Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article "Disses" Plushenko

Mafke

Medalist
IMO he should probably keep his comments about other skaters to himself and focus on his own programs.

Part of me agrees with that wholeheartedly. But another, more interesting, part of me whines: "What's the fun of that?" As the old saying goes, if you can't say something nice about someone, then say nothing and if you can't say anything nice about anyone .... then sit down by me and let me pour you a drink!

Trewyn

Medalist
Sigh, I really love Patrick's skating. His transitions are sublime and his interpretation of his music is always top notch!!! I really would want to become a fan, but seriously; it's his huge ego that prevents me from becoming a real fan. I hope some nuances got lost in the article; he does say true things (transitions are encouraged under CoP, not so much under 6.0; but Plushenko did become Olympic Champion under CoP...). Dear Patrick; just skate a truly amazing long program and I'll forgive you the drama queen behaviour.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Chan believes that Plushenko and Joubert will try and intimidate him with the quad in practice ahead of the competition.

"Of course they'll (Plushenko and Joubert) do it in practice and will nail it on front of me," he said.

:disapp:

Does Patrick really believe this, that the reason why Joubert and Plushenko do quads in practice is to intimidate him?

Riiiight. Wow.

Ugh, Patrick should follow Joannie's example regarding respect towards one's competitors.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Does chan know how old was Elvis in 2002 or Todd? It is just maths.:unsure:
If he thinks Plushy is old, well.. tell him he will be even older in Sochi. :p

Whats wrong this week, all guns on Plush? Sale, Chan, Orser, Buttle..who else is next? This is the moto of Olys there?
Orser and Buttle were fine and class by the way.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I reviewed the thread and then read the article. Then I found the article not as bad as I had imagined before reading it. I could totally see other athletes and skaters making similar comments without appearing offensive.

He's (Plushenko) confident that the quad will really help him, that he doesn't need transitions. He's old, I can't tell him it's not good.
I am actually not sure if this comment should be perceived as offensive. Being "old" wouldn't be seen good in sports. But a possible alternative interpretation of "He's old, I can't tell him it's not good" could be "He is much older than a teenager like me. Indeed, he is among the oldest in the field who has established a lot in the old system. Out of respect, I can't tell him frankly that it is not good."
Just a thought. We can never know the nuances and the tone he said that.

And I think it okay for a young guy to be highly conscious about generation gaps and being critical about older systems. That's how teens should be. This would have been different if he had said something to a lower ranked skater with older ages than himself or he had made similar comments to rivals of similar ages. But Plushenko is pretty dominant and so much older than himself.

"Of course they'll (Plushenko and Joubert) do it in practice and will nail it on[sic] front of me."
He does not say that they will do it in practice and will nail it in front of him in order to intimidate him. That's the journalist's interpretation.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:disapp:

Does Patrick really believe this, that the reason why Joubert and Plushenko do quads in practice is to intimidate him?

Riiiight. Wow.

Ugh, Patrick should follow Joannie's example regarding respect towards one's competitors.

Is Patrick the official spokesperson for Team Canada Skating? :eek: :laugh:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
If he thinks Plushy is old, well.. tell him he will be even older in Sochi. :p

Do you mean Plushenko will be older then? That goes without saying. On the other hand, Chan will only be 23 come Sochi Olympics. In fact, he'd still be younger than Plushenko is now at the 2018 Olympics. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
In fact, he'd still be younger than Plushenko is now at the 2018 Olympics.
yeap he would be like 27 + 1 month and Plushenko is now 27 + 3 months. I mean thats the only striking difference in their skating.:rolleye:
Do you mean Plushenko will be older then? That goes without saying.
yes what patrick said goes without saying as well..
it was a joke.:)

jennylovskt

Medalist
Does he have to open his mouth?!!!!!:banging: It's ruining his skating for me. I have to say that I don't like him as a person.

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
What a snotty little kid.
Plushenko isn't the only skater who has a good chance of kicking him off the podium next week.

Ugh. At this point I'm rooting for Amodio and Brezina over him.

Omg, and how good was Brezina at Euros?!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Without getting into Chan's comments, which at first read like something out of The Onion, I just have to address Chan and Plushenko's achievements in general and relative to age. As we all know, Plushenko is an OGM winner and a multiple World and European champion with a ton of other titles to his credit. He hasn't finished lower than 2nd at any event since the 1998-9 GPF, and hasn't been beaten by any current skater not named Brian Joubert. Patrick Chan is a one-time 4CC champion with a single world medal, who finished 6th at his last international event.

At basically the same age Chan is now, Plushenko was in SLC as a co-favorite, with a World title and two European titles to his name, as well as a complete arsenal of jumps and then some. While I'm not a fan of Plushenko's and never will be, he also had some very creative programs pre-CoP.

I'm not saying Patrick Chan should live in fear of Plushenko or approach skating against him as an impossible task. However, a bit of humility might not be such a bad idea.

Bennett: I think your interpretation is quite charitable... Also, did you get my e-mail a few days ago?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's Chan for you: he's the first grader in the playground telling the 8th graders he can beat them up. The 8th graders are amused, but just walk away and do their own thing.

SHUT UP, PATRICK! You'd do a lot better to practice hard and try to stabilize that shaky 3A. All those transitions won't save you if you splat.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
That's a lot of talk for a kid who can barely land two 3A's in one program (let alone one).

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
Whats wrong this week, all guns on Plush?

I'm sure Plush can handle it ;) And agree with all comments here; Chan should be a lot more humble. He will lose to Plushenko big time and had better not make himself unpopular with talk like this.

Penny

On the Ice
Plushenko boring? No way. His quads are amazing! So he doesn't have the transitions. Nobody's perfect. I wish we had the perfect skater--quads and transitions and musicality. Some come close. But don't count Plushenko out. I love figure skating and value each skater for his or her best qualities. This includes Rachael Flatt. She comes across much better live (I was lucky enough to be able to attend Worlds last year), and Miki Ando, hitting jump after jump in practices at Worlds (including her quad), whereas as much as I love Ciszny, I remember one of her practices where she fell on nearly every jump. I wanted to run out on the ice and hug her and tell her to stop. Sorry to get off point. I just don't like all the bashing. You can have a favorite without totally hating the others.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko is an OGM winner and a multiple World and European champion with a ton of other titles to his credit. He hasn't finished lower than 2nd at any event since the 1998-9 GPF.

I agree with the point of your post, but a small correction: Evgeni was 4th at 2000 Worlds behind Alexei Yagudin, Elvis Stojko, and Michael Weiss.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I agree with the point of your post, but a small correction: Evgeni was 4th at 2000 Worlds behind Alexei Yagudin, Elvis Stojko, and Michael Weiss.
Oh right, I forgot, thanks. 2000 Worlds were so fun, I should have remembered... Still, that's ten years of nothing but silver and gold!

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Wow, someone sure has an overinflated ego, doesn't he? Patrick is in desperate need of a PR handler. Barely beginning his career, but he struts around like the top rooster in a henhouse.