Thread: World's Judges

Hybrid View

Medalist

World's Judges

While I was checking for judges for the Olys I came across comm. 1595 judges for worlds, I'm not sure this an error but Canada has absolutely no judges for any of the events at worlds ! Can the ISU do this ? I think completely omitting a country like Canada from an event with such importance is shady to say the least! It's not only Canada but France, Great Britain, Italy amongst others who have no judges placed for dance,These countries have the top teams in dance and should have representation. The only thing I can think why this might have been done , is because of the low amount of skaters qualifying for each event , regardless of the fact Canada won a medal in every event except for pairs last year, Canada will still be shunned!

Custom Title
    Why is it that Russia has a seat on the panel for every discipline, and is the only country to have that much representation?
    In addition, AZE and UZB have judges "loaned" from Russia, and they each have a seat on a panel.

Here are the stats:
    Judges representing former SSRs: 11 seats
    Eastern European judges: 14 seats
    Western European judges: 12 seats
    Far Eastern judges (CHN, TPE, JPN, KOR): 7 seats
    North America (USA, MEX): 4 seats
    Other (AUS, RSA): 5

So there are a total of 37 European judges, and only 16 from other areas.

Medalist
    I can't find any reasonable answer to why Canada has no judges, I am still shocked by what seems to be a boycott of somekind against Skate Canada, and I wonder if even SC knows? Maybe I should e-mail SC, ugh ! don't know what to do I am so frustrated I could spit!!! Actually I don't care that Italy doesn't have a judge in dance after what Massimo said about V&M , they can fight their way through like everyone else , I used to adore F&S but I can't believe that cheap shot, and how unsportsman like he was! And why oh why is it that only Russia has a judge in every discipline?

Custom Title
    I don't think having competitive skaters/dancers has anything to do with the judges being picked.
    After all, AZE has no home-grown skaters, but seems to import all their "talent". UZB's top skater is Gimazetdinova, who will turn 30 in May and whose top performance at Worlds was 19th in 2007.

Yet AZE and UZB seem to get judging assignments in ISU Championships, as well as the GP and the JGP.

Custom Title
    please look up the ISU rules before complaining.
    There are RULES how the judges are picked. Since there are more countries entered then judges can sit there, it is a DRAW in the beginning of the season.
    AND it´s not like one contry is more important then the other. Bigger countries are not more important then smal countries AND THAT´S A GOOD THING

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1635

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euroskate View Post
    There are RULES how the judges are picked. Since there are more countries entered then judges can sit there, it is a DRAW in the beginning of the season.
    AND it´s not like one contry is more important then the other. Bigger countries are not more important then smal countries AND THAT´S A GOOD THING

I agree!

Figure Skating does not only exist of USA and Canada!
    Last edited by MagicFairy; 03-03-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by euroskate View Post
    it does say draw at the Hilton in Zuruck but who does the actualy drawing? The Judges? or the Council?

Now if they just mentioned how the judges' names show up in the protocols (I believe that is random also) it would make me very happy to conclude that there is no cheating in judging figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    So there are a total of 37 European judges, and only 16 from other areas.
    This alone, however, is not evidence that the draw is being tampered with. 37 judges out of a total of 53 is 69.8%. The total membership of the ISU has something like 44 European countries out of 65 (67.7%).

So this is about what we would expect, in the long run, in a random draw. (Plus several of the the non-European federations to not have any ISU championship qualified judges.)