Which Discipline are you most excited for? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which Discipline are you most excited for?

Which Discipline are you most excited for?

• Total voters

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think the answer to this question is quite predictable: men & dance!

because... the general public tend to be more excited for the discipline which has top contenders from their home country. (there's always an exception, though)

With no top contenders from my country, I still absolutely prefer MEN's! Pairs comes second, but I will watch all of it :rock: I don't understand dance and who should win, but I enjoy watching some of the programmes. For ladies I as always hope for surprises.

I have already lost a degree of Olympic enthusiasm hearing about Lindsey Vonn's injury. Yes, I happen to love the Men's and Women's Downhill race as much as most of the skating.

I am also sad for Lindsey, although she is one of the main competitor for ours Anja Pärson. I really hope she can compete in olympics. I am a great fan of her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd say the men, but I'm pretty sure that it's already decided. as long as Plunshenko stands up he gets the win no matter who else skates his heart out

so I guess Ice Dance.

For the first time in quite a while, I am looking forward to the pairs. Amada Evora, with her fresh attitude of, "I still can't believe I'm at the OLympics! Don't wake me up until this delicious dream is over!" -- that alone is worth the price of admission.

Plus, Denney and Barrett have a chance to make a big splash. :rock:

futureidol

On the Ice
1) MEN'S ALWAYS SINCE I WAS 5
2) Ice Dance
3) Pairs
4) Ladies

Others sports I'm excited about:
Short Track
Ski Jumping
Speed Skating
Curling

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
looking at photos on facebook and icenetwork it looks like the Florida quad are having a fantastic time!

Pairs is what I'm most excited and on edge about. I want to see S/Z crowned king and queen of the skating universe! :love: I want to see if the Olympic thrill impels them to elevate their rather humdrum programs (esp. the SP) into high art. And I'm terrified that age will catch up to them at last. The name of that SP could have been picked by a thriller writer with the plot turning precisely on how they don't live forever. :cool: S/S conceivably have the capacity to beat S/Z, I just pray it won't happen.

I also look forward to seeing Evora and Ladwig again - they add something very special with their elegance - and seeing how the USA's baby champs will deal with Olympic pressure.

As for men - I like too many of them to be disappointed or even to have a favorite. Even Plushenko winning won't upset me as his comeback is so admirable. I'll be screaming when Daisuke and Johnny skate, but Jeremy, Oda, Stephane, and Verner on the podium would also make me happy.

Ladies - Yu Na's superiority and Sasha's absence diminish the excitement, for me. So I hope Mao, Miki, and Akiko excel themselves and make it a true battle. I hope Yu Na skates her heart out so that we can all be proud of our new champion. (It's very hard to imagine any other OGM.) And I'll be on tenterhooks when Mirai skates - I so want her to do what she's capable of.

Ice dance - I fear the competition has been damaged by the controversy around D/S-Russia's costumes. I will be surprised if that team will be scored fairly (although my bad angel says "karma"...). But there should be a great duel between D/W and V/M and I'm very excited to see D/S-France return with such high stakes.

I just love the Olympics!!!

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
Actually, for the Gold medals, there seems to be a lock on each of the 4 disciplines: Plushenko, Asada, S/Z, D/S. I will be anxious to see how that runs out.

Mostly I agree with you except Ladies. Let's be honest-- The Golden Lock for Ladies is Yuna Kim.:)

caseyl23

Rinkside
Pairs/Dance
Ladies
Men

I agree with Tonichelle - I can't imagine Plushenko skating clean and not winning, no matter what the rest of the field throws at him. As for the ladies, Yu-Na Kim has been the favorite all season, but I think the ladies are going to be a little more competitive than the men, especially if Kim shows some vulnerability. As for the other two disciplines - well, in ice dance, I'm not going to try to guess what's going to happen there? In pairs, there aren't as many contenders, but if Shen/Zhao and Savchenko/Szolkowy and any of the Russian or other Chinese teams go clean, wow - that could shape up to be every bit as hotly-contested as the dance event.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm torn between Dance and Men as my most anticipated..but I'm only slightly less excited about Ladies and Pairs.. and for lots of different reasons..so I voted All

:p Is that a cop out ?

I generally get excited about everything. But I must say, I noticed that this season, whenever I had time to come onto the forum, the threads I always looked up first (and mostly posted on) were about the ladies. Is my brain trying to tell me something....

I do hope Shen and Zhao are crowned king of the skating universe, as one of you cleverly said. I'd love a North American sweep of ice dancing, in any order. Men's and ladies' disciplines--I don't even know what to wish for, except that I hope that everyone is at peak form and stays calm and collected. There are three or four serious gold medal contenders for each gender--maybe half a dozen considering the slipperiness of ice.

I don't think anyone's a lock. Gravity is no one's friend.

Can't wait!

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I am most excited about the ice dancing and mens although I am looking forward to the ladies and pairs. I'm expecting quite a show in Vancouver across all the disciplines! I voted for All.

I hope Yuna wins the ladies OGM, but this time four years ago Irina Slutskaya was the lock-in favorite going into Torino and was unbeatable all season, we remember what happend to her in the FS. I hope fate is kinder to Yuna.

I think Plushenko will get the gold medal regardless of what he does, I will be suprised if anyone besides him is on the top of that podium. I would love, love, love for Johnny to medal, in my fantasy he will be the winner. Maybe he will have his Paul Wylie moment. I will be happy if Evan medals too.

For the pairs, I would love to see Shen/Zhao finally be crowned Olympic champions! I would like S/S to medal as well.

In ice dancing, I think Belbin/Agusto will win the OGM. Virtue/Moir and Davis/White would be my guess for the other spots on the podium.

It will be interesting to see if any pre-Olympic predictions come true or if there will be any major upsets....

Go Johnny!!!!:rock:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ladies and Men.

Men are really unpredictable and exciting as a game.
Ladies - I have several skaters that I am rooting for.