Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympian arrivals and rooming situations

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    not sure why the snippy remark at the end, it doesn't surprise me that he has two hotel rooms... if he wants to stay away from the hoopla or keep people guessing it's a smart thing to do.
    Perhaps the hotel room is for family? Just a guess...

Tripping on the Podium
    Also, the flu regularly makes the rounds through the Olympic village. And remember that the vast majority of athletes there are not medal contenders; I have heard that the village is a major party scene. If I were an athlete who needed to be serious and focused at the Olympics, I would stay in a hotel.

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Also, the flu regularly makes the rounds through the Olympic village. And remember that the vast majority of athletes there are not medal contenders; I have heard that the village is a major party scene. If I were an athlete who needed to be serious and focused at the Olympics, I would stay in a hotel.
    I understand the decision to stay away from the student dorm atmosphere that is probably going around in the village, especially if it's a top medal contender who just wants to focus on his goal.
    Besides I don't think it's anybody's business how many rooms Evan has booked, if he wants he can book 20 hotel rooms and just stay in one. Mocking somebody because of his "queen-like" behaviour is not really appropriate if the issue at discussion is about his personal preferences and does not involve any public statements. I am probably the last person to defend Evan but I don't like the tone and direction of critisim when it is taken out of the skating and media apperances context and taken to a level of attack on these ppl's personalities, behaviours and preferences. Same goes for excessive critisim and attack on Joubert and Plushenko, that seems very unnecessary at times and indicates personal vendetta.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    What attack? futureidol said Evan is special, and he most certainly is.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Personally I am not surprised that Evan won't stay in the Olympic village. He did that in 2006, had the "full Olympic experience" and caught a bad flu. He is a very private and focused person, i think he just wants to keep to Frank and his close family until after he skates. After that the party can begin.

Custom Title
    Yamaguchi basically did the same think in 92 by training at another facility for most of the time she was in Albertville. It was a pretty big deal back then because most competitors used the official practice facilities up to that point. I believe she stayed in the village for part of the time and roomed with Nancy, but she really did keep to herself. Harding on the other hand arrived late for both Olympics in 92 and 94 to train at home. Kwan didn't stay in the village in 98 but did in 02. Every athlete has to try to find the optimal training and sleeping environment to increase odd of a top performance. Obviously there are no guarantees as above examples illustrate.

Didn't Frank say that Michelle's parents would not let her alone in 1998, not even letting Frank near her off ice? Well thier little plan didint work that well.

Sasha trained at a diffrent rink in 2006 and didn't stay in the village, but i think Shizuka did.

Custom Title
    I think Tara stayed in the Village in 98. She had the full Olympic experience and went on to win the gold. I really think it depends on the athlete. Some people can party hard the night before a big competition and still bring their A-game. Others have to be more focused to stay in the game.

Didn't Frank say that Michelle's parents would not let her alone in 1998, not even letting Frank near her off ice? Well thier little plan didint work that well.

Sasha trained at a diffrent rink in 2006 and didn't stay in the village, but i think Shizuka did.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Plushy and Papa Mishin leave tomorrow with Leonova.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I apologize for being snarky. But there's no need to have a meltdown about it. I was reporting the facts and it's no secret that Evan is rich. Most skaters would not be able to afford the luxury of staying in a hotel for the whole games, and must stay in the village due to finances. Perhaps Evan will be staying in the village to start, and then staying in the hotel the rest of the games or vice-versa. Who knows... I just read in an article that he has the rooms and the two hotels booked and it made it seem like it was all for him, it didn't mention his family. Now if I could just remember where I read it...

Johnny arrived safely last night surrounded by five Royal Canadian Mounted Police while making his way through the airport! I think they were protecting him from the anti-fur crazies.

The Kerrs are stuck in NJ due to flight cancellation

Tanith & Ben AND Oksana & Maxim (they train together in PA, hilarious pic of Max in the snow on Tanith's twitter) are also having travel problems and may miss the Opening Ceremony Their Thurs flight has been canceled.

Jeremy Abbott is in the sky at this very moment.
    Last edited by futureidol; 02-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Johnny surrounded by the Mounties....oh I'd love to see a picture of that!

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Johnny surrounded by the Mounties....oh I'd love to see a picture of that!
    Me too Kitt! Me too! There must be a photograph out there somewhere! I heard about it through twitter reports.

Oh it was Evan's twitter where I read about the hotels, and it was actually 3 reservations!

"@merrybari I have 3 hotel reservations and a condo in the village. I will be in control of some serious Olympic real estate."
    Last edited by futureidol; 02-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Enero View Post
    I think Tara stayed in the Village in 98. She had the full Olympic experience and went on to win the gold. I really think it depends on the athlete. Some people can party hard the night before a big competition and still bring their A-game. Others have to be more focused to stay in the game.
    Tara stayed in the Village for part of the Games, but her parents also made her stay at a separate hotel during the Ladies Event. My mother worked on the Los Angeles Olympics and was very involved with the athletes' Village, and honestly, most of the medal contenders who could afford it stayed at a hotel for some or part of the games. Besides being a huge party scene, the athletes are staying with people from all over the globe. Which is really cool until you start thinking about all the germs, bacteria and other little critters that you have no built-up immunity from.

As far as Evan, I think Frank Carroll is scarred from Chris Bowman's antics at the athletes' village at the Albertville games. Paul Wylie roomed with Bowman, and Wylie later said that Bowman partied HARD. kept him up all hours of the night and was a general nightmare during the whole experience.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    The Japanese team borrows a house.
    The Japanese figure skaters use both the house and the village.
    At the house they'll serve them Japanese food.
    That was the news in late May.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast