious and focused at the Olympics, I would stay in a hotel.

schiele

Final Flight
Also, the flu regularly makes the rounds through the Olympic village. And remember that the vast majority of athletes there are not medal contenders; I have heard that the village is a major party scene. If I were an athlete who needed to be serious and focused at the Olympics, I would stay in a hotel.

I understand the decision to stay away from the student dorm atmosphere that is probably going around in the village, especially if it's a top medal contender who just wants to focus on his goal.
Besides I don't think it's anybody's business how many rooms Evan has booked, if he wants he can book 20 hotel rooms and just stay in one. Mocking somebody because of his "queen-like" behaviour is not really appropriate if the issue at discussion is about his personal preferences and does not involve any public statements. I am probably the last person to defend Evan but I don't like the tone and direction of critisim when it is taken out of the skating and media apperances context and taken to a level of attack on these ppl's personalities, behaviours and preferences. Same goes for excessive critisim and attack on Joubert and Plushenko, that seems very unnecessary at times and indicates personal vendetta.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Personally I am not surprised that Evan won't stay in the Olympic village. He did that in 2006, had the "full Olympic experience" and caught a bad flu. He is a very private and focused person, i think he just wants to keep to Frank and his close family until after he skates. After that the party can begin.